55 Chevy Full Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mounting pad for the bottom was needed so some square tubing was cut to form a channel and some holes were drilled in it so that some nuts could be welded inside. Here are the parts......

And here is the finished mounting pad located at the bottom center of the support......

It's not much yet, but here's how it sits in the chassis. Stay tuned tomorrow evening for another update. This piece should be much more complete by then.

Well, not as much done today as I had hoped but I promised an update. We cut the main hoop to length, added the crossbar/fender support, and mounting tabs at the end of the crossbar. Still need to mount the radiator in the support, drill some holes, and add some bracing.

Sweeeeettttt

Gastrick,
I was wondering how that was going to all work out and am "very" impressed! That is going to look really sharp, will it all be covered up though? What do you have planned for the fender wells?

Rattler

Gastrick,
I was wondering how that was going to all work out and am "very" impressed! That is going to look really sharp, will it all be covered up though? What do you have planned for the fender wells?

Rattler

Thanks Rattler, if the plan remains as is, this area will be completely covered. As for the fenderwells, the plan is to have the tin start at the inner edge of the fender where the hood lip is, and then gently roll all the way down to the inside edge of the frame rail. Hard to make sense of the way I'm explaining it, but that part shouldn't be too far off and I'll post some pics.

Don, right now my brother is thinking he will go with a candy color from House Of Color called "Slime Green", probably with a silver base.

Gastrick,
That is going to be a Bad @$$ ride when it is done. You are doing some impressive work. Very anxious to see the end result. Tht is one thing i like about this forum. Even if something isn't rat rod nessecarily, we all still enjoy looking at nice things. I think over on the hamb they may have a problem with this since it's not "traditional". But all of us here love it. GREAT JOB!!!!!!

Is the paint going to be all one color is he using the silver base as a two-tone as well?

-Larry

Is the paint going to be all one color is he using the silver base as a two-tone as well?

-Larry

Thanks for the kind word Larry. Nothing is etched in stone on the paint yet. He's still tossing around some options such as two tone using the silver base, maybe with some flake added.

A little update here. This part took a bit longer than it should have today, but I'm not sure why. I think we fractured the time/space continuum or something. Anyway, on to the progress. After doing much figuring and measuring, tabs were added to the support and partially smoothed. Then the radiator found it's new home for the first time.

Looking great Gastrick. We went to the sonic last night for there car show and the best car there was a 55 Chevy with flat black paint and no hood with a tunnel ram with two 4's sticking out the top.

This isn't much in the line of progress but it's something. My brother got some front filler panels and we mocked them up. The center piece had to be substantially reduced in size front to rear because of the new radiator/ac condenser position. The end pieces will be molded into the fenders after all the front sheetmetal parts are properly fitted. There will be some custom work in the grill area of this one. The bumper will also be narrowed and pulled inward to the car (when he gets a bumper).

Car with no front filler panels

Filler panel was marked and cut so that it clear the rad/condenser.

Here's the filler panels mocked into position.

As you can see there's been no progress on this one for a bit but stay tuned. We are in the process of updating the cars we are going to drive to the Turkey Run in Nov. before we get back on this. In the mean time, here's an artist's rendering of what the car should look like when complete.

Illustration by Brian Stupski at Problemchild Kustoms.

Last edited:
Every time I hear those two words "Turkey Run" I get excited. :D Can't wait.

Gastrick, that Chevy is really out of this world. Very nice work on it.

Don

Back