Father and son '35 hotrod project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. You hit on an area that drove us crazy. We too tried the 16" but couldn't get the look we wanted. After about 20 wheels, what we ended up with up front are 17" from a '33-'34, and with 18" off a '32 in the rear. The 18" were hard to come by. Then, on the tires, we had to go with 2 different brands to get the tread and pie crust to match up. Strange as it sounds, but true. Both are stocked by Coker tire. Fronts are Classics 4.78/5.00 - 17 SKU 69900 and the rears are Firestone 700 - 18 SKU 72575.

Thanks for the reply. your work and effort into the wheel/tire selection was worth every minute. i think it looks great. The guy i bought my 16's from has 17's and 18's for 20 bucks each, maybe i should pick a set of each up just to have around.

We finally got the Model A rearend all back together. It had been sitting in a junkyard for years and was all full of water when we got it, but the price was right. Turns out it only needed a couple bearings and cleaned up. 3.78 gears that looked perfect and a set of '48 Ford Hydralic brakes. Good as new and ready to roll. A wire wheel gave us the finish that we wanted.
345.jpg

Radiator woes

Now for the next hurdle. I picked up this radiator just before it went to a core shop. Not sure of the model but it's set up for a flathead. No shell. I've quick fitted it just to find the look I want but I'm not sure yet. Slope and height wise. At this height, the motor outlets are just a bit higher than the upper outlets on the radiator but it still looks too high. Not sure if an unpressurized system tends to vapor lock? Any suggestions? People have me worried about Flatheads running hot. I am planning on electric fans.
3451.jpg

3453.jpg

3452.jpg

I think with a shell on it its going to look too high. It looks sweet where it is now but with the added metal I think its gonna look funny. Love the truck though... Man that thing is bad!

I think with a shell on it its going to look too high. It looks sweet where it is now but with the added metal I think its gonna look funny. Love the truck though... Man that thing is bad!

Thanks for the input. I'm just not sure how a shell will alter it and the coolant level will work out. I guess, just stick it in and drive it and see what happens. Won't be too hard to change it around if needed.

seems like you have similar problems to me with a channeled, sectioned car trying to get the grill a decent height. i think just a tad lower to keep the top of the grill near the top of the firewall. still looks amazing either way.

Thanks for the support. Radiator mounts are in. Common consenses was to lower it so we did. I'm told a simple airbleed at the high point will solve the vapor lock condition.
4.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

seems like you have similar problems to me with a channeled, sectioned car trying to get the grill a decent height. i think just a tad lower to keep the top of the grill near the top of the firewall. still looks amazing either way.

Thanks, I'm thinking that's one of the reasons why Detroit never built 'em this way.....:confused:

Great build!

That is one super build! Great job guys ---- outstanding! Really like the tall tires! My dad taught me alot about cars growing up and his father did the same. That's one reason I like your build.

Mounts

We finally got the front mounts figured out and they turned out almost too simple, but that's the name of the game. Again, with making the cab come off, things are so much easier. In these shots, you can also see how we extended the steering shaft. It's finally hooked up and we can steer it around the shop, at last. We had to pull the clutch back out to have it rebuilt. We thought it was good when we put it in, but of course, it's was busted.

Attachments

• strg 1.JPG
    strg 1.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 166
  • strg 1 (1).JPG
    strg 1 (1).JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 152
  • strg 1 (2).JPG
    strg 1 (2).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 174
  • strg 1 (3).JPG
    strg 1 (3).JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 156
  • strg 1 (4).JPG
    strg 1 (4).JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 179
Awesome ride. I am curious about the radiator though. I like the way you lowered it - I think that looks a lot better. However are you concerned about dragging the bottom off of it or knocking a hole in it?? Truthfully, I have never paid any attention to how you guys mount the radiators on these type of rides - this may be normal.

Captive nut

Awesome ride. I am curious about the radiator though. I like the way you lowered it - I think that looks a lot better. However are you concerned about dragging the bottom off of it or knocking a hole in it?? Truthfully, I have never paid any attention to how you guys mount the radiators on these type of rides - this may be normal.

Thanks. Here's how we did the radiator mount. All the mounts in the car are done with a "captive nut" style mount. I was concerned too with the ground clearance but it stuck up too high and looked wrong when I raised it. We'll put some kind of guard down low with a moon tank out front, I think. Something to knock the squirrels out of the way. I don't know how others mount them either, this just looked right to me.

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 71
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 72
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 87
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 93
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 107
Sweet Build !!! keep up the great work. Yall have me wanting to build something else

Thanks. Here's how we did the radiator mount. All the mounts in the car are done with a "captive nut" style mount. I was concerned too with the ground clearance but it stuck up too high and looked wrong when I raised it. We'll put some kind of guard down low with a moon tank out front, I think. Something to knock the squirrels out of the way. I don't know how others mount them either, this just looked right to me.

Wow, that is a nice weld on that last picture. I'd be grinding for days - I presume you Tig that kind of stuff??

Wow, that is a nice weld on that last picture. I'd be grinding for days - I presume you Tig that kind of stuff??
Thanks, yeah we do a lot of Tig welding on the chassis that we build in the shop, but I've been Mig welding most of the stuff on the hot rod just to look right. We want the "Old School" look. Actually, my son's been doing the welding on the hot rod. He gets mad at me when I do it. :rolleyes: He can Mig really nice but he's still working on his Tig welds.

Latest posts

Back