55 Chevy Full Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little more on this project. My brother bought a hood so we could continue fabricating mounts the front sheetmetal. We never did have the factiory front frame section of this car so there were no reference points to draw from. Aligning everything has been a bit trying.

We finished up the radiator/fender support by making and adding the fender brackets to the ends. This piece is now finished except for smoothing.

Her's the fender mount to the brace. The brackets were made to mount to the backside of the fender for a cleaner look when the tinwork is done in the engine compartment. Different hardware will be used on final assembly.

With the radiator installed.......................

And with the new hood down. It's starting to look like a car. We're sneaking up on the alignment a little at a time as we build the mounts. Next up, lower fender braces and and hood latch. We're not using the stock latch.

Wow!

Gastrick,
Thanks for the update! I am anxiously following this build because u always have something kool up u're sleeve & since I'm doin' basically the same thing on my '41 right now... this is really givin' me some great ideas! And that BB looks awesome in there!!! Thanks!!!

BoB

HOOD LATCH:

This type of work doesn't add much in the way of visual impact, but it must be done just the same and it takes time so it gets included in the build thread.

It's somewhat difficult to discern in photos, but due to the forward position of the thick radiator along with the yet to be mounted a/c condenser, the factory hood latch could not be utilized. As a result, a new panel had to be fabricated and a different latch mechanizm had to be used.

Here's the area in question:

The factory cross brace was separated from the grill and a new piece was made as replacement. The new piece has more area to the rear to mount the new latch.

The latch to be used is from a VW. It was chosen because if it's compact size and handsome shape. Seen here is the brace laid out for material removal and drilling.

This is the result after drilling, cutting, countersinking, and filing.....................

Some end brackets were made and welded on and the latch was installed.

Then the new panel/latch was attached to the grill and bolted in the car for a test fit. The piece isn't finished. There's still several things to do such as bracing. I'll cover that next time.

Oh.... the latch area, a very overlooked area at that, is coming out very well. I dig the clean new latch & sill.

Car is coming right along.....I always dug 55's.

Ratty 46.

UPDATE = Hood Detail

Time to get off of our butts and start some work again on my brother's (speed racer) 55 Chevy. Because of the hood latch we used, the upper latch mounting area in the hood needed to be heavily modified, so we just decided to scrap the factory piece and start over. We also decided that the factory hood brace could go in the scrap heap too.

Here's the factory hood brace still in place.

We removed the OEM stuff and then made a tubular frame structure that I failed to photo document. We then cut out a filler piece out of 1/8" plate and I laid out a design to use as a guide for making some holes.

Here's the frame and the center before being tacked together.

And here is the newly assembled hood brace next to the OEM brace.

Stand by a minute for the installed photos....................

Looking good ..... someones got the waterjet machine going.

Looks like chevrolet could have used that design.

I need to get my ass is gear on th ratty 46 too.

Ratty 46

Hey Ratty-

Your going to make Gastrick mad if you say waterjet:mad:. He hand ground those holes out using air tools and files. Glad I don't have to pay him by the hour.:D Do to some prior commitments I couldn't help out very much on it but he has several days getting the holes just right.

Latest posts

Back