my new 51

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tattoocharlie

so I recently found this 51 with ford 300 in it,lowered, fairly rust free best of all VIN and title..........for some reason someone welded metal over back windows but left the glass there.........its a newer 300 im guessing 90s...it has all the electrical connections for the good old ignition module.

anyways I pick it up next week.

im gonna post a lot of pics....can anyone help me identify the rear end?????I think its maybe 55-57 car???????I believe 51 was torque tube....this is also a 5 lug.

it also came with all the chrome a lot of intact interior....more than im gonna know what to do with.

Attachments

• 51 chevy.jpeg
    51 chevy.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 57
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 51 1 chevy.jpg
    51 1 chevy.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 47
rear windows

so im looking for opinions....the previous owner "filled" the back windows...welded metal in but left the glass in. SO......leave snd take glass out and finish inside or open windowx back up....WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Open the windows back up. The closed look would have been fine on a wagon to make it a sedan delivery, but look odd on the fastback. Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth, two cents.......:D

Unweld

This has the potential to be great, but those welded up rear windows look stupid. I sometimes wonder what people were thinking when they did stuff.

its a 50 by the way....not 51...

Ok I need a lil help with something...if you look at the headlights youll notice one has had a little fabrication done.Im not scared of a little work but is this custom or is it a kit,Kinda like french kit is.

call me crazy, but i kinda like the back windows covered like that. someone put in some time doing it, (tho it sounds like they didn't do it correctly if the windows are still in)

i think it gives it some history and to take that part youd lose it. assuming it was done a while ago and not last year in a high school shop as a prank.

i hear ya...i think im gonna open them up tho......first things first.....get that eyebrow off or make another.

Looks like some one made some custom mods and then lost interest.
Look at that fender with the eye brow. If they didn't take out the quarter glass before they sheet metal'd over it they may have just layed that eyebrow on over the exsisting fender with out cutting into it.
You could just peel it off.
Hard to tell what it's from because of the angle of the pic.
Looks like it could be a 55 Chevy as the 6 and 7's had a Flatter front edge I think. I guess more square would be another way of saying it. Cadillac eyebrows were another source as well.
Interesting to see a Ford engine in a Chevy. Usually the other way around.

i hear ya...i think im gonna open them up tho......first things first.....get that eyebrow off or make another.

Make another......

I am another one of the odd ones that will say leave the windows covered. It's different, I think that a little off the top would improve the look. But none the less ya do what ya want and what ya like!!!

1950 chevy update

ok so a quick update.....I opened up the back windows....the eyebrow was b razed on top of the fender, WORST OF ALL-- whoever did this believed bondo was the answer. The car is mostly rust free but im pulling bondo up to half inch thick. IT BOGGLES MY MIND...the eyebrow that was brazed has(had) at least 1/4 thick of bondo. Ive removed more bondo off this car than anything ive seen. someone also started fabbing sidepipes to the fenders, instead of welding metal to bridge the gap from the pipe to the fender, they put an inch of bondo in.......WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW I KNOW WHY I GOT SUCH A DEAL ON THIS CAR......its ok im pulling all bondo off and im gonna do it right.

look closely in pic you can see the layer of bondo dust all over the car....lol

Attachments

• car window.jpg
    car window.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 25
  • car window 2.jpg
    car window 2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 23
1950 chevy

this was someones idea of rust repair via bondo. I use bondo but come on [S
SPR0346_zpsb02f7bd3.jpg

it wasn't rust repair(most of it), that's what kills me....this car is very solid, a little rust in the rockers(minimal)and a little in the left rear quarter....floors and trunk pan are completely rust free. The other trouble spot was when they cut the drip rails off they put 1/2 bondo all around the roof and rear windows.

heres another kicker everything was brazed on nicely...but then 100 pounds of bondo.......****TY

but its all coming off and bondo will be used VERY SPARINGLY....I mean if its not a little rusty can you call it a RATROD???????

Latest posts

Back