My '42 Chevy pickup build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MAN, what a kre-ation! With that grille, you gotta call it the "FANG". Great skills! Hope everything turns out OK for you, house and all. perley

Door Gap

Can anyone help me out here

The drivers door on my 42 has been a nightmare and now I have the top figured out but the gap around the sides isreally tight and I was wondering what some of you might do about this problem

Steering column

I am wondering what any of you might suggest for my steering column,I was planning on using the original column but need to know what I can to to get it working right as far as bearings in the column tube and such.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Can anyone help me out here

The drivers door on my 42 has been a nightmare and now I have the top figured out but the gap around the sides isreally tight and I was wondering what some of you might do about this problem

How about the passanger side door? Do you think the body could have gotten a little out of line during the chop? You might have to trim the door a little whit a grinder.[S

How about the passanger side door? Do you think the body could have gotten a little out of line during the chop? You might have to trim the door a little whit a grinder.[S

The drivers door never fit like the passenger door did and I figure that is just because that is the door that got the most use in this old girl. Yeah that is what I am gonna do is just grind the edge down a lil bit and re-weld as i go to get it corrected

Thanx Rat IHC [;)

I am wondering what any of you might suggest for my steering column,I was planning on using the original column but need to know what I can to to get it working right as far as bearings in the column tube and such.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I would think you could reuse the shaft out of it, but I'd make a new tube with bearings or use a little newer column that already has top and bottom bearings in it..

Tim

Shame on me..I hadn't looked at your build in a while, had to go back several pages to see the latest pics of the whole truck..Man that thing is turning out awesome..looks badass!! I just picked up a tunnel ram for the smallblock in my truck build last week..You are alot further along than i am..

Tim

Shame on me..I hadn't looked at your build in a while, had to go back several pages to see the latest pics of the whole truck..Man that thing is turning out awesome..looks badass!! I just picked up a tunnel ram for the smallblock in my truck build last week..You are alot further along than i am..

Tim

Thanx bro!! I have me sealer on the way so it's gettin close to sprayin some color on the cab!!!!

Right on!! If you want to get anything polished let me know I have a buddy that does it at a very reasonable price!! He polished my waterpump and tunnel ram and they were both rough castings and you see how they turned out :)

I would think you could reuse the shaft out of it, but I'd make a new tube with bearings or use a little newer column that already has top and bottom bearings in it..

Tim

Well the tube is in good shape just need to add new bearings but I am not sure what kind of bearings I need to get for that

Well the tube is in good shape just need to add new bearings but I am not sure what kind of bearings I need to get for that

I haven't gotten that far yet so I'm watching closely...
Take some pics of your steering etc. when you decide how it will be done.
Bearings? I haven't even figured out how to tear mine apart yet...lol

I've got a steering column out of my 46 truck, a 54 Chevy car, a 69 Rambler and a 79 Bronco and haven't tryed to see which one would work best.

I haven't gotten that far yet so I'm watching closely...
Take some pics of your steering etc. when you decide how it will be done.
Bearings? I haven't even figured out how to tear mine apart yet...lol

I've got a steering column out of my 46 truck, a 54 Chevy car, a 69 Rambler and a 79 Bronco and haven't tryed to see which one would work best.

I will for sure bro! :)

It's not too bad to take the 42 steering column apart but I have been thinkin about hittin a cpl yards to see what they have for older cars since I am limitied on room in the cab but I will make sure to post what I end up doing and using :)

Home made column

I went to a company here in Pensacola Fl.,called Motion Industries. I used two roller bearings with a stamped steel cage that fit down in the stock tube. They had a small flange around the outside so you can easily tack weld them to the tube. If I'm not mistaken the dimensions are 3/4" ID for the shaft and 1 1/2" for the OD. I also used two 3/4" collars with set screws to lock the shaft where you want it. The whole deal cost me about 18.00 out the door. If you can find a bearing supply house they can fix you up !!! Let me know if you need some pics,haven't made any but the columns still out and I could make you some if you need em !!! I failed to mention this started off as a stock 41 Chevy truck column. 401 I cut my shaft and tube right at the top of the gear box,but if you need more length you'll have to take the gear box apart to get the shaft out.

Last edited:
I went to a company here in Pensacola Fl.,called Motion Industries. I used two roller bearings with a stamped steel cage that fit down in the stock tube. They had a small flange around the outside so you can easily tack weld them to the tube. If I'm not mistaken the dimensions are 3/4" ID for the shaft and 1 1/2" for the OD. I also used two 3/4" collars with set screws to lock the shaft where you want it. The whole deal cost me about 18.00 out the door. If you can find a bearing supply house they can fix you up !!! Let me know if you need some pics,haven't made any but the columns still out and I could make you some if you need em !!! I failed to mention this started off as a stock 41 Chevy truck column. 401 I cut my shaft and tube right at the top of the gear box,but if you need more length you'll have to take the gear box apart to get the shaft out.

Hey, Thanks for the tips. I may just take mine apart to get the length.
Any chance you have the bearing part numbers yet? If not, I'm sure I can find some that will work too.

401ton

AWESOME BRO THANX!!! Yeah if you could get me some pics of the column that would be great!!!

Column Pics

40 1 ton and Lucky here are a couple of pics of the upper part of the column with an el cheapo Speedway quick release for the steering wheel and lower shot with the toe board or firewall mount and both collars are in position. The Speedway release fits the stock solid 3/4" steering shaft. The hole in the lower part of the shaft is to locate the Sweet manufacturing steering joint,which will later be welded after the final fit and round the block test drive. Whats neat about this set-up is you can unbolt the upper mount, floor mount and splined connector on the vega box and slide it out as an assy.,if ever needed. 40 I can't find those numbers,but these pics should help you in your quest. You really need to check the ID of the tube,like I said I believe it's maybe 1 9/16" and the bearing was maybe 1 1/2". It worked fine, the number for Motion Industries here in Pensacola is 850 433 0021 and I believe the guy that helped me was Eddie.

Attachments

• zzzz 366.jpg
    zzzz 366.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 41
  • zzzz 376.jpg
    zzzz 376.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 38
  • zzzz 375.jpg
    zzzz 375.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
40 1 ton and Lucky here are a couple of pics of the upper part of the column with an el cheapo Speedway quick release for the steering wheel and lower shot with the toe board or firewall mount and both collars are in position. The Speedway release fits the stock solid 3/4" steering shaft. The hole in the lower part of the shaft is to locate the Sweet manufacturing steering joint,which will later be welded after the final fit and round the block test drive. Whats neat about this set-up is you can unbolt the upper mount, floor mount and splined connector on the vega box and slide it out as an assy.,if ever needed. 40 I can't find those numbers,but these pics should help you in your quest. You really need to check the ID of the tube,like I said I believe it's maybe 1 9/16" and the bearing was maybe 1 1/2". It worked fine, the number for Motion Industries here in Pensacola is 850 433 0021 and I believe the guy that helped me was Eddie.

Thanks a bunch! I'm gonna give it a try as just you described when I get that far.

Hey, Thanks for the tips. I may just take mine apart to get the length.
Any chance you have the bearing part numbers yet? If not, I'm sure I can find some that will work too.

401ton

Hey, I used bearings from Tractor Supply. They are used for mower decks, and have a lip like described with 1 1/2" od , and 3/4" id. They were perfect for my column build. I did the exact thing and it costs me about $$20 to make. Those bearings aren't but about $5 each.

Latest posts

Back