Billetproof Florida-March 17th, 2012

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
This may seem a little early but the Billetproof Florida show is moving back to Big Daddy's Museum of Drag Racing for 2012 and the closest hotels are probably going to fill up fast, as will registration I imagine. This is an awesome show at a great location. I have no affiliation with the show but I think that everyone who can attend should do so. It's a good one.

Here's a link to the show/registration... http://www.billetproof.com/billetproofnews/templates/?a=59&z=12

Like 99% of the participants, I am THRILLED it is going back to Don's place. Not only is it closer for most of us, but it was just a nicer venue to have it at. The field at the Fairgrounds didn't offer a lot in the way of things to do, but at Don's you can go through the museum, or sit down and get a bite to eat.

As soon as we figure out how many of our 3 cars will be healthy we will make reservations.

Don

Haha, I just signed up to make one of the trophies, for Best Competition Car. We have to keep it a secret until that day what it will look like, but I think I came up with a pretty cool idea. :D I found some great parts that I am going to incorporate and am pretty excited about doing it.

The handcrafted trophies they give out at BP are the very best. Over the years I have tossed a bunch of plastic ones into the dumpster but would never do that with one of the ones you win at BP. Dan has the two he won last year proudly sitting atop his dresser and they mean a lot to him.

Don

Good deal Don. I won't mind if you send me a "sneak peek" of the trophy you guys make :D. I've talked to a few folks here locally and they are thrilled with the new/old location. Some of them have already signed up and made their hotel reservations.

Billetproof

I've been working on the Jive Bomber and Best Wagon trophies for 2 weeks now... Can't wait to hand them to somebody.

BTW Pat is home and Don is doing well.[cl

Oh wow, I bet Don is stoked that she was sent home. That's great news.

I put the last two coats of paint on the final part of the trophy I am doing for "Best Competition Car" today. I never in my wildest dreams thought building something so simple could be so hard ! :eek: I scrapped two designs because I just couldn't make them work, and I went to a scap yard and found some items that I was able to incorporate into the final design. Once the pinstripers do their magic and get it lettered I think it will look a whole lot better.

I am still on the fence about driving my 27 all the way there, it is not really highway friendly with 4.30 gears and 250 miles each way is a haul. I just drove Dan's headers up to Tampa yesterday and the I75 is really rough, even in my daily driver, so I don't know if I want to beat up my 27 that much. I had a lot of fun being Dan's copilot last year and may do it again this year. I must be getting old, in years past I have driven my 27 to Turkey Run 5 or 6 times and my 23 was there 3 times, but a long trip in a roadster isn't as appealing as it once was.

Don

I assembled my trophy tonight and man, is it HEAVY. If the guy who wins it doesn't like it the thing should bring good money at the scrap yard. :D

It doesn't photograph real well, the base ( a 40 Ford front brake drum) and the wrench are copper colored, and the rest is red powdercoating with some gold flake in it. The pinstripers can put Billetproof 2012 and Best Competition Car on the wrench, which should doll it up a little. The work they do always makes the trophies really special.

It also looks short in the picture but since that is a 12 inch drum underneath, it is actually pretty tall in person.

Don

BPtrophy017.jpg

It looks like I'm going to be there. My cars look pretty bad right now but it's unavoidable. I'm just glad I can even go. Don, you and Dan park your nice detailed cars away from mine :D

Yeah, like you should ever have to hide that car ! :rolleyes: What ? Are the tires dusty? :D

We'll have a cold one Friday night and shoot the breeze. I know you need this little break, and so do we. I was uncertain I wanted to drive my car 500 miles with 4.30 gears, but you only live once, so I am taking it.

Don

It still looks like a go for me. I'm taking my youngest son for his radiation treatment tomorrow morning, cleaning up the cars in the afternoon, packing in the evening, and leaving Fri. morning unless a medical emergency pops up. I'll be taking lots of photos to share upon return.

Thanks, Bob. Yep, it must weigh 40 pounds. :eek: Should hold up for a while, that's for sure.

Bill, I hope it works out for you to go. The break will do you a lot of good and allow you to recharge your batteries a little. Your cars are just fine the way they are, most guys would give serious body parts to own any of them, me included.

ONE MORE DAY and then we leave !!!!!!!!!!!!! I am really excited.

Don

We went over to the shop last night and had nothing to do on the cars ! :eek: Boy, is that different from a year ago. I felt like jumping in mine and heading out to Ocala right then and there, but I guess I can hold off one more day. :D

Looking forward to seeing a lot of old friends there and making some new ones.

Don

See ya there Don. We should be rolling in late Fri afternoon. Me, my oldest son, and my brother.

For all who may also be attending, I'll have tools, a jack, stands, most any fluid, tape, string, fuses, tire plugs, and misc other items with me. So if you need help with a repair find me at the Sleep Inn next to Garlits placeand you can use anything I have.

I'm going to try and make it. I really screwed up on knee the other day and walking around isn't helping the issue. I'll see how I feel tomorrow...would really hate to miss the chance to hang out with you guys and see the show. If I don't make it have fun and take lots of pictures.

-Troy

Just got back and I am fried. :eek: 500 miles round trip in a roadster with deep gears isn't the fun it once was. But thank God we made it safe and had no mechanical problems. Had to run along the whole trip with open headers at 3000 to 3500 rpms, so I am a little daffy right now.

Got to hang out with Bill, his Son Garrett, and Bills Brother Rod. I think the time away was good for them and it was really nice to see all of them again. We stayed in the parking lot of the hotel shooting the breeze with them until after 2 am, when our rent a cop showed up to guard our cars for the night, and after getting 4 hours sleep we were all back up again for the show.

The place was PACKED ! Everyone seems to like it being back at Don Garlits place and Don even had his own garage sale again this year. He was sitting at a table, signing autographs and selling his book. The building where they had the garage sale is only one of several on the property. There are shelves and shelves of NOS intake setups for flatheads, brand new doors for 50 Fords, more zoomies than I have ever seen in one place, and just tons and tons of cool parts.

I didn't take any pictures because Bill is the resident photographer, but I did get some shots of my old 23 that showed up. It made my weekend to see it again, and the new owner is really taking care of it. Very nice man too. I'll post those pictures when I get the camera from my Son Dan.

Don

Latest posts

Back