Talk about a RAT!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lars Larsen

I'm not exactly sure what this is, but we have it on an auction coming up. There are lots of cars and parts for rods of all shapes and sizes! If you need anymore info, just follow the "contact" link on this link, or send one to me. If your anywhere close to Fairmont, Nebraska, this one is definitely worth checking out! http://www.larsensauctions.com/index.php?p=1_9_Chapman-Estate-Auction

Attachments

• rat.jpg
    rat.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 226
They are commony referred to as "doodlebugs" or "depression tractors". That is essentially what they were - early cars or trucks cut down into tractors for farm use. That particular one looks to be a '28-'29 Ford with a '30-'31 hood top and an earlier TT rear end. Not a lot there hot rod wise, but still a neat piece of history...

Yup, it's a Doodlebug. Very common practice in the 30's and 40's. Tractors were expensive and old cars and trucks were cheap and plentiful before WWII.

Wow, some really cool old stuff for sale!

We used to have one on the farm when I was little fish. If I remember correctly, it was to raise an old style wagon to dump ear corn. Is that all one or two separate lifts?

We used to have one on the farm when I was little fish. If I remember correctly, it was to raise an old style wagon to dump ear corn. Is that all one or two separate lifts?

Your right those are wagon lifts. Its what the guy used to work on his cars. Not sure if he attached the two or not.

Doodlebug !

Been a while but noticed this thread about the doodlebug .My grandpa built one when my dad was 12 and my dad will be 76 in June.My grandpa died at the age of 92 in 1994 and then my dad got it.Anyway my dad still has it and he gave it to me now! I will be going to pick it up this coming week to bring it home with me!I will post pics when I get it home.It still runs and drives! It needs a new radiator and some TLC. I have the original 29 grill shell hanging on the wall in my shop that will soon be back on it.I've always wanted it cause I think its cool!

Been a while but noticed this thread about the doodlebug .My grandpa built one when my dad was 12 and my dad will be 76 in June.My grandpa died at the age of 92 in 1994 and then my dad got it.Anyway my dad still has it and he gave it to me now! I will be going to pick it up this coming week to bring it home with me!I will post pics when I get it home.It still runs and drives! It needs a new radiator and some TLC. I have the original 29 grill shell hanging on the wall in my shop that will soon be back on it.I've always wanted it cause I think its cool!

That's an awesome piece of family history to own there! Looking forward to seeing it

doodle bug

Dude you got to post pics of you putting around on it and compare it to to grandpa,.. I can see him putting around with one leg bent up high on one side and him rolling some prince albert up with his free hand as he driving that thing

My Dad bought one of those at an auction. It was made out of a '29 Buick. He bought it for parts for his original '26 Buick. It turned out he couldn't use much, but he did get some hard to find little parts.

Here's his '26 the way it sits now......

Kodakeasyshare008.jpg

GOT it!!!

Well I got my doodlebug home. It fired right up and I drove it up on the trailer.I will try to get some pics up for you all to see tomorrow.I am wanting to put it back together the way my Grandpa had it.My Dad has kinda hacked on it over the years and it needs some TLC. It's going to get it too!!
Stay tooned!!![P

Wait until WillowBilly sees it![cl....CR:D

Cool!!. I wish I had a place to collect doodlebugs. I haven't brought any of them home yet. That one looks like some T chassis but not sure on the engine, not a Ford I don't think. I love the jeep pedal car.
Oops, I see it says chevy engine.
Here's a quiz; anyone know what the thing is in the picture just before the doodle bug? Yes, I do know.

Last edited:
Cool!!. I wish I had a place to collect doodlebugs. I haven't brought any of them home yet. That one looks like some T chassis but not sure on the engine, not a Ford I don't think. I love the jeep pedal car.
Oops, I see it says chevy engine.
Here's a quiz; anyone know what the thing is in the picture just before the doodle bug? Yes, I do know.

Is this the pic you are referring to?

Attachments

• p4200381.jpg
    p4200381.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 27
Got pics

Here are a few pics of my doodle bug that my Grandpa built when my dad was 8.My dad will be 76 in June.In Columbus Oh. there is a restaurant called the Spagetti Warehouse.Back when my Grandpa was a young man ,the building was a business call Columbus City Ice and Fuel and he was employed there for many yrs as the head maintenance man. He built this doodle bug there and ran an elevator that he also built to transfer coal.This doodlebug was built from a 1929 AA dump truck and has a PTO.
It has been sorta hacked on over the past 16 yrs by my dad. My plans are to rebuild it back to close as I can as when built. I now have a new steering wheel and fuel tank thanks to ''MYOLDTRUCKS'' !Thanks Bill!
Wheel is on and looking better already![cl

Attachments

• 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 072.jpg
    072.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 18
I'm not exactly sure what this is, but we have it on an auction coming up. There are lots of cars and parts for rods of all shapes and sizes! If you need anymore info, just follow the "contact" link on this link, or send one to me. If your anywhere close to Fairmont, Nebraska, this one is definitely worth checking out! http://www.larsensauctions.com/index.php?p=1_9_Chapman-Estate-Auction

Doodlebugs or Bush Hogs around these parts.
They still do that here in rural Nova Scotia.
Nobody can afford the cost of a new tractor or tree harvester so they cut up what's laying around and make use of it.

Latest posts

Back