Stop smoking!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting timing with this thread. I just welcomed my 1st into the world less then a month ago. I've been smoking 2+ packs/day for almost 10 years now. It's become a lifestyle. Almost anything I do during the day is a trigger.
I went through my finances the other day and calculated p what I spend on this things and I about choked!
I'm to a weak person. I stopped some fairly heavy drugs, that most people need serious therapy and other drugs to quit, overnight. Cold turkey, and never looked back. But for some damn reaso, these things still have control over me which is ridiculous!
I'd like to hear from those of you that have quit, what worked for you?

I am an ex smoker. I recently had the temptation again when someone gifted me a box of premium Cuban Cigars. Had to give them away. Damn things are like nothing I've ever tried before. Get a hold on a man's soul!

I used to present a 7 day stop smoking plan. At about five days a hard core smoker is looking like a zombie. Grey and dead looking.

Smoking is harder to quit than cocaine or heroin. Most people will need eight or nine serious attempts to get clean. Just take it in stride If you have a fall back. No one here was successful at everything the first time. Find out what triggered you and plan for it next time. If you want it bad enough, plan and try again.

Its life baby and you gotta fight sometimes. If you fail, don't beat yourself up! Its like anything else you want to do. Find a successful person, talk to them about their fight, and use them as a mentor. Model yourself after successful people.

gold03

Just over 6 years smoke free after 30+ years of a least a pack a day.
I tried most things with no success but seeing my kids watching me smoke and realising thats how I started was my incentive.

I think what EnglishBob said would be one of the greatest reasons for quitting...........not only are you harming yourself but your little ones are watching everything you are doing and probably will want to be like Dad and pick up the same habit. In a way, you are infecting the people you love more than anything in the world with a life of harming themselves too.

It has to be VERY hard to quit and to stay away from them because so many people try and fail. As I mentioned, my ex is an RN who worked in a cancer ward and she has seen first hand what it does to people who have smoked. But she still smokes a pack a day minimum. Her own Mom is living by dragging an oxygen tank along with her, but even that has not put a dent in her habit.

My suggestion is to try everything until you find what works for you. There are programs set up by every State to help people. We have "Smoke Free Florida" here in our State, and I bet the other 49 States do too. Try the patch, the vapor cigarettes, hypnotism, and every other method you can. There is one that will work, you just need to find it.

If you don't do it for yourself, do it for the people who love you and who look up to you as a role model. They deserve you to be the best Dad you can be and need you in their lives for a long time. Just imagine how their lives would be if you weren't around to take care of them.

End of soapbox. :)

Don

Strange thing.....

I've never smoked and both my son's picked up the nasty habit.....not sure why other than all the guys they were hanging with smoked....I've talked to them both and they blow it off....my Mother and father both died of Emphazema / COPD from years of smoking....both stopped but only after they started to have problems....

Bruno, wish you all the best my friend....God bless man....get it taken care of and get back on your feet.....never a bad time to stop smoking but never a good time to start.....wish I could talk some sense into the boys heads.....:(

Interesting timing with this thread. I just welcomed my 1st into the world less then a month ago. I've been smoking 2+ packs/day for almost 10 years now. It's become a lifestyle. Almost anything I do during the day is a trigger.
I went through my finances the other day and calculated p what I spend on this things and I about choked!
I'm to a weak person. I stopped some fairly heavy drugs, that most people need serious therapy and other drugs to quit, overnight. Cold turkey, and never looked back. But for some damn reaso, these things still have control over me which is ridiculous!

I've never smoked so I really can't be an authority on how to quit but I can tell you why to quit!

photo-627.jpg

Do it "cold turkey" today!

I'm back from the hospital, tumor was cancerous and so was one lymph node. They removed on third of my right lung. After chemo my prognosis is good. This was and still is the most painful thing i have ever been through. As i said before i'm not looking for sympathy because i have no one to blame but myself.
All of you young guys please read everyones posts and pay heed to them. I know you all think it will never happen to you, well, i didn't think it would ever happen to me!
Thanks for all the kind words from everyone, i really appreciate it.

Snakefarm that one picture says it all!

Bruno I hope you kick it's @$$ , fight .......

We all know what we should do, but what we really do, is what we want..

Cigarettes are 3 times more addictive than heroin ??? Those that are addicted to heroin have to have medical treatment to break that habit ?????

IT'S HARD TO DO !!! I know because I try to STOP constantly... I hate it !!!!

Bruno you can beat this crap....

you have my prayers and I'm sure everyone elses too....hang tough my friend....do what you need to do and get better.....God's with you through this all....

I'm not totally done with smokes but I did go from 3 packs to less then 1 a day. First thing I set goals and stuck to them, No smoking in the house or car. I changed brands (went to a 100% additive-free natural tobacco) it took 3 weeks before I could even taste them. during the 3 weeks I dropped 2 packs a day. My grand kids (3 & 4) are the last push to quit. After listening to them talking about people smoking it has made me stop smoking even out in the yard if they are around my house.

Bruno, keep the faith, every day they are having better success beating cancer. I work with a man who had stage 4 cancer (not sure where in his body) and they basically gave him a few months at most. He underwent heavy chemo and is now cancer free and living a pretty normal life. He did loose his spleen and has immunity issues, but he feels better every day.

Another friend had throat cancer and also did chemo. He is now cancer free too and is back to work and living a normal life once again.

We are all in your corner here and have you in our prayers. You have also done a wonderful thing, trying to keep some others from having the same medical issues as you had from cigarettes. Maybe you have saved someone's life.:)

Don

Just thought I would bring this back up because we have a lot of new members. As a side note I am now cancer free according to my oncologist. Feeling good and am back in the garage (when the weather allows) working on the 37. For you new members who go to the first unread post, please read the whole thread. The members on here posted a lot of good information that you should read.

Bruno,
Glad you're doing better. Hang tuff It gets easier as the years tick by.
Keep yourself occupied by working on that slick '37 you've got going on.
39 years since my last smoke.

Just thought I would bring this back up because we have a lot of new members. As a side note I am now cancer free according to my oncologist. Feeling good and am back in the garage (when the weather allows) working on the 37. For you new members who go to the first unread post, please read the whole thread. The members on here posted a lot of good information that you should read.
Hey Bruno

You show em how its done...way to go man...I have neighbors on both sides of me that smoke like crazy....to the point when I am outside and they are outside also...all I can smell it that crappy Cigarette smoke...gags me now that I don't smoke anymore...

Yes quit guys...or pay the price later....

MikeC

Latest posts

Back