35 IH AKA Project "Riff Raff" build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool build and nice tricks you have incorporated.;)
Now if I could only make more room in the shop to get my beaster going faster. :rolleyes: Did you get your truck out of Montana? There was truck south of the Townson area for sale a couple years back. Same color and style, just curious. If I had the $500 available at the time, it would be in my yard today :)

Keep up the work, Cornbinders do rule the road.

Maximo

As far as I know it was from southern MN. It has lettering on the cowl that reads "Stacy District". I am assuming it is from the town of Stacy which is in southwest MN and possibly used as a city vehicle at one time? You never know though...

Building some bomber seats. I am not quite done with the first one yet as I am waiting for some longer rivets and also need to add a couple plates to the back. I started on my second one to keep me busy in the meantime. I can see why people ask $500 or more a pair. Hand bucking rivets is time consuming but I have more time than money so I figured I would do it myself.

Attachments

• 100_3326.jpg
    100_3326.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 100_3328.jpg
    100_3328.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_3329.jpg
    100_3329.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_3324.jpg
    100_3324.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_3330.jpg
    100_3330.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 70
Nice lookig seats Powerplant, He he, those rivets are fun ain't they? Takes forever but worth it I think. BTW I have thousands of miles in my bomber seats and find them to be comfy as long as I have the removeable cushions in place.

Thanks for the compliment. I just got done with the pair. I have enough aluminum to make some more so.... I am putting these up for sale and building another set. I went to school for aircraft maintenance 15 years ago and got a A&P license but never worked on planes after. Making these seats showed me how rusty I am. They would need some more work to get the markings & scratches out if you wanted them to look nice. I myself would sand them down and scotchbright them. If you wanted to paint them and sand them down for a weathered look that would be cool too. The first seat was alright, the second one was better but I still learned some things that will make my next set better yet. I have about $130 in materials, obviously I will be looking for more than that but I won't go as far as the $500 asking prices on ebay as they are not as nice as those. I will throw them in the classified section if anyone is interested

Ahhhh.... I always forget the pics

Attachments

• 100_3331.jpg
    100_3331.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_3336.jpg
    100_3336.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_3339.jpg
    100_3339.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_3341.jpg
    100_3341.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 59
Believe it or not I just sold them but I am making another set as I write this. I guess I was curious if anyone would buy them... I took a fairly low offer since they don't reflect what I know I am capable of. Now that I am in the groove so to say I may put together another set and ask a little more. I am not after the $500 - $1000 prices I see on ebay though. If there is any interest out there I would be curious to know. Maybe I will quit my job and start making windshield frames and bomber seats

I just took another one of my seats down to my local steel supplier / fab joint where I got the first couple sheets of aluminum. The owners son is building a rat rod, both he and the father were very impressed with my work. Enough so to throw a pile (I mean A PILE!) of aluminum sheet in my truck in trade for a pair of seats. They even were kind enough to shear a bunch of it for me. At this rate I won't get any work done on the rod. Oh well... I am having fun building these for now. Stay tuned... now all I need is time and I will have more for sale. I am guessing around $400 a pair from now on... granted I am makeing them a tad better than my first set by sanding out the scratches and paying a bit more attention to detail.

my old Ih

here is a few pics of my IH
built in 05
R Mac

Attachments

• 35 ih des moines.jpg
    35 ih des moines.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 135
  • MACS RATZ 008.jpg
    MACS RATZ 008.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Goodguys 001.jpg
    Goodguys 001.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 115
  • shop truck 001.jpg
    shop truck 001.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 113
I like the idea of that air cleaner, but I would take it down quite a bit and find two small filters for it.

I have a cabinate full of barely used air filters from compressors. They are clean and alomost look new, best part on the whole thing, they fit over a 2" hole, other wise considered ~42mm or 44mm CV filters. Some are 6" OD and some are 4" OD, and most of them are ~3.5" to 4" tall. Shoot me a number size on your carb intake or PM me an address and I will ship out 4 of these filters, 2 of each to choose from.

Your beast is really coming along at a great pace. I still need to pull my body off the old chassis and get it cleaned and readied for the fitting onto the new chassis. I kept my original full longbed chassis in tact, I plan on using the beast as a hauler for the races and shows. I am trying to get my bike, my brothers bike and the truck ready for Sturgis this coming year. Its' the 69th aniversary, so you know this will be possibly the largest gathering in 2009.

Maximo

Do you bend it still warm?

Annealing

All you need to do is get a carbon rich flame on you oxy setup, coat the piece with soot then with a neutral flame carefully heat it evenly until the soot burns off, and i mean CAREFULLY, aluminum goes from solid to liquid very very quickly. Let it cool naturally... DONE piece annealed...bend away. When working the softer material it will work harden just by you messing with it. If it gets too hard.. anneal it again.

I have ran into some materials soft enough to make bends like this without annealing. I get whatever I can get my hands on if it is cheap so I am ready to anneal it if I have to.

There is more to the bends I am making than just the makeup of the material though. Mainly you need a lot of patience.

I have a cabinate full of barely used air filters from compressors. They are clean and alomost look new, best part on the whole thing, they fit over a 2" hole, other wise considered ~42mm or 44mm CV filters. Some are 6" OD and some are 4" OD, and most of them are ~3.5" to 4" tall. Shoot me a number size on your carb intake or PM me an address and I will ship out 4 of these filters, 2 of each to choose from.

Your beast is really coming along at a great pace. I still need to pull my body off the old chassis and get it cleaned and readied for the fitting onto the new chassis. I kept my original full longbed chassis in tact, I plan on using the beast as a hauler for the races and shows. I am trying to get my bike, my brothers bike and the truck ready for Sturgis this coming year. Its' the 69th aniversary, so you know this will be possibly the largest gathering in 2009.

Maximo

Thanks for the offer... I doubt I am going to run any type of stack for a intake anyway. I thought the big aluminum pipes would look cool but they just don't for some reason.

Latest posts

Back