55 Chevy Full Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few people have asked me about my brother's 55 Chevy project. Well we are back on it now so there will bew some updates to follow. This weekend we installed the front bumper and made some hidden brackets in the process in order to keep things neat and clean. Here's how it went.

If we had installed the front bumper as intended, this is what it would have looked like. This is the outside of the front framerail, in front of the front tire.....

I wasn't having it so we ended up with this. The frame was countersunk and the hardware flush mounted with the outside of the frame rail....

Here's how we got there. First we whipped up some new bumper brackets.

Then, using the old brackets as a guide, we spaced the new brackets inward so that they would slide inside the frame rails. I welded them in place.

Then the old brackets were cut off and the welds were finished. The area where the old bracket was still needs to be cleaned up. That will come later.

We had to make some thick reinforcement plates for the inside of the frame rails because of the countersunk hardware on the outside. These are the plates.

And here I am attaching them...

Then the holes were drilled and countersunk.

Then the bumper was attached. While we were doing this, we moved the bumper back closer to the body a bit. Once all the sheetmetal is aligned, we will trim the ends of the bumper to match the wheel opening.

This is what the deal looks like from the inside of the frame rail. Next up is romoveable boxing plates for this area and a general clean up of the brackets. Stay tuned next week.

Sweet!

Gastrick,
That looks sweet & I'm glad u have time to start workin' on this car again! I'm also diggin' on those gasser front wheels... I like!!!

BoB

As promised, removable frame horn covers for this week. 1/4" material was used so that the piece would be flush with the outside of the frame rail and the edges could be rounded, also to match the existing frame rail.

First the covers were made....

Then some tabs were added to the inside edge of the frame rails. The tabs were then drilled and tapped.....

Covers bolted to frame with countersunk hardware for a smoother appearance. The notch in the front is where the bumper bracket exits the end of the frame....

Okay fellas, not much but a little progress. We mounted the fenders in order to square up all of the front sheetmetal mounts and finish them up. But afer bolting on the fenders, we decided that the upper rear fender mount that are visible in the engine compartment with the hood up would detract from some of the other modifications we made. So off with the fenders and new fender mounts were fabbed up. Here's how it went. Not rocket science, but I think it looks a lot better than before.

Factory fender mounting tabs looked like this..................

First, I removed the factory tabs from the fenders and fabbed up some new ones. The tabs I made are twice as thick as the factory stamped tabs they replaced. No need for strengthening ripples in the new ones.

Then I notched the fender lip so that the new tabs would be flush mounted and not under the lip as the factory tabs were.

Then the new tabs were welded in place. This is what it looks like from the bottom. This needs more finish work, but you get the idea and can see how they tie in to the inner brace so they are strong.

Then the top side was smoothed and the lip was blended in to the tab. Still needs more finish work but this is basically it.

This is what it looks like bolted to the car. You can compare it to the first pics and see the difference. Stay tuned for some major work in the near future. This is just something small but all I've got for now.

It might be small but it is a worthwhile detail that most will overlook. Killer job Gas.

Your attention to detail makes me think you went to the "Don'sRods" school of fab work.

Great job.

Ratty 46

Latest posts

Back