My 54 Belair

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nazpastordon

Hey guys - just recently bought this car from a older man who lives about an hour and a half from me. I was told I am the third owner, and that he bought it from an older man in Georgia at an estate sale. This car runs and drives GREAT! Fairly straight body, and all original except the 12volt conversion and a different rear end. I have just recently put some baby moon caps on this - and I'm in the process of preparing it for paint. I have always wanted to build a rat rod, and I am excited to see what this becomes. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 54 belair.jpg
    54 belair.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 54 belair 2.jpg
    54 belair 2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 26
  • 54 belair 3.jpg
    54 belair 3.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 54 belair 4.jpg
    54 belair 4.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 54 belair 6.jpg
    54 belair 6.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 54 belair 7.jpg
    54 belair 7.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 25
  • 54 belair 8.jpg
    54 belair 8.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 24
man that machine is tight.... looks like a very solid body to start on, good find! and its nice that it looks so complete. so what... gonna whack a few inches out of the top, maby section and or channel the body. perhaps a coat of flat black polish up the chrome on it and slam it down with air bags?? the possibilities are quite endless with a rig as tight and straight as yours

me... im a diesel mechanic, in the midst of a late 20's dodge truck build that will be a 1.5t dually with a cummins....
you... put a cummins in that thing!!
just throwin it out there, good luck [P

Hey, I found your pictures. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Learned to drive in one of those. My buddy and I would take his moms 54 after school for a ride around the neighborhood. She wasn't home and we were in Jr. High.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

im with tirediron ... low gloss paint ...maybe a satin ...dark green or blue .. cant see what color the interior is on my phone .... maybe drop its rear down a little ... swap out exhaust for something a little noticeable then consider pinstriping or scallops ... its great looking as is ... just needs a little love and a driver really :)

That ride is begging for the mild custom treatment!!! IMO

Drop it in the rear

Spots, (dummy or real)

Caps (whatever you like)

Drive the crap out of it!!!

I remember narrow whites and baby moons! Lower to taste (important), split exhaust, glaspacks for the classic Chevy six sound(important). I had a '56 Ford 4door that was originally two-tone white and black. The white was left shiny and the black became flat black.It sat about 3 inches lower all around with narrow whites and baby moons. Everyone loved it and tried to buy it. I think your top could be left shiny white and a flat blue for the lower body. If these changes aren't enough later on you can always do more. Have fun with it.

If the paint is as good as it looks in the pics, I'd leave it alone and put on some whites and caps, dual exhausts, drop it down all around, and drive it for a while until something really hit you that you just have to do!

Great looking Chebby! I agree with a lot of what's been suggested:)

Split manifold with some Smittys
satin body w/shiny white top or big flake like 67BS said
drop it (a little more in the rear)
shave the back door handles
you got two cool choices on a '54 grille......add teeth.....or sell the teeth out of yours to someone who's looking to add some and have the floating bar look:cool:
Some cool caps like mid fifties Olds with or without flippers or early sixties Dodge Lancers

...the possibilities really are endless, plus it's hard to go wrong with a '54 Chevy:D
Good luck with it and keep us posted.

My ideas so far.....

I have always wanted a true rat rod. Which means I plan on doing all the work myself as well. The original car was two tone, and I want to keep it two tone, but change the tones. The roof will be a flat green - almost army green, and the body will be flat black. I plan on rechroming the bumpers, and adding 4 teeth on the grill. I also plan on giving it two tail pipes as well.

The interior had three different color tones - but I plan on repeating the exterior colors but in a different way. The upper dash will be a glossy army green color ( or some shade of this) , and the lower dash will be flat black. The panels will be a army green Corduroy , and the vinyl will be changed from that blue color to a black vinyl. The seats are original and like new- and will stay the same.

I want to add a working spot light, and lower the back. Oh, and add a awesome stereo system - with the reciever in the glove box- and replacing the added radio - with an radio from this era. Just come of my ideas so far.....any other suggestions?

Latest posts

Back