1947 Ford/Chevy build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougnDog

Hey guys building another one[;) this time a 47 ford on a 76 Chevy chassis powered by a 350/350 combo. I haven't traveled more than 500 miles from my shop in the last 5-6 years, for a lot of reasons but next year I plan on taking the 47 truck and my Rat Rod on a trailer and visit as many Rat rod shows around the country as I can, and maybe meet many of you that I have had the pleasure of knowing on RRR.:)
on with it.....started with a 76 1/2 ton Chevy donor truck and I like to strip as many parts off and reuse them in my build, I have built this style truck before (86 f150 4x4 under a 47 ford cab) 20 years ago now so I have a lot of after the facts "wished I had done or didn't do that" :eek: that comes with a build for the first time. found a really great 47 cab and fenders on a farm along the Sacramento River. almost no rust much better than my first one. straight forward build with a bed that will look like a old service station truck. high sides with 2 radius drops one about 24" back from the cab 12" down the other just pass the tailgate. with a 1" hand rail all along the top.have the body mounts done and now working on the bed and hitch. once all is in place it all comes apart for blasting and body work, paint. post again in a few days

Attachments

• IMAG0299.JPG
    IMAG0299.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMAG0300.JPG
    IMAG0300.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 288
  • IMAG0294.JPG
    IMAG0294.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 246
  • IMAG0297.JPG
    IMAG0297.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 240
all right!

following[P

if ya get up to washington state, PM me, there are some cool shows around here and our friday local cruz'in would welcome you gladly.

Later :cool:

Looks real good, Doug. I'm very interested in this build too as I have plans...a couple projects from now.

A little more work done

As the body mounts are done and gas tank in place, the bed is next;)
picked up some steel the other day, man its getting pricey:eek: now I know why my junk dealer insisted on giving me a case of beer when I gave him what was left over from the donor truck on this project. well the frame is coming together the sides are in mock up have to put the step on the back today. going to have to wait till after the first to buy the 14Ga for the sides as they are $112.00 a sheet (4x8 ) and I need 2 1/2 sheets. Ill trim the edge with 5/8 tubing, slit one side and slide it on to be welded. on top that will be 1 2/2 standoff that a 3/4 brass or copper hand rail will be fastened. haven't decided what I want to use:confused: Brass or Copper. here's a few pictures. well its getting late better get to work.

ps. for you fans of Sweetpea a picture of her too helping as always.

Attachments

• IMAG0303.JPG
    IMAG0303.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 151
  • IMAG0307.JPG
    IMAG0307.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMAG0306.JPG
    IMAG0306.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMAG0305.JPG
    IMAG0305.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 193
  • IMAG0304.JPG
    IMAG0304.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 146
Work continues

Been doing a lot of work [;) but just not a lot that will show on pictures.Will start sand blasting on Monday, bought a 110lb blaster seems to work good. set up a blasting room 8'x8' in my shop. in Calif they bust you for blasting outside. hope to have my cab and fenders all blasted this week. picked up the 14ga 4x8 plate for the sides of the bed too so I'm set for the month.....blast & prime and finish building the bed also hope to get the frame power washed and painted too. post some pictures when I get some.....

Frame Fab.

Well got the fabing on the frame all done[;)....front fender, bumper,mounts as well as the body mounts, gas tank and the kick plate on the back. I put air bags on the back because one spring was a little weak, the bags cost $108.00 and new springs were $ 250.00. no brain-er for me. got the firewall all done. have all sandblasting done except the cab.on my way to do it now. thought I'd post a few pictures first.....

Attachments

• IMAG0322.JPG
    IMAG0322.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 82
  • IMAG0323.JPG
    IMAG0323.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0321.JPG
    IMAG0321.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 79
Still working its all sandblasted. frame ready for pressure wash and paint. cab is ready to caulk all the seams, then Ill paint the bottom and firewall and install it on the painted frame...hit a bump in the road tho....had surgery on my nose on the third and it has been impossible to get anything done with crap stuffed in my nose. :mad: the operation supposed to help me breath better, got it broken a few times when I was young. we"ll see. I'll post some progress pictures next week....

Thanks Guys......hope to have a lot of progress to show (pictures) by the 15th..... its right at the stage of reassembly that a lot of progress is evident....those times that give the hot rod builder a boost in his project:D.....so its killing me to have to wait for my nose to heal....post soon...Doug

not real exciting but it is to me....progress[cl
frame is all cleaned and painted, the bottom of the cab is all seam sealed and painted and mounted on the frame. I used the original rubber mounts and brackets. just placed them where they needed to go. saves a lot of money using donor car parts.I built this same kind of truck before, and I'm doing things I wish I had done on my last truck. like I placed 3/4 plywood on the inside of the firewall. easy to mount stuff and stiffens and sound deaned too. need to mount my e-brake and set doors (adjust) then do the body work needed on the cab. so much to do so little time:rolleyes:

Question for Chevy guys what is the bar that span's between the bottom of motor mounts? I find its hard to believe its a stiffener, some frames have them some don't post soon Doug

Attachments

• IMAG0336.JPG
    IMAG0336.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMAG0337.JPG
    IMAG0337.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMAG0338.JPG
    IMAG0338.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0339.JPG
    IMAG0339.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG0340.JPG
    IMAG0340.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 86
nose

DougnDog ''the operation supposed to help me breath better, got it broken a few times when I was young. we"ll see. I'll post some progress pictures next week....''

cool, l'll be looking foreward to the pics of progress on your'e nose. OH, and l hope ya post some truck pics also:D

Later :cool:

Latest posts

Back