Old builds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregster

Today things were a little slow at work so I started looking through the builds section. There are so many build threads that just leave everyone hanging .... with just a little left to go on a build . I know a lot of people will get online and start a build thread , some of the cars are never completed and left for dead after their interest is gone , some have just never completed their threads and the cars are rolling down the hiway each weekend . I'm interested in knowing how their story ends or continues . I think it's in our nature as hot rodders to try and salvage something or bring something long forgotten back to life. If you have time one day look through the build threads (way back ) see if you have a build thread that needs completion . I've noticed the last few weeks there has not been a whole lot of new builds started , probably due to the weather and the christmas holidays---- let's dig through the old stuff to find something new or old to talk about , or if nothing else we all get to see some pictures that the new guys have never seen and the older members will get a smile out of . [P

Well said. Here's mine...

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4816

Your right though. I was looking through mine and noticed how much stuff I left out at the end. I think it was because I was so excited to get it on the road I forgot about my thread. I think at some point I'll go back and add some of the tings I left out. Part of my problem was we had our camera stolen towards the end of my build and we just got a new one.

I'm a newbie and am proud to say I stuck with mine and now it's drivable... well kind of. I broke down the front end to swap out my radius rods to cure some clearance issues, but I have driven it and will be back on the road in less than a week.

I've also noticed a few who have abandoned their thread because they started another build with another thread.

Let's keep our brethren inspired to keep on keepin' on!

If you see a build thread that's really noteworthy post a reply , this will bring it to the top of the builds page so others can see and comment on it

Had put my build on the back burner but I hope to start working on the model A this spring[P

Heck, I can't even get my build on the stove much less the back burner! I'm hoping to get something moving on my build by Spring too. I've said that for three years. Thank goodness I still have hope. [cl

if i start it.
i finish it.
otherwise i am throwing my money and time in the toilet.
i never understood just stopping.
why?

My excuse is an almost complete lack of funds due to my lay off last year, a drawn out divorce, I still can't find a job, I have kids to feed plus my own survival, and nobody is willing to help build it with me because I'm a complete novice at building something like a rat rod. I'm just grateful for the few people who have been kind enough to donate some parts and labor toward it so far. They know who they are here. It's gonna get built if I have to live in the darn thing one of these days. Like I said, thank goodness for hope.

T1

Rods are toys. You work on them when the stars (tiime and money) are aligned. Going low-buck helps with the money part, but quality time to be creative is what is hard to find.

Being in the right mood when free time comes is the trick. Sometimes I have to wait on the next inspiration for what to do next, before I dig in.

These things aren't restorations, they are creations.

I've probably got one of the projects that has set on the back burner longer than most. Sometimes life just gets in the way. For me, I'm guilty of getting into too many projects and even the easy projects grow after they're unloaded off the trailer. You know, I'll just freshen it up a little......well maybe a quick paint job............let's shave the door handles while we're at it on the paint...etc..etc.. Get the picture? And...........I just enjoy fabrication!

I've tried to cut back on the extra projects over the last couple of years and I've tried to just concentrate on the 55. Heck I'm only 62 and I've had my F100 for 23 years. Guess I better get to work! Would someone pass me my welding helmet? [;)

Drewski

My excuse is an almost complete lack of funds due to my lay off last year, a drawn out divorce, I still can't find a job, I have kids to feed plus my own survival, and nobody is willing to help build it with me because I'm a complete novice at building something like a rat rod. I'm just grateful for the few people who have been kind enough to donate some parts and labor toward it so far. They know who they are here. It's gonna get built if I have to live in the darn thing one of these days. Like I said, thank goodness for hope.

T1

if i had to go through that i'd be singing a different tune.:(
no offense meant.
bill

OK, here's my excuse..... It's not on the back burner, it's in the freezer...hee hee. I had a wood stove, but my son and family didn't have heat so I gave the stove to him... Ah spring isn't that far off.. I'll get back on this ole ride when it warms up some...

Attachments

• 49 fleetline 016.jpg
    49 fleetline 016.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 49 fleetline 005.jpg
    49 fleetline 005.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 12
The ole "Dark Sarcastic" truck is still in the garage waiting to get the tranny rebuilt. As soon as I have updates and updated pics, they will get posted...

T1

People don't understand life gets in the way of playing hot rod guy sometimes. Especially if you build it yourself. Most people can't just go pay to have a car made, or buy one already done. It's not a lack of passion or desire, but time and or money. As well as family responsibilities. I also work on my car by myself. [;)I live in Gallatin 45 min. North East of Nashville if you want to hook up sometime. Help each other on our rides. I'm not divorced, but I do have 2 kids, 7 month old and 2 1/2 years, and I am also out of work. I feel your paIN....:mad:

Its had to find time for everything. The thing that I have realised recently and thought I'd mention for the guys with younger kids is to spend lots of time with them, rat rods and hot rods can always be build. My daughter recently joined the navy, now I can't even see her for several weeks,only talk on the phone for a bit. So you start to think,I should have spent more time,done more stuff with her instead of always working and building stuff. I got lots of time for that now!!!!

Latest posts

Back