Original or S10 Frame - are there rules?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont think there is anything wrong with using a s10 frame but i am kind of bias also with the air bag thing here is my project with both. http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7377 i do agree about only using a ifs on cars or trucks that will run fenders if you want fenderless then i think a straight axle is the way to go. and ps we mini truckers (yes i consider myself a mini trucker) like the rat rods and alot have started building some of our own

It comes around to "rules". Some rodders think there are some......many don't. I love the looks of a "bagged" truck. (Just can't afford 'em.) I build what I want.....you should too. Besides, if you are striving for acceptance, ....guys drivin' rats don't get much of that. LOL

Shakey
i have given up on the whole "acceptance" thing years ago. besides having earings and a tattoo in a jewish family, the firefighter thing doesnt sit well with some of the family either. the first thing that my entire family was accepting of was when i told them i was finally getting a divorce

The IFS front end can get you disc brakes and better steering, but your sacrificing some looks. A straight axle is clean and uncluttered.

If you don't move the front wheels out, you'll have that big overhang. Either way, you'd need to figure out what to do with the steering box out front. It's about proportions. Don't go into it expecting it to look like a straight axle suicide front end. It won't.

But it's your ride - build it how you want. Just be sure to drive it! As for bags - go for it! I put bags on mine cause I want it on the ground when parked.

If your rod hasn't upset any one, your still inside the box.

im sure that my project will upset some. depending on which project i go with, it will be the bags or the pipes or if i go with my last project; it will be the fake 50 cal on the rear.

acceptance? whats that? Im running an ifs suicide no fender set up on my model a. fiero front suspension. Thunderchicken independant rear suspension. There are no rules. Hot rodding by definition is looking at the rule book, ripping it up and saying yeah, but what if?

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to need to hunt down some pics of both as many as I can - so I can see for myself a few things you guys are pointing out - in regards to proportions etc.

Thanks for your help here.

There are no rules. Hot rodding by definition is looking at the rule book, ripping it up and saying yeah, but what if?

AMEN!!!!!!!

And that right there my friend, is what i was trying to explain. Im glad that there are a few of you out there that see this in the same way i do. Take what you can and make it run. As fast, slow, high, low, short or long as you want or can.

Who says a rat cant have bags and still have soul? make it run when it looks like it shouldn't, that is the only rule that i want to follow really.

acceptance? whats that? Im running an ifs suicide no fender set up on my model a. fiero front suspension. Thunderchicken independant rear suspension. There are no rules. Hot rodding by definition is looking at the rule book, ripping it up and saying yeah, but what if?

Hmmmm..... I'd be interested to see some pics, when you've got the time. I've always kinda wondered what the front of a Fiero would look like "out from under the plastic." :D

Your truck's lookin' pretty cool- I just DIG those running boards, what a great idea!:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

You'll get as many opinions as there are people. There will always br the 6'6" guy who claims his A coupe with an 8" chop and 12" channel is comfortable. A lot of rodders want the safety and convenience of a modern chassis, with the easy to find 350/350 drivetrain and the cool looks of an old rod. Personally I love driving a solid axle front, it's a lot of the charm of an old pickup to me.

Shea, maybe suicide wasnt the right word for my front end, its out in front of the frame but behind the grill. anyway, here u go on a pic.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 26
  • other 014.jpg
    other 014.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 19
s 10

build what you like don't matter safe is key no right or wrong way it's your way i like s10 with fenders no bagges (thats me) have seen good fenderless s 10 also

Attachments

• ebay sale_19 (640x480).jpg
    ebay sale_19 (640x480).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 21
  • ebay sale_25 (640x480).jpg
    ebay sale_25 (640x480).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 20
  • ebay sale_18 (640x480).jpg
    ebay sale_18 (640x480).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 18
  • ebay sale_23 (640x480).jpg
    ebay sale_23 (640x480).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 21
  • ebay sale_20 (640x480).jpg
    ebay sale_20 (640x480).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 15
Thanks guys for your input here. Helps a ton.

I feel I get where most are coming from. Now I just need to look at how each of them look on each frame or setup - so I can tell the difference on my end. I believe I already know - but want to be absolutely sure about what I am looking at - to make sure I am educated in my decision on which way to go.

Here are some ifs rods I had saved, some I liked and some I didnt but helped in building mine.

Attachments

• fc864c82.jpg
    fc864c82.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 34
  • post_2365_6367.jpg
    post_2365_6367.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 38
  • ratrod3.jpg
    ratrod3.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 37
  • truck_low23.jpg
    truck_low23.jpg