My Model A RPU project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started bolting stuff together yesterday:

8dbec63e.jpg

5d619bd8.jpg

414a2fdf.jpg

6f49863f.jpg

9fd9043a.jpg

Bit of a problem, the steering cross link just touches the headlight brackets on full lock, so something needs to be fiddled with there, maybe less steering lock.

And I think I'll modify the wheels to give less offset, bring them together a bit more. Just need to cut out four welds to release the centres, and hopefully tap them over 1 1/2" and re-weld, but I doubt it will be so easy......

I need some rear axle bearings, so I can get the back end all together and wheels on.

Something that has always confused me a bit, but with the hairpins swinging an arc, the leaf spring going up and down at some angle different to the hairpins, steering, and movement all around, how can you tell whether the spring is binding or moving freely within the shackles?

So, I decided to fire up my trusty drill lathe and remove the shoulders on half of the shackle bushes, so when it is all assembled and loaded up I can visually see whether my hair pin length is adjusted to put the axe in line with the spring. I assembled it, bounced on the suspension a few times, and the spring 'walked along to one end. A tweak on each hairpin rose joint, bounce again, and it is dead centre.

Yeah, I'm a sad man. :D

8909a55b.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers Bob. I luuurve a challenge. :D

I just noticed this thread has had nearly 3500 views! :eek:

And here was me thinking not many people were interested. :eek:

Sun was out yesterday, so I fitted the back axles/wheels in place, and rolled it out into the sun whilst I cleaned out the shed.

ce8346ed.jpg

5f439d73.jpg

Threw one side of the headers on for a look see.

097aa1ad.jpg

8d56f3d8.jpg

2c72cc63.jpg

e13c1ad5.jpg

Going to start work on the body again on the morrow. :D

They sure look nice outdoors. And yours look particularily sweet. Nice work all around. I enjoy this build also from the standpoint of you being a Scot living in the Phillipines. Lots of subtle differences.

They sure look nice outdoors. And yours look particularily sweet. Nice work all around. I enjoy this build also from the standpoint of you being a Scot living in the Phillipines. Lots of subtle differences.

Hoi, I'm English. Is my 'cute limey accent' really that bad? :D

And yes,some sunshine sure makes the pics look better. I like sunshine, which is why I left England. [cl

Started plumbing brakes in..

f4d6caf7.jpg

And tranny cooler...

7277eefd.jpg

Got the newly overhauled (cleaned and painted and greased) Corvair steering box on...

b328a75a.jpg

And the extended drag link, complete with oddball spring loaded track rod end devices. All the rage 80 years ago, apparently...

bc354e6a.jpg

I was just getting into the groove when I decided I needed to stop and design/make an arched twin door window thingy for the new house, as nothing available locally would do the job, and I just fancied a bit of sidetracking anyway. :D

Just a few more brake pipes and simple stuff been done, busy on other things all the time nowadays. :(

There will be an electric fan in the middle of that stainless rad cowl eventually.

e0319945.jpg

133226aa.jpg

Ford 1" master cylinder.

1bc777d4.jpg

With residual valves, and proportional regulator for the rear discs.

b82c9d9d.jpg

7852d9fb.jpg

Got to find some P clips to secure the brake lines properly. I tried to make some... what a pain. :oops:

Made and welded in a battery tray, so the battery slips in neatly under the seat, but still above the bottom of the frame rails.

f615546b.jpg

Everything is covered in sawdust, grinding dust, sanding dust, 'glass dust and gecko s**t.

I needed to stop and design/make an arched twin door window thingy for the new house, as nothing available locally would do the job,

Pics of the "arched twin door window thingy" please.......carpentry is my other hobby ;)

Everything is covered in..............dust and gecko s**t.

Ya might give Geico a call..........they probably sell insurance for that :D

Your project is looking good! [P[P[P

It's a hard line attached to under the frame rail. You can see hose running behind it to the rearward caliper. Got me for a second too.

Correctomundo. I didn't want a hard line running the length of the axle so I have a flexi at each end.

Pics of the "arched twin door window thingy" please.......carpentry is my other hobby ;)

[P[P[P

Actually it is made from steel. :D

fe30a087.jpg

Cool project keep it up and you will be on the road in no time.

Unfortunatly last month we moved into our new house, utter chaos now reigns and my project is now undercover, shoved in my new workshop, with only two hours invested in it in the last two months. :(

I had such great plans for all this, but it never happened.

681077e3.jpg

Life happens..when you get all settled into the new place and life calms down, it'll be there ready for the next phase of the build.. its a cool build by the way..really like it..

Tim

Thanks guys, I'm back in the Gulf of Mexico right now, but 3 1/2 more weeks and I'll be heading home. :D

Lots of shelves and cupboards and wardrobes to make, (some for the garage) lots of gardening, landscaping, picture hanging etc, but I'm sure I'll fit some hours into the RPU project.

There is still some house welding to do too, finishing off the stair rails, so not all bad. [;)

d371b4d5.jpg

Things have moved along, we're settled into the house so I just bust my balls for the last month on the hot rod, and did minimal house 'stuff' for a change.

61b051d5.jpg

I gave the body a quick coat of epoxy grey primer, as I was sick of looking at white 'glass.

IMG_7130_zps5e64e2fb.jpg

IMG_7123_zps091b9613.jpg

IMG_7122_zps32d36c08.jpg

I fitted some Brooklands screens, not sure if they 'work' though.

IMG_7180_zpse062f469.jpg

Some bling.

IMG_7160_zps89d12998.jpg

IMG_7702_zpsae4fbfd8.jpg

IMG_7701_zps8eb4b8e7.jpg

IMG_7700_zps267f6a8b.jpg

IMG_7699_zps64509d3f.jpg

The motor fired right up, but I have brake and trans problems, that have driven me up the wall. I think the trans has gummed up after sitting for nigh on two years after overhaul, as there is no reverse, and it was all 'drive' to start with, even in reverse. Now I have neutral, but still no reverse.

Brakes, well, I have a disc/drum MC, which is simply not big enough for disc/disc.

Latest posts

Back