Keep your Carbide Burrs from loading up from aluminum

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid

I'm sure I probably learned this the hard way. I've been working on an aluminum intake and heads and found that I hate it. The carbide burrs load up fast when cutting aluminum. At first to remove it I'd just cut on some steel. About the time I was finished and frustrated, I added a few drops of oil to the burr and it worked like magic, no more loading. It cut cleaner, with no chattering, and faster.

Sid

There is a special type of wax just for that - it keeps it clean and helps it stay sharp- I've used just regular parafin wax to do the same.

Keep a small cup of trans fluid there and dip the burr in it when it loads up. It will clear right out and not clog as quick.

there are special burrs for working with aluminum they are very course and do not load up, also very little chatter. I get them at the local industrial supply place. They also cut very well on steel with very little chatter

there are special burrs for working with aluminum they are very course and do not load up, also very little chatter. I get them at the local industrial supply place. They also cut very well on steel with very little chatter

I also get the stick wax for grinding at the same place, It's not as messy as oils.

There is a special type of wax just for that - it keeps it clean and helps it stay sharp- I've used just regular parafin wax to do the same.

Is that wax called EdgeLube? That is what I use when drillin, cuttin, holesaws, etc. It comes in a tube kinda like a grease tube and is like a white wax. Stuff works exellant.

Is that wax called EdgeLube? That is what I use when drillin, cuttin, holesaws, etc. It comes in a tube kinda like a grease tube and is like a white wax. Stuff works exellant.

The stuff I use is made by lennox. I think it was designed for bandsaw blades but it works good for all cutting. But yes it is in a tube like a grease tube only it is solid like wax.

That must be simular to the same stuff. My ol man get this edgelube stuff from where he works and they use it for drillin and machining. I used it when notchin pipe when we built racecars and it worked way better than any oil. Still use it today when drillin stuff.

I use bees wax from a toilet bowl flange seal for carbide burrs, my band saw blades,and a bunch of other stuff. Very cheep at the home centers.

I just get a candle and keep it in the tool drawer were the carbid bits are. Of coursethe first time my wife saw a pink unused candle I got 50 questions So if you're smart use it at least once. Would have saved mr a TON of head ache haha

welding

started "playing" with aluminum about a month ago. after reading this thread i tried the candle and it worked great. thanks to all for the tips[cl

Latest posts

Back