'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just nice work, period. It's a unique wheel treatment for sure, but not over the top. Very understated, especially for the amount of work that went into it. It looks at home there, not sticking out like a sore thumb. Good job!

I had thought about it, but I really didn't (and still don't) know what I was doing. Guess I could post up what I did, the info I found, and what I learned.

BTW, I worked on this for about a month on and off.

Soooooo........can you teach the rest of us how to do this and pretend like we don't know what we're doing?! This is a fantastic look!!!
I REALLY want to learn more!!! Please share. :D[P

From what I have come up with (which isnt much) it was used on boat steering wheels back in the day. The street rodder part came from the Amber winner roadster on the cover. It has a cord wrapped wheel. I would be interested in the knots you used. I dropped out of boy scouts when I found stuff with motors in them....

Well, right after I saw this last night I started research of my own.
I didn't find much on this either but as noted above, it's an old navy past time. They used to do it in their spare time on the ships rails and wheel.
The main knot around the whole thing is simply a half hitch repeated over and over. Then theres the Turkish balloon knot:D........or something.
I tried both on some extra rope I had last night and found it to be pretty easy.

Here's a link on the balloon knot::D
http://www.folsoms.net/knots/turkshead.
Guess its called Turkshead.

The main knot is also called Coxcombimg (get yer head out of the gutter) and some good info can be had here:
http://www.frayedknotarts.com/tutorials/coxcombing/coxcombing.html

Here's a little more info, and better info on some more detailed work if your fingers can handle the extra strain :)
http://www.netplaces.com/knots/decorative-knotting/coxcombing.htm

Last edited:
Sam your kar is pure wikked kool and i'm not one for 4 doors but i'm starting to like them more and more everyday , looks great good work my friend.

Mike

Was stuffing wires under the dash and arranging switches when I realized my charge light was dimly glowing. Alternator gave out - replaced it with a 78amp.

Upholstered my seat. First try at upholstery and had nothing but the springs. Not perfect, but comfy. Also rattle canned the the back inside.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Got 2 sheets of glass from a local shop - 20$ per. Cut new windshield glass since the pass side was cracked. Replaced them both.
attachment.php

While I was cutting glass, I decided to go for the quarter windows. Got one mostly done. The stainless bead felt took a little work. They still slide!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3635a.jpg
    IMGP3635a.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMGP3637a.jpg
    IMGP3637a.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 241
  • IMGP3640a.jpg
    IMGP3640a.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 241
  • IMGP3641a.jpg
    IMGP3641a.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 238
  • IMGP3643a.jpg
    IMGP3643a.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 241
I used my wifes stained glass saw. It's a Taurus II.2 ring saw. If I ever end up with a curved windshield, I'm going to see if it works. I think it would as long as it's properly supported and the scrap is cut off often. The newer Taurus3 can be used handheld which would make it even easier.

Lookin' good

Wow! You are coming right along. Congratulations on a very BIG project. Like H. H. said, I think some 4-doors are starting to grow on me. I hope it's not age that is causing this[S. No wait a minute most young folks use 4-doors (that is how they are built now). Whew! Good it must just mean that the right guy showed us what they SHOULD look like. Great build. Steve

Wow! I just read through this entire build (took me a couple days off and on) and this thing is Amazing!! I have always been a fan of 4 door cars. I like the proportions and the length of them. You have absolutely nailed this build and I can't wait to see what else you do to finish it up!

Thanks guys. Another little update.

Got my rear door windows in and working. Window channel was tricky.
attachment.php

Now I'm working on the wing windows and the front.
attachment.php

Took a few hours to get to this point.
attachment.php

I plan on them working.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP4420b.jpg
    IMGP4420b.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMGP4425b.jpg
    IMGP4425b.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 154
  • IMGP4433b.jpg
    IMGP4433b.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMGP4437b.jpg
    IMGP4437b.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 154
Ive done restorations before

it takes cash and a great amount of patience. did an Auburn Boat tail Speedster and a 1953 Ford truck from the bare frame up.too old now patience gone i prefer designing myself so I can get away with Murder so to speak, hahahahahah As a designer and engineer you call the shots if it looks tough you skip it or do something simpler and easier. My hats off to you and your project

Latest posts

Back