No other like it.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate waiting for stuff when I'm ready to move forward. I guess you really can't expect anything else right before the Holiday. If this is warranty work they may not be very motivated to hurry.

... until they get a call from a lawyer, or someone pretending to be one!? :D

Cool. What keeps it in place?
I'm making some simple brackets similar to the originals, that go on the top door hinges.

I just called the turbo place. They've had it for 14 business days, and still haven't taken it apart. They're open on Saturdays too, so really they've had plenty of time.
They got it on November 15th. I called on the 19th, and the guy said it was on the bench, and he'd take it apart and call me back the same day. No call.
I gave it a week, and called again. He said it was on the bench, and there was a couple of carbs, and a turbo or two in front of it, and he'd call me when he got to it.
I tried calling December 2nd, and got no answer, then the 4th, no answer. Then I called 32 minutes ago, and got an answer. He said he was eating lunch, the turbo was on the bench, but still hadn't been taken apart. He said to give him 10 minutes, and he'd take it apart and look at it, then call me back. "It only takes 5 minutes to take apart", he says, and he was finishing lunch. Yeah, sometimes I eat lunch at 3pm too. It sucks.

They must have a gigantic bench, where they store everything in the whole shop. That way they can say "it's on the bench", no matter who calls.

If you're running out of room to store things, send some of it to these guys for repair. They'll hang onto it for you for a while. www.lowbugget.com

I'm thinking they have taken it apart and don't know what to do about it.
Probably time to start calling everyday.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I went from calling every week, to every other day, to every day, until I got an answer of some sort.
I waited an hour for his 10 minute callback. I just called and talked to him, and he had it apart. He said the seal is sticking, and the spring behind it that preloads it against the sealing surface wasn't pushing it out. He's gonna pop a new one in and hopefully that will do it.
If not, I'll buy a seal from someone else, put it in my original backing plate, and fix it myself. I know someone with a tig welder and a mill and lathe. Dan!

While I was waiting for his call, I browsed around online to check out his business. The feedback doesn't look good at all.

So the guy told me he was gonna put the new seal in, and he'd call me when it was done, to charge me for shipping to send it back to me. :rolleyes: Not wanting to upset the delicate balance of his willingness to actually fix the thing, I just said okay.
I figured that when he called for that, I'd ask him to throw in some new oil line gaskets, since I've taken it off so many times, the old ones are no good. Actually part of the gaskets were on it when I sent it in. No call. Nope. Then I got a slip in the mailbox on Thursday, that said I had a package from him at the post office. He must have sent it out Monday, but he never called to ask for shipping money. So I picked it up yesterday, and opened it up, and it's all cleaned up, old gaskets cleaned off, both new gaskets in a little plastic bag, and a new o-ring for the compressor. That was a nice surprise.

So, last night, it sat on the table next to me as I did math homework, and studied for a final exam. But today when I get off work...

The turbo is fixed, and I drove it!

I got it put together and started up, and the exhaust was still full of oil from the last time. It smoked and stunk and made a scene again. The neighbor came out and checked to see if I was okay. It took awhile to get all of the exhaust hot enough to burn all that oil out, and off the outside too, since it had run all over the place. It finally cleared up and doesn't smoke at all now, not even a little.

I took it around the block a couple of times, even a quick stint down a main road. I brought it back to the front of my house and made a couple black stripes on the street. Yup, it spins those big tires. I'm sure it helps that they're old and hard.

The right front brake is dragging. Actually both fronts are, but mostly the right one. I'm thinking I didn't need the residual pressure valve on the front, and maybe not even on the rear. Although, the rear brakes don't seem to be doing anything. They didn't even get to 90 degrees, the left front was around 380, and the right front was about 440 degrees.

The poly coolant tubing is still holding.

The turbo is fixed, and I drove it!

I got it put together and started up, and the exhaust was still full of oil from the last time. It smoked and stunk and made a scene again. The neighbor came out and checked to see if I was okay. It took awhile to get all of the exhaust hot enough to burn all that oil out, and off the outside too, since it had run all over the place. It finally cleared up and doesn't smoke at all now, not even a little.

I took it around the block a couple of times, even a quick stint down a main road. I brought it back to the front of my house and made a couple black stripes on the street. Yup, it spins those big tires. I'm sure it helps that they're old and hard.

No one believes you. We need PROOF !!! And you know what that means ...

"This post is worthless without ... VIDEO !!!" :D

I guess a dragging brake is less of a problem than NO BRAKES!!!
Video would be nice, but so would a pic that big toothy grin that comes with the first drive.

Congratulations it doesn't get much better than that.

Thanks guys!

That was a GOTCHa'? I was hoping you were there during the first ride. I guess I could drive the 2 or 3 miles and see it for myself.

It's 3/4 of a mile. :cool:
I took him for a ride today. My phone is totally full, so I can barely take pictures, and video is out of the question at this point. I'll get it soon though.

I cleared out about half a gig on my phone, so I might get some video this weekend. Meanwhile, I finally got the generator mounted. I bought a generator bracket on eBay, but it wasn't really right. A little time with a hammer makes everything better.

Then I finished the fan shroud. I put a neoprene baffle along the edges, and closed in the ends.

The top row of copper rivets holds the seam together, the bottom row holds the baffles on each side.

Latest posts

Back