55 Chevy Full Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work. I was wondering what happened to this build the other day. Now I see it today. You guys going to start the thrash on it now? Also any updates on that long term GM bagged project that we had a sneak peak on a while back?

Thanks fellas. I see I messed up one of the photos but I can't edit my own post. I meant to insert this photo and not two of the same photos of the open hood.

Just a small tidbit. We finished up another piece in the hood brace jigsaw puzzle. This part fits forward of the main cross brace and will eventually terminate at the yet to be built latch housing.

It started like this. We made a fixture and bent some tubing that mirrors the shape of the hood and laid out a gussett.

The ends of the tubing are fish mouthed and have a threaded insert. This piece gets bolted on through the back of the main cross brace.

Done......for now. Next up, hood latch housing.

Bill is one of those guys who has a lot of patience, talent, a good eye, and is a fanatic about details. It shows in everything he builds. His Brother's Chevy is going to be one nice ride when done.

Bill, have you ever mentioned the ties this car has to American Graffiti?

Don

Again ....... looks like water jet ..... (I know .... I know ....). Looks great. Great detail.

Keep us posted.

Ratty 46

Little update: We mostly completed the upper part of the hood latch. We just have some finish work and rough edge clean-up. The hardware in the front edge of the hood gets hidden by the trim. We also filled some emblem holes in the hood but these photos don't show that.

We tried to hide most all of the hardware here. The curved plate with the two flush mounted bolts is removable for latch accesss when the brace is mounted in the car.

View from the backside. This is not seen after installation as this part is against the hood.

Installed

I can only say two things here ........ cool & well thought out quality workmanship. If I were your brother ......

If I could only get you to try a water jet ......

Ratty 46

This is awesome! I really like the way you went the extra mile and just didn't make ANOTHER tri-five. I just realized that's why my 55 is still sitting where I put it 3 years ago. You have shown that there is a place for real engineering in a full body car build and not just a bolt-on a catalog part with paint.
Again thanks for in creative thinking, it's a breath of fresh air. Outstanding craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Wow, how did I miss this thread? Amazing work; this is going to really draw some admiring lookers when you get it out. Do you have any pics of the C4 rearend setup? I'd like to see how that was done.

Thanks fellas,

falconvan, I'll take some photos of the rear. I'll try and get to it this weekend.

Ratty 46, I'm ready for that water jet.....I'm running out of patience and there is still much to do.

Very Nice !!!

Awesome fab work, Gastrick.
Really makes for something unique, well done. '22

i have just went thru this entire thread and all i can do is stand in awe....
that is going to be an amazing car, and your brother surely will be proud of all the work put into it...
all i can think is just how many people will overlook all the details that truly make it unique.....but we here on the RRR have the inside scoop-the build thread!!

thanks for all the pics, HRP

Glad you guys like the build. I was hoping to drive it to Daytona this year for the Turkey Run in rat form against Gastricks wishes but I don't think it will make it. Keep your eyes peeled for updates, we have some cool things planned for the hood and interior coming up soon.

Gastrick,

Once I more to Tampa (hopefully 2 yrs.) I'll introduce you to the art of the waterjet. It has been one of the most versitile tools I use. I can not believe how handy it is even in my limited biz.

Looking good bro.

Ratty 46

Latest posts

Back