48 fire truck roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to each of you; Wampler, Rainman, Busch, and Goose-em. This is one of the things I really appreciate about this forum. It really helps to get us going again after a hiatus. This thread was probably buried so deep it had disappeared.

Thanks for the encouragement. Guess I better get busy on it again now that it has cooled down. Probably won't be this week, but will shoot for the one after and see if I can get some new pictures/progress posted up.

Just shoot me now and get it over with

Truckster burned out on the 48 Chevy firetruck. He made me a deal I couldn't refuse. So here it is, one last shot in his drive and on my trailer for a ride to its new home in my shop.

It came with 2 Chevy 454's. the newer one a '98 Vortek L29 is on the front. The '80, rebuilt 5000 miles ago with an unkown lifter or valve issue, is in the frame.

I got the wheels powder coated and had the 4 new Michelins mounted so we could make it a roller.

Attachments

• 1 K's drive.jpg
    1 K's drive.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 269
  • 3 my trailer.jpg
    3 my trailer.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 2 second engine.jpg
    2 second engine.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 193
Progress

I unloaded and stashed the parts on Tuesday and spent some time trying to decide what to do first.

I decided to build body mounts so I could index the body back to the same position each time I took it off and on. I just got the front made and tacked on -that should do for now.

I also welded up the panhard bar and 2 of the 4 rear links, but didn't get photos.

Attachments

• 4 body mount.jpg
    4 body mount.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 134
glad to see it will get done.. little disappointed that truckster isnt going to finish it up.. but i know it is in good hands..

It must be quite a bit wider than mine.. just based on how it fits on the trailer..

glad to see it will get done.. little disappointed that truckster isnt going to finish it up.. but i know it is in good hands..

It must be quite a bit wider than mine.. just based on how it fits on the trailer..

I was dissapointed he wasn't going to finish - I was looking forward to seeing how he solved all the problems. Now it's up to me.

I've got 55" sidewall to sidewall in the front and 49" on the rears.
I looked at your build and couldn't decide if they look similar or not. Truckster narrowed the 48 cab by 10 inches which probably makes the cab about the same width as yours. It is about the same as my '48 Ford.

Managed to find some time to design and build four bat wings, although they look more like boomerangs, ordered some rod ends from Midwest Control to give me some options on making lower control arms to go with the 1/4 elliptical springs which will also constitute the upper control arms.

These are somewhat large, but look right with the axle. The holes in the platten table are 1 3/4" square to give you an idea of size.

Bat Wings , them ain't no stinkin bat wings , look more like Tyrannosaurs Rex wings . No matter what you call em , their awesome , just like the rest of this build .

Well isn't this a surprising turn of events :confused: Wow!

Well, Earthman, you won't have to go so far to get a look. You know where it's at.

The problem with this build is Truckster already did the fun stuff. Now it's up to me to make one or the other engine run. I always started with new or running motors on previous builds.

At least I won't have to worry about trying to keep things light, it already weighs more than the F-2 Stang.

I'm out of town until Sunday, so nothing new until next week.

Making DJ3100 an offer he couldn't refuse, assured me that it would get finished and still be in the neighborhood so I can see how it turns out. Plus I will get to ride in it.

This is the second project now that I lost interest in that he has taken over.

The first one was a 14 year hiatus. This one was less than a year. Now that is progress.

So truckster,
What's the next one you're gonna start?

We have to make sure DJ3100 has a constant supply of projects to work on to fee our 'follow along' addiction.
-Chaz

I've gone to the dark side for a while (2008 Rubicon), that's taking my time and $$ for the foreseeable future.

Been waiting for DJ to post up some progress pics. Want to see that thing running. What's taking so long? Been a week already![P I have some of the "follow along" addiction as well.

OK, settle down Earthman, we went to Pamona to the Grand National Roadster Show to do research. Problem was there were no new rats there and no duallies or big trucks. But I was working on it all weekend.

I got the steering box mounted yesterday I'll have pics later today.
I got the hydroboost in hand, but I'm not sure if it goes on the frame or under the dash and I don't have the master yet.

Today I'm going to reshape the spindle steering arm and try to get the link to the steering box figured out.

At least that's what I'm doing when I get enough courage to go out in 25 degree shop - who asked for cold?

Truckster is coming by today to consult, that will help.

After looking at every posssible place to mount the steering box, I finally decided to put it on the frame rail in front of the engine mount where it will have the least amount of interference with the headers. I'll have good access for the steering column.

The steering arm is too low and is out of plane - I'll need to twist it level. I started with a big rosebug and the hydraulic press. I got it bent about 1 1/2" up, which should be enough. The next problem will be to twist it so the rod socket is level. The rose bud doesn't get it hot enough, I'll need to put it in the forge.

The body in this thing is CHERRY! There is a little rust on the front cab corners, (probably from washing it every day) but that's it. The firewall looks like Swiss cheese - all the holes of a normal truck plus the ones they added for the firetruck gear. I'll be making a new firewall.

No, Truckster, it won't be finished this weekend!

Attachments

• 1 steering box.jpg
    1 steering box.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 2 steering arm.jpg
    2 steering arm.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 3 steering arm side.jpg
    3 steering arm side.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 4 bending.jpg
    4 bending.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 5 body.jpg
    5 body.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 163
And why not?

I pulled the left valve cover. You think this might be the reason for the lifter noise? This is the engine that was rebuilt 5000 miles before Truckster got it. The push rod is not bent, but is about 3/4" lower than the rest. Collapsed lifter? or maybe they left it out? I'll pull the intake tomorrow and see what's up. Might be a simple fix or a sign that they really screwed it up.

Attachments

• 5 lifter.jpg
    5 lifter.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 79

Latest posts

Back