My Project 36' Ford Pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys

I have been working until past midnight for the last four days. I have the tail end all wired. The under dash wiring is from the Corvair and it is modified and installed. The headlight wiring is run and the turn signal is switch is ready get hooked up. I should have the wiring done this week and I hope to fire the motor this weekend.[dr I have to bleed all the hydraulics first. The darn pinion seal leaks like it isn't even there. :mad:I will have to put a new one in soon or all that expensive gear oil is going to be wasted. I need to mount the battery box it goes in the tool box (Army footlocker) in the bed. It is coming along. I need to get some sleep. Thanks again for following along on this deal it has been a "long time a coming". More later. Steve

The latest on my build

Thanks for looking Dan. Glad to see you found me. Sorry you had to join without having a ride yet. Well I have been burning the midnight oil trying to get the old beast drivable. I ran into the usual gremlins. I had brake line leaks because my flares were not straight. My Blue Point flaring tool flexes so I had to start the flair with it and finish with an Imperial. The Imperial won't grip the tubing because it is weak. I also ran into a problem with the adapter fittings provided with the proportioning valve. They were steel and the tubing would not seat. All the hydraulics are now done.
Paul I want to let you know that I was able to bleed the clutch by opening the bleeder and gravity flowing the fluid. It came right up after a few minutes. I then did a pressure bleed to finish it off. My pedal ratio is way off for the hydraulic combination ('60's GM Pickup) though. I can barely push the clutch. Reminds me of the old days when we would put in some big old clutch assembly. Makes your leg shake. I will live with it for now and either make the pedals longer or change to a smaller bore slave cylinder. So basically the truck is ready to run and drive. My next project is to rebuild the door latches, dovetails and remotes. I will prime my doors and they will be put on. I need a windshield (wind screen to those who drive on the right side). I have to work the windshield frame over i.e. remove the rust from the glass channel, remove the screws that hold the frame together. These screws are rusted fast. My buddy TIG welds to the head of the screws and the heat usually releases the screws especially after having been soaked for days in a rust release product.
Sorry folks for not having recent pictures but i have been busy. I will post some later without so much narrative. Thanks for looking and the encouragement. Later Steve

Glad to hear the clutch bleeding worked out. I know exactly what you mean about having a heavy clutch pedal!!!

The Rat Rolls

Whew! Man these last few weeks have been a thrash. But the '36 rolls on and I made the family picnic on the 4th. I am so glad to be able to drive the truck and not work on it. I was getting tired. I want to thank all the guys/gals who have encouraged me and looked at the progress through the months. The truck drives VERY well. I have a few things to change, like the front wheels need to be reversed so I can improve the turning radius. I can't even turn around in my culdesac. The old inline 6 is a bit tired but crusin' at 65 on the freeway is a breeze with the 5 speed. I had the requisite issues but all has been solved. We are going to have a party for all of the friends and family who have helped me with the build either by providing parts or labor. I can only say without them I would not have started or finished the truck. So without more narrative please have a look. Thanks again all. I will be roaming around this site for hoping to help and encourage. Later Steve

Attachments

• May 2012-12.jpg
    May 2012-12.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 114
  • May 2012-18.jpg
    May 2012-18.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 114
  • June truck 011.jpg
    June truck 011.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 116
  • June & July Truck 005.jpg
    June & July Truck 005.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 119
  • June & July Truck 015.jpg
    June & July Truck 015.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 120
  • June truck 014.jpg
    June truck 014.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 117
  • May 2012-9.jpg
    May 2012-9.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 112
  • July 2012-2.jpg
    July 2012-2.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 142
  • June & July Truck 019.jpg
    June & July Truck 019.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 116
  • July 2012-1.jpg
    July 2012-1.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 122
Appreciation

Thanks Paul and Bob. The truck is a little different in that I did not chop it. I am still debating if I am going to chop it. I thought I would do a little Photoshop stuff and see how it would look. It is a bit to low because I can't get it in and out of my garage without dragging bottom hard.I may raise it up or bag the back. Thanks again. Steve

More news about my ride

Hey all!
I have been driving the wheels off my truck and along the way I have made the required fixes and changes. I changed the distributor because I had a very bad idle and an erratic miss. Eight hours and three used distributors later the motor runs sweet. I also changed from the Rochester Monojet to a Carter "B" because it looks older. All in all I am very pleased with the end result. This winter I plan to put glass all around, sound deadening (Peel & Stick from Lowes), a head liner kit, rubber floor mats and a bed floor. No paint and no chop for now. Two other things that I need to change this winter are to reverse the front wheels for more turning radius and if I can get together the money I would like to put disk brakes on the front. I hate to because I wanted this build to be "old school" and cost less.
I guess the hard clutch I thought I had was because my daily driver is wimpy. When I get into my driver after driving the rod I almost push my foot through the floor
I have been to a few local small rod runs. For the most part the truck is accepted even though it is considered unfinished. I finally learned to tell the judges that it IS unfinished.:eek: I then capture the "under construction" award. I am not looking for awards but it is kind of nice to be acknowledged for your work by those who have piles of dough.
My wife loves to cruise around in the rat. She giggles a lot.:) Our thank you party came off just as we had hoped. Most of those who had helped, gave me parts or just put up with the build (my neighbors) were invited with the requirement they must drive their rods. People on the block thought it was a club meeting. We had conversation (bench racing), fun, food, drink and a cake. What would we do without friends. Man aren't we lucky. Well enough about my ride. I will post some pictures later of our adventures. Everyone keep on building and enjoy or hobby. Steve

