'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I have the body off I had some finish work on the frame to do and decided to fill in the firewall. Secured all my hard lines and made tie bars to zip tie my airlines too. Also mounted the rear shocks and found they were a little short. I was afraid I'd pull them apart with the bags, so I lowered the mounts a bit. Think I'm ready to roll it back on?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3113a.jpg
    IMGP3113a.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMGP3112a.jpg
    IMGP3112a.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 213
You should be Sam Fearless or maybe Sam FearNothing.

I would never take the body off and roll it on its roof after all that work - you even drove it. Cool stuff!

Hey Earthman - who you calling a sissy? Remember, i know where you live.

Someone told Sam to get off the couch and get to work. So just to be difficult he threw the car on the couch and killed 2 bird via the 1 stone method![cl

You should be Sam Fearless or maybe Sam FearNothing.

I would never take the body off and roll it on its roof after all that work - you even drove it. Cool stuff!

Hey Earthman - who you calling a sissy? Remember, i know where you live.

Ha! :D There is only one Sam Fear! You won't be seeing me trying to manhandle a '48 Oldsmobile without all the mechanical advantage i can get. :)

We have company coming over, so I had to get the car off the couch. Tomorrow I hope to get it bolted back down to the frame.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3118a.jpg
    IMGP3118a.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 195
Nope.

Today I managed to get the body back to it's correct spot. Here's a close up of my rocker trim with a light behind it to show how it sits on the rail. Also a pic of a problem I have with my wheel wells from when I moved the body forward - gonna have to trim them out a little farther back.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3136a.jpg
    IMGP3136a.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMGP3141a.jpg
    IMGP3141a.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 177
I'm late

Hey Sam, just started following your build a while back. Great job you're doin'. I love it.

For future reference, you can use big truck tire inner tubes to roll the car over on in case you can't find couch cushions. You won't get any dents if you put a lot of air in em.:D:D

Lynn

Hey Sam, just started following your build a while back. Great job you're doin'. I love it.

For future reference, you can use big truck tire inner tubes to roll the car over on in case you can't find couch cushions. You won't get any dents if you put a lot of air in em.:D:D

Lynn

Shakey, you need to put that one in Tech Tips!!! Thats a good one!!

Been doing boring stuff. Even after I fixed the wheel wells, my tires are too tall. For now, I'll have to run shorter tires on the rear, but eventually if I do a section, I'll probably raise the rear fender an inch or so.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3524a.jpg
    IMGP3524a.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 230
Still doing little things like filling pinholes. I did figure out the quarter windows finally. I wanted to keep the sliders, but I cut up the frames when I chopped the top and welding them back together wasn't gonna happen. Decided to just reconnect the drip tray and the face of the frame. In order to get the frame in the right spot, I decided to cut down the garnish and use it as a template.

Made a cardboard template of both openings.
attachment.php

Used that to find the dimensions and curves of the garnish.
attachment.php

Difference in size from the original.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3526a.jpg
    IMGP3526a.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMGP3529a.jpg
    IMGP3529a.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMGP3531a.jpg
    IMGP3531a.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 204
I just want to say your skills are amazing, and your ability to manipulate metal is something to be proud of, cant wait to see moor. When you get a chance could you post pics on the way you mounted your front sheet metal and radiator, I am soon going to be placing my olds body on the fame and need advise. Thanks Car Nut....

Latest posts

Back