36 chevy 2-door standard sedan chop !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I appreciate the compliment ! I did not make my goal for the week but I guess thats just part of it.

Hi Itsmycord

For someone who isn't that good at metal working...you have done an awesome job so far...

Did you say you used 2 sets of doors to make the door part of the chop???...

Also what is your trick to keeping everything lined up??...That rear section you did...oh my gosh...I would have been getting all kinds wound around on that part of the project....

Keep up the good work...thanks for sharing your project with us on here...

MikeC

As always,thanks for the motivation !
MikeC I actually used doors from a "master series" sedan. My car is a "standard series" and the difference is the master has a 3" longer wheelbase and that 3" is in the doors. So I had to cut the 3" out of them so they would fit my car. As far as keeping everything lined up......I just cut it all apart,tacked the A pillars good,then moved the B pillars up 2" toward the rear,then gently "messaged" the very rear of the car together while using self tapping screws to hold the strips together as things eased into place.I actually leaned the rear window foward some in the process. Once I was satisfied I could get the look I wanted with what I had I cut where the strips overlapped and then with a block of wood,I lined the strips I cut back up (since cutting removed the screw) and tacked.....this process to a LONG time ! Then I just made some long "pie strips" and welded those in !
Oh and GJM if the pro's there are good with 1" then I should go into the bizz, as I think I can get away with 1/2" :rolleyes:

I spent a couple minutes on the car today...and made the b-post for both sides ! I had some 2x3 laying out back and it worked just as I planned,and that as we all know is always nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20130914_171408.jpg
    IMG_20130914_171408.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 59
Had big plans for the hotrod this weekend,but it has rained non stop since 3 this morning and my little dirt floor garage is flooded.I guess I should just make this my build thread,since its time to do the doors and inner structure..how do I get it moved and the name changed ?

Some of the pro's around my part of the woods don't mind a 1" of sound dampener :D

looks like very little mud is need on yours.

Looking really good.
And I agree with GJmike.
I always feeel the same way about my body welds until I see what some of the "pro's "do. Keep at it. And yes when doing it yourself sometimes missing goals is part of the program.
Torchie.

I tossed a fender on and stuffed a tire under to get a better idea. I think I like where it's goin.

Attachments

• IMG_20130921_174347.jpg
    IMG_20130921_174347.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 86
So I started the frame tonight,no pictures until tomorrow though.
I do not have my chopsaw here with me,so I used my angle grinder with a cutoff blade.....let me tell ya folks ! Your gunna be there a minute when you have 4 1/2" grinder vs. 2x4x3/16" . :eek:

So I started the frame tonight,no pictures until tomorrow though.
I do not have my chopsaw here with me,so I used my angle grinder with a cutoff blade.....let me tell ya folks ! Your gunna be there a minute when you have 4 1/2" grinder vs. 2x4x3/16" . :eek:

If you get the thin blades like 1/16" it cuts decent on 3/16"

Yea, 1/16 is what I am using.really it didn't take all that long just not as quick as a chop saw obviously.

Yea Torchie, I have always as well. Another weekend of rain so no work will get done since my build area is dirt floor. I had hoped to get my frame done but I guess thats not gunna happen.

Well,my family and I made the move to cheyenne wy ! The 36 came with us and hopefully I can get settled and start working on it again. The biggest hurdle to overcome is that I do not have anywhere to work on the 36 so I am hoping to happen into something.

Small update....built my frame,grabbed a mustang II front end trimmed it to fit,and dropped the body back on to start the mounts.Tires are way to big(30/9.50's) the wheels were free these were just the tires that were on them,and its still about 3-4" higher than ride height will be when its all said and done.

Attachments

• sedancheyenne1.jpg
    sedancheyenne1.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 70
  • sedancheyenne2.jpg
    sedancheyenne2.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 65

Latest posts

Back