Hey all!
I have been driving the wheels off my truck and along the way I have made the required fixes and changes. I changed the distributor because I had a very bad idle and an erratic miss. Eight hours and three used distributors later the motor runs sweet. I also changed from the Rochester Monojet to a Carter "B" because it looks older. All in all I am very pleased with the end result. This winter I plan to put glass all around, sound deadening (Peel & Stick from Lowes), a head liner kit, rubber floor mats and a bed floor. No paint and no chop for now. Two other things that I need to change this winter are to reverse the front wheels for more turning radius and if I can get together the money I would like to put disk brakes on the front. I hate to because I wanted this build to be "old school" and cost less.
I guess the hard clutch I thought I had was because my daily driver is wimpy. When I get into my driver after driving the rod I almost push my foot through the floor
I have been to a few local small rod runs. For the most part the truck is accepted even though it is considered unfinished. I finally learned to tell the judges that it IS unfinished.:eek: I then capture the "under construction" award. I am not looking for awards but it is kind of nice to be acknowledged for your work by those who have piles of dough.
My wife loves to cruise around in the rat. She giggles a lot.:) Our thank you party came off just as we had hoped. Most of those who had helped, gave me parts or just put up with the build (my neighbors) were invited with the requirement they must drive their rods. People on the block thought it was a club meeting. We had conversation (bench racing), fun, food, drink and a cake. What would we do without friends. Man aren't we lucky. Well enough about my ride. I will post some pictures later of our adventures. Everyone keep on building and enjoy or hobby. Steve

Sounds great! I can't wiat to get my truck on the road, I just wanna watch heads turn!

Party pictures

Hey tecster you are right they do turn heads. Some in disgust, other in amazement and most with a smile. I am venturing further and further out from home base with the truck as I gain more trust in it. Been to more cruises and have been meeting a lot of good people. I am not much on sitting in a chair and watching people go by so I mingle. As I mentioned we had a good time at the party and I finally got the pictures together. Here are a few. The sign is from my old business. Don't miss it. Many thanks to my wife for all her efforts with the party and for putting up with me throughout the build Great people and they all had a hand in the truck build in some way. They have some cool cars too. Later Steve

CAN'T POST THE PICTURES I WILL TRY AGAIN LATER

Pictures

Well I found out why I couldn't post the pictures (I went to the administrator). They are too high resolution. I tried to resize them but to no avail. My friend took the party pictures and she has a high resolution camera. I will try some more but my system is old and I may not have any luck. I will take some more pictures as I drive around to show the truck on the road. Thanks Guys Later Steve

Pictures

Well I will try again to upload some pictures. I changed the resolution (I think). Here goes. Thanks for looking and all your nice comments.

Attachments

• July5.jpg
    July5.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 50
  • July67.jpg
    July67.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 71
  • July59.jpg
    July59.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 60
  • July50.jpg
    July50.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 52
  • July45.jpg
    July45.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 47
  • July26.jpg
    July26.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 50
  • July25.jpg
    July25.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 46
  • July23.jpg
    July23.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 47
  • July20.jpg
    July20.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 51
  • July16.jpg
    July16.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 64
Oops

As is apparent one of the pictures is screwed up. I reuploaded it, not that it is important, just because I had mentioned it in another posting. Steve

Attachments

• July20.jpg
    July20.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Update on my truck

Hey all! Hope everyone's holidays are going well and thanks for the nice comments. Well I have put the truck away for the winter and now I will make some additions and changes. I let my nephew and wife drive the truck and he got a little squirrely with it and broke off the shifter( I was always careful with it). I will have to redo it and make it stronger. I will also get the seat upholstery (Army blanket) sewn up so I can put in my "seat belts". They will be some Army web belts I found at the surplus store. I want to add a leaf to the front spring and go with a taller front tire. The tires that are on it now are showing wear on the outside. The camber is way off and my local alignment shop can bent the axle to correct the problem. I mentioned before that I wanted to reverse the front rims to gain clearance to the wishbones. My turning radius it very big. I have heard both pros and cons on the idea of reversing the rims. Some guys say that it will not track well and others say they did it and never experienced a problem. I understand the reasoning behind not doing it (the kingpin centerline needs to end up pointed at the center of the tire tread). I would like to know if any of you guys have done the reverse rim thing and what has happened. Well as usual I got long winded to I will say by for now. Steve

Reverse the wheels. It ain't a race car... I've run 1 1/4 wheel spacer didn't even notice a difference except turning radius.

Started the new truck, I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Kurt

Latest posts

Back