36 chevy 2-door standard sedan chop !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea,it has been awhile ! Unfortunately on June 27th a man intent on ending his life killed my mother in a head on collision and I turned 24 about 3 weeks later,the fire that followed the crash left almost nothing of my mothers body......So at 24 I have been appointed the representative for both the wrongful death case,and since she had no will the rep for her estate as well.Fighting with insurance,out of the woodwork family members,bill collectors,banks,ect...with no experience,or any idea where to start has been a real stresser so basically after everything settled down a bit I decided I needed some "therapy" drug out the ol' 36....It's been a hard road these past few moths but working on this old car seems to help.

That's terrible to hear! Sorry for your loss and all the BS you've had to endure on top of it. I'm sure a little quiet time in the shop will help. Good to have you back.

Thank's for the support guys ! On a good note,I got a $1.50 an hour raise at work Monday so that's more money to work on the chevy with ! My door skins are at the media blaster,and will be ready to pickup tomorrow so that means I can get them straight'ish-er,and build the structures for them. Plan to shoot them in primer and tuck them away in the house away from Wyoming winter weather. If I am satisfied with his work I will have the guy do the fenders too and they will get the same treatment. I have worked for a jeep aftermarket production place called TNT customs since moving to wy so I have access to ALL the fancy tools to build stuff out with ! I hope to grab an 8.8 outa the junkyard sat if the snow aint flying then I can build my triangulated four link for the rear and it will be a true roller.

Wow. I know words don't do much with a loss like you went through, but hang in there.

The car is looking sweet. A very talented young lad, you are. You made the chop look easy. Very cool.

Again,a BIG thanx to you guys ! I still have my wife,and kids.My father and I have a better relationship than ever because of my moms death,same with my brother and I....so I count my blessings, and realize that even with the tragedy thats been my last four months I have an awesome God,and I'm still breathing so it's going to be just FINE !

Head straight, hands up, feet planted...keep swinging and moving forward. Sorry to hear about your loss. You will come out the other end stronger.

I like where you are headed with the 36....[P

Another downer today,the doors that I dropped of to be blasted are a wreck ! The guy told me they would be using a "softer" media to blast them to prevent warping. Well after being told two times they were done and upon getting there they weren't I FINALLY got them this morning around 11:30 only to see that only the outside of the skins were done,instead of like I requested both inside/outside. He then told me he would make me a deal on doing the insides that had originally been in the quote the first go around ! I ask WTH had happened that my once "flat" doors are now taco'd and warped every which way......his reply ? The SAND was warping the panels so he THEN switched to the glass bead media ! So now I have to figure out how to fix these doors,strip the inside so I am not encapsulating rust, OR track down ANOTHER pair ! :mad:

Another downer today,the doors that I dropped of to be blasted are a wreck ! The guy told me they would be using a "softer" media to blast them to prevent warping. Well after being told two times they were done and upon getting there they weren't I FINALLY got them this morning around 11:30 only to see that only the outside of the skins were done,instead of like I requested both inside/outside. He then told me he would make me a deal on doing the insides that had originally been in the quote the first go around ! I ask WTH had happened that my once "flat" doors are now taco'd and warped every which way......his reply ? The SAND was warping the panels so he THEN switched to the glass bead media ! So now I have to figure out how to fix these doors,strip the inside so I am not encapsulating rust, OR track down ANOTHER pair ! :mad:

Wow.:(
I have heard horror stories like this all too many times.
It may be better to look for new doors first and if you don't find some use repairing the ones you have as a fall back option. As always it's an issue of time vs money. I tend to try to fix what I've got just because I'm stubborn:D
Sending out some good vibes to you as well.
Torchie.

I hear ya Torchie,problem is it took me almost three years to find these ones an cost a thousand mile trip to get them ! Best I can figure I have $750 bucks in a pair of trashed doors :eek:

I hear ya Torchie,problem is it took me almost three years to find these ones an cost a thousand mile trip to get them ! Best I can figure I have $750 bucks in a pair of trashed doors :eek:

You might start a new thread in the Body Q & A section. There are some metal masters here that may be able to advise you.

Nothing angers me more than paying some one for their "Expertise" only to find out they know less than I do.

It sounds like you are going to want to invest in a shrinking disc. It will take a lot of hammer and dolly work followed by using the shrinking disk to pull the metal back into shape.
You can use a torch if you have one but be careful not to heat too big a spot.
I keep my spots under the size of a dime. I have also read of people using their MIG welders to spot heat metal as well but have no experiences with that method.
Agree with earthman on the separate post in the Body Q and A. I have seen some really warped panels brought back to shape so it can be done.
Study up on it and good luck.
Torchie.

Torchie, I have been doing alot of research ! I have a few "options" at this point,and will be near my "secret honey hole" for thanksgiving and may be able to find a pair there if I have the extra cash but that could go either way.If all else fails,I am going to try taking and cutting the door skin off from the bodyline down,and grafting on a "trimmed" lower skin from another car with larger doors,but a similar contour.That way I have some wiggle room.

After a talk with my attorney where he advised me of my options,I spoke to the blasting company and relayed that info.They now say they want a chance to fix the damages,they claim to have a "expert in the restoration field" and have after my approval given him my doors to fix so we will see the outcome.

After a talk with my attorney where he advised me of my options,I spoke to the blasting company and relayed that info.They now say they want a chance to fix the damages,they claim to have a "expert in the restoration field" and have after my approval given him my doors to fix so we will see the outcome.

Excellent !!! Hope it works out for you. [cl

Well,went to pick up my doors today ! And sadly left them where they were AGAIN ! There "body guy" took what was a badly warped pair of doors(but smooth),and turned them into a pair of badly warped,hammer marks all over and about as smooth as a golf ball pair of doors ! Now they even oil can in numerous places......the blaster argued that "they are 80 years old what do I expect" my issue is other than the weld seams top to bottom down the center needing final metal finishing the doors were not warped,rough,or oil canning prier to being done ! He said his body guy told him that he had got them to the "bondo stage" I was furious since there would not have been bondo necessary before they screwed them up !

Latest posts

Back