1925 Dodge Coupe a.k.a. "Big Dodge"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2008_0321Johns0013.jpg

Got some rubber on the rear. A bit wider than the wagon wheel I tried earlier. Hoosier Pro Street Radials on Weld Rodlite wheels. It sure destroys the traditional rod vibe. They were on my Fiat before it morphed into a Crosley. The tail lights are '48 Nash and were on a car Leo owned. It was difficult incorporating them into this car.

2008_0321Johns0014.jpg

The tires don't look so outrageous from this angle. At least they help make a tall skinny body look lower and wider.

2008_0324Johns0020.jpg

Here's my partner, Leo. I tracked him down at the Vet's home. His broken rib is healing so he drove out today to check on progress. I got him to pose for a shot of the flames tattoo'd on his temples. Told ya'll he's a character. Lots of little jobs done on the Dodge, with many trips to the auto parts store for small stuff. Nothing worth photographing though.

2008_0330Johns0058.jpg

Zacho & I pushed our projects outside to blow the dust off. It was the first decent weekend day we've had. "Big Dodge" doesn't look as big outside. Ever notice how much better projects look sitting outside compared to being surrounded by junk in the garage?

Thankyou 24dodge. Could it be that you favor Dodges? I don't know how I got that idea??? Sure wish I would have had a Mopar engine of some sort for it. Hard to turn down a free sbc with less that a thousand miles on it. I could do one of those valve cover swaps and pretend it is something it isn't.

Really sweet!!!

Bob,
Man... that car is *really* lookin' good. Cheap SBC's r x-tra good too!!!

Ever notice how much better projects look sitting outside compared to being surrounded by junk in the garage?

Isn't that the truth... seein' 'um out in the sunlight is sweet too!!!

BoB

Ya , you could say I like Dodges , but more than that I like cars you don`t see very often , much more interesting ....(don`t tell anyone , but i`m really a chevy guy)

2008_0111skate0260.jpg

Backing up a little; I bought a few low buck 2 by 4's to make the top wood. Wood and I don't get along so I didn't look forward to the project. I used a Sawzall to make all the cuts and sanded the pieces on a belt and disc sander. It worked out ok and cost about 10 bucks.

2008_0111skate0262.jpg

Continuing with the thrifty theme; I found that early Dodge door handles are about impossible to find. Repro Model T handles would work well. But a few hours and some scrap metal out of my "Little Pieces" box and I had home made handles for no money.

Thanks for the kind remarks Gastrick, Willowbilly and others. As Leo adapts to the "soap opera" of life at the Vet's Home, I think coming over to see the Dodge gives him some relief from it all. He's a volatile character and already has had a number of disagreements at the home. His great hope is to drive it on a piece of Route 66 before he is incapable of driving anymore. I'm going to try to get Leo, the Dodge and my Crosley to the HAMB drags in Joplin, Mo. I believe Rte. 66 is very close by. That would be a nice final trip for Leo.
Leo is a perfectionist and I suspect he thinks I am a bit too casual with how I do things. He wanted a red frame, I painted it black. There has been zero conflict between us however, and we have had a great time revisiting our misspent youth. Leo thinks I'm a pretty good builder and he likes the proportions, stance, etc. I'm going kinda fast on this one because I don't know how much time he has before driving is not possible. Definitely has to be on the road this summer.

Last edited:
Hey Bob, Man this car is going to be so cool. It already is cool and it's a wonderful thing that you're doing for Leo. That Leo is a wild child isn't he. I love the flamed temples. I think I like him. I know I like you for being so kind. Pay it forward brother. Harleyboy

Bob, kudos to you and Leo. This is definately a heart felt build. Your workmanship and eye for the finished product are stellar.

Latest posts

Back