48 fire truck roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Section body

I got the cab braced and on the stand. Mounted the doors so I could scribe the cut lines.

Cut 5" out of the middle.

Truckster came by today after I had it tacked together. We decided we needed to see it on the frame. I like it!

Attachments

• 1 brace.jpg
    1 brace.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 2 brace.jpg
    2 brace.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 116
  • 3 door.jpg
    3 door.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 5 scribe.jpg
    5 scribe.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 6 cut.jpg
    6 cut.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 7 body.jpg
    7 body.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 8 body.jpg
    8 body.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 207
I know where a mid 50's GMC fire truck that is about 5 miles from my place. The owner said he would sell it for scrap iron prices. It's already topless. I'm real tempted to snag it. Alas it has no wheels and they are the centerless type. It would be a tough move because its starting to return to the earth.

I know where a mid 50's GMC fire truck that is about 5 miles from my place. The owner said he would sell it for scrap iron prices. It's already topless. I'm real tempted to snag it. Alas it has no wheels and they are the centerless type. It would be a tough move because its starting to return to the earth.

All Truckster kept from the whole firetruck is the cab and only about 2/3 's of that. Two of us (or maybe there was 3 of us) got the cab off the firetruck in a couple hours. Just go and get the parts you need.

Thanks Bonehead, I really appreciated your input. I chickened out with 6" though.

Earthman, I often buy 20' foot lenghts of steel, cut it into small pieces and end up throwing it a way. I bought a couch and a loveseat (for the F-2 upholstery) cut them up and threw them away. I'm hoping it doesn't get to that point with the '48. Next up, I have to cut the floor for the driveshaft.

Because his sectioning has put everything into such perfect porportions, it is difficult to get the concept of the scale on this by looking at the photos. If you look at that apparently "small" engine in the last picture and realize that it is a 454 Chevy it helps to put it in perspective.

The wheels are 19.5" and the tire diameter is over 33".

Great job Dan! You really are taking it to a higher level than I would have.

looks real good, sectioning is on the list of mods I want to try some day... thought about doing it on my build decided its taking me too long allready scratched that idea...

Thanks everyone.

Here's a time breakdown Corpo:

Bracing the body: about 3 hours.
Finding the hinges and bolts, mounting the doors and laying out and scribing the lines and removing the doors: 3 hours .
Cutting and trying to get everything to fit just right. I finally gave up and shimmed the spacers with 18 gage: 4 hours.
Welding, hammering and dollying: 4 hours so far. I probably have 6 more hours to go.

So, about 20 hours to do the section. Of course, that doesn't include the doors, firewall, toe kicks, bottom front corners or the tunnel.

Well, I forgot about getting a photo before I pulled the cab off to work on welding it up. Sorry.

The firetruck had been "resto-painted". They put an 1/8" + of bondo on every surface; blocked it out and painted it. Then decided it wasn't good enough and worked it some more. I got fed up with sanding bondo, filler, and paint and all the dust it created.

So, I took the cab to Pro-Strip to get media blasted and get all that stuff off. Should have it back by Tuesday. At this point I think the $200 will be well spent and maybe even cheaper than buying the abrasives required to ge tthe metal clean enough to weld.

Stripped

I got the cab back from pro-strip today.

Yup, I hauled it both ways in the '53. This is actually the very first time I have carried anything in the bed. It worked out great and didn't do any damage. For those with long, detailed memories here's a photo of the louvered hood on the '53 - I'm liking it. I just had to let it age for about 2 years.

Truckster and I thought this was a cherry body, after all, it was a firetruck and lived inside most of its life. Here's some of what was hiding under the endless amount of Bondo.

I spent a couple hours goofing with the driver side door - it's pretty close.

Attachments

• 1 53.jpg
    1 53.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 2 hood.jpg
    2 hood.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 111
  • 3 pass corner.jpg
    3 pass corner.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 116
  • 4 driver corner.jpg
    4 driver corner.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 6 cowl.jpg
    6 cowl.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 7 door.jpg
    7 door.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 112
The problems don't show in the picture that much. Looks better than alot I've seen.

Yeah, it's still better than the '53 Chevy and waaay better than the '48 F-2.

Earthman: I think those firemen probably washed the life out of it. The guys doing the resto body work on it were Bondo finishers instead of metal finishers.

I'll have to admit, I don't know anything about the Cave Creek thing, Is that the Rat Rod show? And is it this weekend?

I looked up the Cave Creek cruise and it's Saturday. Cave Creek has an 80 DB noise limit. I wonder how they'll deal with that? Issue lots of tickets to offset the low entry fee?

I'll consider it - have to check with the boss and see what she says.

I see why you narrowed the body now. It is easier to carry! That looks like a cherry cab from where I sit in the rusty NE. Love the fact that you carried it in the 53. [P

Latest posts

Back