Ok, the cat is out of the bag!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking forward to seeing you, Bill, Jim Robinson, John, Glenn, and everyone else from here that goes this year. Nice thing is, now we have two chances per year to get together..........Turkey Run and Billetproof. :D:D

Don

Wow Don, very nice work.
I had the steel delivered today for the Fiat frame and I found this thread very inspirational and motivating. Thanks.:D

I ended up starting on page 18 and going backwards almost half way, loved it.

Don, it is really great to have you and your son around. Over the past couple years this ride has changed and you two have been the motivation to alot of members here on this forum and other forums too. Great work from the both of you. We all look forward to seeing a video of the beast in action, on the road.:rolleyes:

Thanks again for the progress on your rides.;)

Maximo

Hey, Don I am new here and have read the hole thread all I can say is WoW nice work and did I say Nice work thanks for posting the thread. Chauncey

wow i have just read this intire post and i gotta say WOW that is so awesome i thought about using one of thoes bodies but wasnt sure if they would be worth it that build looked great (sedan) then better (rpu) then looks awesome (new rpu) great work all the way around!

im gonna call it, don is up to something. not posting much and no new pics...or maybe hes just out cruising instead of sitting on the computer? good for you either way bud! back to the shop!

I really, really apologize to all of you who have been asking questions on here, I just never checked back to see any of them. I hope you don't think I was ignoring you, I'm just "Computer Challenged" :eek:

Ok, we do have a little to update..........actually we are really seeing progress since the first of the year. Things pretty much came to a halt in about August-September because Dan took a promotion at work and is working 12-15 hour days, and I went back to work, so my time is limited to help him. But we vowed to change that after Christmas, and we have started making time to hit on it.

The frame was pretty much done in September, but with Dan it is never done. He kept finding things he didn't like about it and places he wanted to add reinforcements. He is always worried it isn't strong enough even though this thing is built like a tank. He added two more round braces to the rear kickup which we bent out of 1 3/4 tubing, and he mounted his battery in that area too. He added one more brace across the back to hold his fuel tank, and finished welding some minor stuff. Finally last week we hauled the frame to the powder coater for sandblasting.

Since he is trying to get this frame as straight as possible, we found a product called Tiger Drylac EPO Strong and are using it to fill the low spots and dings prior to powder coating. It is made for that process and can handle the high heat used in baking and also is conductive so the charge will make the powder stick until baked. After sandblasting we brought the frame home and spent this weekend sanding it smoother and then applied a skim coat of the Tiger stuff. It has to cure for 2-3 days before we can sand it out, and tonight we are going to try doing that.

We also hauled a lot of parts to the powder coater this morning, stuff like his rear end housing, brake parts, etc. He is doing everything in gloss black, with a chrome front end and some chrome suspension stuff out back too. The look he is going for is '50's roadster kinda, so it will be sort of like a black and white photo when done.

Our plan is to return the frame for powder coating maybe Wednesday of this week, and hopefully in a couple of weeks we can have an actual rolling frame and chassis set up. Here are some pictures we took of the frame when it came home and after we sanded on it for another 10 hours on Saturday. I am still sore from all of that work, but it made it a lot straighter.

Again guys, thanks for asking and sorry I didn't see any of your posts. :eek:

Don

Here is the first time his frame has moved down the road.:)

dansframegoingtosandblaster001.jpg

This is it back from the sandblaster.

dansframebackfromsandblaster003.jpg

Hehe, I picked up all the small parts we dropped off at the powdercoaters, and boy, did they come out NICE !! :D I will never paint another part again. We not only had them coated in black but had them clear top coated, so they are really shiny and deep.

Dan hasn't seen them yet, so I didn't want to unwrap everything, but I had to peek. Here is what they look like. The frame in cooling from the last coat too, so we can pick it up today later on. Can't wait to see how it came out.

Don

partsbackfrompowdercoater001.jpg

partsbackfrompowdercoater002.jpg

partsbackfrompowdercoater003.jpg

Thanks. If the frame looks half as good we'll be happy. At this stage Mary Carter house paint applied with a roller would be good enough............we just want this thing DONE !!! :D:D:D:D

Don

OH MAN! That's nice. When is the chassis coming home? I wanna see some shiny parts bolted together :D

and that also reminds me that I need to pull my front brakes apart and drill my backing plates.

Latest posts

Back