'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I envy that fact that you are still working on the same project! looks good as usual! Damn A.D.D.... no where did I leave that... oh! Shiney![cl

Well, back on page 13 is a pic of my front frame horns that bolts on using the G-body roll bar bolt holes. And on page 41 is a pic of the simple 1/8"x1x1 bar I welded across the frame to mount the original radiator brace to. On page 40 you can kinda see the original rad brace that had to be cut shorter - it also had to be notched to get around the P/S box. I don't recall why I had to shorten the brace?

Basically, with the rad brace bolted in, I got the front sheet metal lined up and straight with the body, then placed the 1x1 and front frame horns. The front clip is also bolted to the frame horn section using the original mount. At some point, I may weld the frame horns solid to the frame.

I still have the front clip off right now, but if there is something I can take a picture of for you, I'd be glad to!

Might as well do a small update. Still been just getting little things back together. Painted my steering column and got that back in. Seat metal is back in. Rear doors and fenders on.

I did have to shorten the front of my rear fenders 1/4" so I took a 1/4" out about 3" up from the bottom to keep the bottom curves the same. The left side was pretty well eaten up with rust under the stone guard so I had a plan to cut all the rust off and weld new metal in. Then I reminded myself I was working on a rat - I welded together what was there and put the guard back on. :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3568a.jpg
    IMGP3568a.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 234
Then I reminded myself I was working on a rat - I welded together what was there and put the guard back on. :)

Man do I know what you mean! I always have to remind myself what it is I'm building. I have one project I let go way too far before I had to tell myself to STOP! Now I have to tell myself daily working on my son's truck.

Keep on keeping on! Great car and great project.

I say if you are cutting and welding there anyways, then just go ahead and replace the really bad stuff. There will be plenty of other 'rough edges'.

How about a few pics?

Worked out an air dam around the frame horns. Just tacked in fer now incase the radiator isn't big enough.
attachment.php

Finished off the tank filler neck. Didn't like the idea of it venting into the trunk with the compressor back there.
attachment.php

attachment.php

My amp gauge was burned out, so I decided to use a cheapy volt gauge to replace it.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3586a.jpg
    IMGP3586a.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMGP3597a.jpg
    IMGP3597a.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMGP3598a.jpg
    IMGP3598a.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMGP3602a.jpg
    IMGP3602a.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMGP3603a.jpg
    IMGP3603a.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 165
attachment.php

attachment.php

Ordered a bunch of trim clips and window felt/bead.
attachment.php

Finished the trunk corners - rounded them off.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3587a.jpg
    IMGP3587a.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMGP3611a.jpg
    IMGP3611a.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 161
  • IMGP3606a.jpg
    IMGP3606a.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMGP3605a.jpg
    IMGP3605a.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 161
A while back I bought a cheap radio and face plate off e-bay, the radio was all corroded inside, but I salvaged the push button part.
attachment.php

Found a quarter in the drivers door. Musta been in there a while to erode it like that.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3623a.jpg
    IMGP3623a.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMGP3631a.jpg
    IMGP3631a.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 134
I finally finished the string wrap on my steering wheel. I learned a lot for next time.

First I filled the many cracks with putty.
attachment.php

Then I wrapped the wheel with a simple wrap around the rim and a single reversing half hitch for the two spokes. (Then I added a few extra wraps around the T's and some Turksheads knots)
attachment.php

I coated it with 2 coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane.
attachment.php

This is a close up of the extra wrap on the T part and a Turkshead to cover the rest.
attachment.php

And back together on the painted column.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP3550a.jpg
    IMGP3550a.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMGP3590a.jpg
    IMGP3590a.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 575
  • IMGP3613a.jpg
    IMGP3613a.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMGP3615a.jpg
    IMGP3615a.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 578
  • IMGP3624a.jpg
    IMGP3624a.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 579
Last edited:
I finally finished the string wrap on my steering wheel. I learned a lot for next time.

First I filled the many cracks with putty.
attachment.php

Then I wrapped the wheel with a simple wrap around the rim and a single reversing half hitch for the two spokes. (Then I added a few extra wraps around the T's and some Turksheads knots)
attachment.php

I coated it with 2 coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane.
attachment.php

This is a close up of the extra wrap on the T part and a Turkshead to cover the rest.
attachment.php

And back together on the painted column.
attachment.php

PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE....do a how to tech thread on doing that!

Did someone just read Street Rodder magazine? Looks good! [P

Nope. If there was a how to about it, I wish I woulda. I had a hard time finding info.

PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE....do a how to tech thread on doing that!

I had thought about it, but I really didn't (and still don't) know what I was doing. Guess I could post up what I did, the info I found, and what I learned.

BTW, I worked on this for about a month on and off.

Latest posts

Back