Stockton Wheel WENT OUT OF BUSINESS!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyce51

I just went to Stockton Wheel's website and it says as of March 31, 2011 the are out of business!!! That sucks!! I have done business with them in the past and I was going to order my wheels from them now...:confused:

So now that they are gone I have to find someone who makes a "stamped steel" wheel in 15 X 12 or 15 X 14.

The owner, Frank, died last week or week before, so it closed. I did business with him years ago, he built the back wheels that are on my 27. No one else could make the offset and early Ford hub cap pattern I needed, but he did and they are still on the car.

Try Superior Wheel, or buy Superior's wheels from Coker. Wheel Vintiques used to be Cokers vendor but are not now. Lots has been written about Wheel VIntique quality not being so hot and we got a brand new wheel from them a few years ago that wobbled right out of the box.

Other poeple swear by Rally America, but we had a problem with them a few years ago where they kept promising to ship some wheels and never did. But that might have been isolated.

Don

we have used them a couple times in the past to widen or narrow stock wheels. Alway excellent service and quality work. sad to see them go out.

i don't know if it is true are not but i was told he took his own life. if it is true it is vary sad.

from a truck publication 2008.

"Founded in 1883, Stockton Wheel Service is kind of like the Forrest Gump of the wheelwright industry. From its earliest beginnings as a manufacturing arm for Holt tractors the company has focused on producing specialized applications throughout its history. Just two of many notable instances were the Stockton wheels used to transport the space shuttle to the launching pad, and on the custom-built Ford F-600 truck that was used to haul former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein to the gallows."

we had a 59 year old local garage owner, collector of 55-57 chevys and parts, excellent guitar player and well liked in the community just walk out back in jan and shot himself. found out after that he battled depression his entire life. might have just went off his meds for a couple of days. If it is clinical then it doesn't matter how good they have it they just don't see it like the rest of us. :(

I know. Whenever someone takes their life some people say they can't understand how a person gets to that point. Well, I do. I suffer from no depression issues whatsoever, but at one point in my life many years ago things got so bad financially for us that if it weren't for the fact I was leaving a defenseless family behind I might have gone the same route. When it becomes painful to wake up every morning and face another day you start thinking you just want the pain to stop.

I'm not saying that is right, but simply the reality of how a person can get to that point in their life. He could have also had some serious medical condition that had him in so much pain he couldn't stand it any longer. It's impossible to judge any other man for any decision he has made because we are not him.

Don

I have heard a lot of unsatisfied customers on other forums over the last few years. A few responded that they were very happy and got their stuff fast, others said it took forever or the wheels weren't what they ordered, or both.

wheels

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but did we ever decide what wheel company to use now that stockton is out, I need to get some steel 16 x 7 wheels with 2" backspacing built, and have no clue where to turn, or call. Any help would be great, thanks in advance everyone.

You might try Superior Wheel Co. I would have suggested Wheel Vintiques, but there has been a lot posted everywhere in recent years about not so good things there. We had a bent wheel right out of the box from them that we got from Coker a few years back. Coker has now switched to Superior, so that might say something about that too.

Wheel companies are notoriously hit or miss. All of them have people who either swear by them or at them. Everyone on a certain forum raves about Rallly America, but even on there recently there was a thread where some people were saying they were having non communication issues. We had a bad experience with them years ago too.

There is also a company called Wheel Smith, but I know little about them.

Don

Stockton Wheel Re-Opening

Stockton Wheel will be back in business under new ownership. No details on when and who the new owners wil be just yet.

Early Wheels in So California has been acquired by Bear Metal Customs and will build just about any style wheel you need. I have had excellent service from them. Great pricing and FAST delivery. Call 805-772-7997 and ask for Jason.

Latest posts

Back