48 fire truck roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan, i have a B+M auto shifter over here for you

029-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

Thank's Earthman. I got a Phone that rings now.

The seat is the key to getting enough leg room with the section. Gotta sit low and all the way to the back of the cab, like this guy's rat.

Headers

I got this pile of headers with the firetruck. Actually there is one more. None of them actually clear the frame. I'm tired of tripping over them, so I decided to see if I could make them work.

The other option I came up with is a BBC header weld - it - yourself kit from Speedway. At $139 + 38 shipping + $50 for some additional bends. $200 + for uncoated headers that I have to build, doesn't sound too enticing.

The photos show my progress. They don't look that great and I'm not sure I'll be able to weld them up. But I do have a visual guide so that I'll be able to build something nicer if I decide to order the kit. Or maybe I'll get used to them and find a way to weld them.

Attachments

• 1 pile of headers.jpg
    1 pile of headers.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 2 right side start.jpg
    2 right side start.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 3 right complete.jpg
    3 right complete.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 138
  • 4 right fr.jpg
    4 right fr.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 5 left side.jpg
    5 left side.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 6 Left half.jpg
    6 Left half.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 140
What's wrong with them. Look great to me. The one you have tacked together on the right side looks like it belongs there. Something missing that the pictures don't show. I would be happy with that. [cl

Plus it will be quieter than the F-2 when you are done.

[;) it and go with it. .02

I finished the driver's side and I'm pretty happy with them. I was OK with the right side until I realized they don't look anything like the left side.

The good thing is that now I think I know what I'm doing.

Not matching might be a problem. Couldn't pick that up from the photos.

Did you get your bushings? Or do I need to bring them over. Just got home again.

BoneHead Vists

Earthman brought Bonehead by last Thursday. It was really great to have an expert check out my stuff. Plus as we all know, Bonehead's a talented artist and an all around good guy.

Anyhow, he blessed the steering box - but thought I might need 2 u joints on the column and told me what to look for. Thought the rearend and duallies were good and told me I won't have any problems getting the tunnel ram and dual quads to work. All things I've been concerned about.

I told him I was thinking about sectioning the cab 4" - he told me to go 6". We scoped it out with a tape measure and he's dead on. 4" is a compomise. "Make it radical" is said. That's going by be the new theme for the Firetruck.

Earthman brought Bonehead by last Thursday. It was really great to have an expert check out my stuff. Plus as we all know, Bonehead's a talented artist and an all around good guy.

Anyhow, he blessed the steering box - but thought I might need 2 u joints on the column and told me what to look for. Thought the rearend and duallies were good and told me I won't have any problems getting the tunnel ram and dual quads to work. All things I've been concerned about.

I told him I was thinking about sectioning the cab 4" - he told me to go 6". We scoped it out with a tape measure and he's dead on. 4" is a compomise. "Make it radical" is said. That's going by be the new theme for the Firetruck.

It is a great build. It had a wonderful start, with a well thought out plan. The thing about a project changing hands, is that a fog usually rolls in until a clear direction shows up again. This one has very little fog. The section idea looks great. 5-6 inches will give it great look. Once the tunnel ram is on even better. It is in great hands now, and I expect a classic well known hot rod when it is done.

Yeah, not much entertainment going on around here this weekend.

A friend came by on Saturday and suggested a flatbed. The Rockwell would still show and maybe I could find some firetruck stuff to hang on it to keep Bonehead happy. I like that idea so far.

I should know about the railing job tomorrow. If I don't get some kind of confirmation, I think I'll start on the body work.

gas tank

A friend got me a deal on some 16 ga Stainless for the gas tank. I band sawed the cut-out for the saddle and machined the holes for the filler and the sending unit. After the photo I added the screw holes for the sending unit, welded on the nut ring and added a 3/8 NPT bung for a vent.

Bending took all the presuasion I could apply, but I eventually got the bends I wanted. When all else fails get out the hammer - in this case a maple slapper.

The bungs are 1/2 NPT - it is a big block.

After about 5 hours of welding and smoothing it's ready for a leak test. No leaks - first time.

Next, I have to add a bung for the return line (in case I decide to go EFI), weld the top on and Oh yeah I'll need some mounting brackets.

Attachments

• 1 top.jpg
    1 top.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 2 saddle.jpg
    2 saddle.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 3 Bend.jpg
    3 Bend.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 4 knee.jpg
    4 knee.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 96
  • 5 slapper.jpg
    5 slapper.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 6 saddle and front.jpg
    6 saddle and front.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 88
  • 7 holds water.jpg
    7 holds water.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 8 holds water2.jpg
    8 holds water2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 84
love it

I love this build thread. I am getting great ideas. Thank you. I am copying the boomerang batwings for my 36 Diamond T build on a dually motorhome .

Thanks for sharing. I'm loving your work (both of you)[cl[P

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18754

You had previously stated in the build (Truckster?) that the quarter elliptical spring would hold the top of the axle stable, and the panhard bar would hold the bottom. I am thinking of doing the same thing, but others are suggesting that the spring moving through its arc will change the angle of the caster?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back