48 fire truck roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put some serious heat on the steering arm and was able to bend it with a 6' pry bar and twist it with the same bar and the hydraulic press.

i spent some time with the grinder and cleaned it up a bit - a lot.

I decided to make a link to see how the geometry would work out.

To get lock to lock on the axle I'll need to extend the arm 1 3/4". Made a simple extension from angle and it works. Now I think the steering arm should be bent about 1 3/4" higher - - - or not.

Attachments

• 1 serious heat.jpg
    1 serious heat.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 2 link front.jpg
    2 link front.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 174
  • 3 link side.jpg
    3 link side.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 4 extension.jpg
    4 extension.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 174
lookin good.. I still have to sort out my steering as well..

That steering box is huge!

When you were talking widths of the wheels (side wall to side wall) was that inner side wall or outer?

Just went through this whole build, great looking truck! [cl

That frame is really stout!

Some really great ideas and creativity in this build.
Hope you just find a collapsed lifter and nothing more serious.

Looking forward to more, keep us posted. [P

lookin good.. I still have to sort out my steering as well..

That steering box is huge!

When you were talking widths of the wheels (side wall to side wall) was that inner side wall or outer?

The steering box is big for a manual. Truckster wanted something that would handle the beefy front end.

I was measuring the inside of each tire at the widest point (shortest measurement). Fender clearance if there were going to be fenders.

SugarRay8,

The frame is very well done. I don't have any reservations about just continuing where Truckster left off. He had left a few thigs (like the panhard brackets) tacked so he could change them later if needed. I welded them up so the decision would be done, they look good to me.

I'm hoping for a lifter problem and a cam that still has lobes, bores that look honed with no ridge, and no metal in the pan, etc. We'll see.

By the way, 17 degrees this am. I know that for most of the rest of you it's way colder than that, but still, it's enough to keep me out of the shop for a while.

It was minus 12 this morning! :eek:

My build has been untouched all week due to weather. :mad:

Yes Truckster did an awesome job on that frame, very impressive.

DJ, I hope that lifter is all there is. Nice to know he tried to represent that engine accurately. Definitely looks like it is fairly fresh.

Is it necessary to get full lock on the front wheels? Thinking it is going to turn pretty well without that extra fraction of horizontal travel on the drag link. And from the pictures, it looks like it would be primo without the extension. IMO.

SugarRay -Thanks for the comments and observations. As to the steering box and frame....This was intended from the start to be an oversized exercise at a roadster; about 120 to 125% scale, so to speak. You have to see it in person to get an idea of the mass on all the pieces. It is truck based, not car based (not even pickup based).

DJ, I hope that lifter is all there is. Nice to know he tried to represent that engine accurately. Definitely looks like it is fairly fresh.

I didn't get to work on it today yet and probably won't. The engine does look clean on the inside. A brief look at Summit shows cam and lifters for $160 +_. Let's see, which cam goes with a tunnel ram, dual 4's and is streetable?

Is it necessary to get full lock on the front wheels? Thinking it is going to turn pretty well without that extra fraction of horizontal travel on the drag link. And from the pictures, it looks like it would be primo without the extension. IMO.

Maybe not, I'll take another look from that perspective. The Ackerman is decieving. It is hard to tell the turning radius by looking at either wheel.
I really don't want to have another go at bending that steering arm - that sucker is heavy and hard to hold onto when half of it is 2000 degrees.

Earthman, I probably should have left the steering arm alone, now I'm looking at the axle thinking it would look pretty good if I did some clean up on that, too. I'll be grinding for the rest of my life!
Stop by and have a look when you get a chance.

truckster and DJ

Nice looking build! I must say, it is rare to see a project ever finished after the origanal builder moves on, and for this one to go to another builder with the same top notch skills is great to see! I'm in till the end![P

Thanks jfg455

I picked up the last of the stuff from Truckster on Saturday and got the other 2 wheels to powdercoat on Friday. Had to do actual paying work Monday and today so I didn't get anything done.

Here's a photo of the bad lifter. I don't think I have ever seen this before - anyone have any idea why this happened? Is it a sign of other problems or just a defective lifter?

Attachments

• 1 lifter.jpg
    1 lifter.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 92
Almost looks like it must be defective...

Only thing I can think of that would do that other than a hairline crack in manufacturing would be a side load from the push rod... but that would usually bend the rod and or other things..... my guess is that there was a hair line crack and the lifter might have pumped up (high revs) and hit the land/stop and broke it off..... JMHO[s

Only thing I can think of that would do that other than a hairline crack in manufacturing would be a side load from the push rod... but that would usually bend the rod and or other things..... my guess is that there was a hair line crack and the lifter might have pumped up (high revs) and hit the land/stop and broke it off..... JMHO[s

Good input, thanks. I gues I'll know more when I get the heads off.

Is that one of those Harbor Freight cam and lifter sets

What did the pushrod look like?

The pushrod is undamaged. It is supposed to have a RV cam and yeah it might have been Chinese, I have no clue. Hopefully nothing else is damaged, I can find the peice that broke off the lifter in the oil pan, there isn't a spun bearing or a huge ridge. It that asking for a lot?

I don't need to RV cam to increase low end torque, so getting another cam and lifters would be a good choice anyhow.

Progress?

I actually had a couple paying jobs last week and didn't get much done on the '48.

I did narrow the bed to match the cab, but now it looks a little narrow for the wheels. I may have to widen it again.

I also welded up one of the front control arms and painted the left hub and caliper bracket.

Just piddly stuff so far. I would like to start on the body, but I want a gauge/dash solution before I start. I think I have decided to channel the body 4 inches where the green tape is. Earthman and I saw a rat at So-Cal that I like the proportions of - matches the Thom Taylor concept.
(Hey Earthman, post a pic of the rat we saw a So-Cal.)

Attachments

• 1 before.jpg
    1 before.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 2 before.jpg
    2 before.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 3 inprocess.jpg
    3 inprocess.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 4 rear.jpg
    4 rear.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 153
  • 5 after left.jpg
    5 after left.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 7 front hub.jpg
    7 front hub.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 185
Good to see an update! If you section the cab (I think that would look better sectioned) how is it going to impact useable space around the frame when you lower the bed by the same amount? Pretty tight in there already. Going to leave you enough room for a fuel tank?

The fuel tank will be an upside down U that straddles the driveshaft and fits inside of, and flush with the top of the frame. It'll need 2 outlets, but it will hold 16 gallons, probably good for about an 80 mile range. i'm looking for some 16 or 14 ga stainless sheet - cheep.

Then, maybe the bed will go away, I hate to cover up that Rockwell.

I haven't done anything about getting a master cylinder and I've been looking for gauges to no avail. i'd like to get the master before finishing the frame and the gauges before working on the body.

But, i'm not doing anything until I finish this gate - tomorrow? Work - glad to have it, but it gets in the way of the good stuff.

Latest posts

Back