New member with '72 IH Travelall

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XelderX

I was recently gifted an old Travelall and it's too far gone for a nice restoration, but it's perfect for a slam it and let it rust project. I'll have some pictures up in a day or so. First big project is to rip out the front 4wd setup and figure out how to get some airbags in there. I have a lot to learn, but this kind of project is right up my alley.

Used to have a 70 IHC travellall. Had the 345/borg-warner 4 speed. Named it Sampson cause it was strong enough to do anything. If you need to talk IHC, I am here, and I know where tons of stuff for them is if u need it.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm hoping to go pick it up today. I know exactly what you mean about it being a strong vehicle. Everything on it was over-engineered for strength. I would probably not change anything on it, but the brakes are on their last leg and finding stock replacements are near impossible now. I figured if I'm going to have to swap axles on the thing to get better brakes (and by god this thing needs better brakes) I might as well lower it and see where that takes me. I would love to keep it off-road worthy, but it's just too far gone to be reliable in that respect.

Drums are the main thing it needs. The ones on it now can't be turned down any farther.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the 2X4 Travelall front suspension would you. I know the Scouts had a dummy axle, but some said the Travelall 2X4 was independent front suspension.

did someone say IH?

I have had a dozen in the last ten years and there are more to come. As far as swapping yours to a 2wd, it is actually a piece of cake. all of the 4wd's had parallel leaves- shorter in length than the paralell leaf 2wd set ups. If you can get a dropped I beam front axle out of a 1100D or 1110 from the same year range (69 to 75) you can set the front end right down on it. It is literally bolt up. You can spring under the rear suspension, and for more options there, you can flip the rear spring hangers. Using a ford 9 inch rear out of an f-1oo is a good way to go as it should be close to the right width drum to drum. all of the 4wd stuff will unbolt and is easily removed. something I have always thought would be cool is to section out the back doors and make an ih version of a lowrider blazer/bronco/ramcharger.

here is my binder- also a 72- but with a custom grille. There are others in the fleet as well.

Attachments

• 600_camera%20download%20jan%202011%20206.jpg
    600_camera%20download%20jan%202011%20206.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 600_camera%20download%20jan%202011%20201.jpg
    600_camera%20download%20jan%202011%20201.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back