New Project idear

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponchofrailey

Ok i have a soft spot for trucks especially gmc trucks so when i saw this.
http://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/1019575835.html
my one hand went for my sawzall the other for the phone. so anyway its cleared with the wife and i just have to wait till the gentleman gets back in town. so now bags happen i guess. its a strait six three on the tree so yeah this brings back some memories of dwell meters and beer for parts. anybody work on these before, any opinions? its a leaf spring truck with the 3/4 ton chasis. so its bag over axle with four link, dominator 2600 in the back re7's in the front for a softer ride 12 gallon tank 1/2 inch line 3/8 valves 200psi twin 380's.

I have a 66 Jimmy 3/4T with a 305 V6. Love it . Btw the ad says it had the 305 which is a V6.
There are a few things you can do with the motor but not much. Best improvements are a Holley 500 and electric ignition, you can go with a Pertronix or modify a Buick V6 distributor. 3 inch dual exhaust helps a bunch too.

A good source of info on these is www.gmc6066.com

Attachments

• gmc engine.jpg
    gmc engine.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 37
Stay with dot 5 for the blinkers.

I had one of those big v-6's in a gmc school bus that I made a toy hauler out of years ago. It ran great with enough power, and that was in a 66 passenger bus!

You need the plaid valve covers

The story goes that in the early 60's the 305 V6 was not known as an economical engine.(big surprise)

The engine guys were running dyno tests of different carb and cam combinations and to identify the engines already tested they applied self adhesive shelf paper to the valve covers. You guessed it they were using plaid paper.

And wouldn't you know it, along came the marketing folks.

I have never seen a set in person but if I found a nice set I would probably buy them:rolleyes:

Attachments

• PlaidCovers-01.jpg
    PlaidCovers-01.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 17
And maybe sum 3 1/4 in muffler bearings
and sum dot 6 blinker fluid.

OK well this is what i know about blinker fluid. We had a newer gmc truck at the body shop one day hit in the pass side door the mirror was broke and a fluid was dripping out. Now this vehicle had the turn singles in the mirrors. I guess this is how they work the fluid lights up when a current is applied to it making it blinker fluid.

Latest posts

Back