Nick's 52 Chevy COE build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been super busy with work and family. Had to work on the shop some as well to make working on this pig a bit easier.

Today I lifted the cab up on to some tall stands I made for my 95 YJ on Rocks. This is making getting under the cab much easier. I guess you can call it a poor mans four post hoist.

Cleaned up under the drivers fender. Pulled the headlamps and turn signals. Popped out a couple dents.

Compared to my 52 yours is cherry! [cl

I like how you are going about this.[P

That cab sure looks to be in great condition.

Compared to my 52 yours is cherry! [cl

I like how you are going about this.[P

This old truck never sat outside. Even after they stopped using it they pushed it into the back of the old barn.

It does appear to have survived well...the drivers floorboard and the bottom of the door jambs are rough.

Continuing the arduous task of cleaning the underside of this pig. 60 years of grime is not an easy task. Switching back and forth between a woven wire brush on an angle grinder and a pneumatic gasket remover.

This brings me to a question. What do most of you use for undercarriage protection?

I've used POR15, Rustoleum and Herc U Liner on my off-road rigs. I asked my 3M rep at work and he recommended the 3M No Cleanup High Coverage Body Schutz (08964).

Anyone use it?

I use the SEM Rustshield paint as a base. It's epoxy and an oxygen barrier like POR-15 and tough as nails. Then I undercoat over it eith with a EM spray undercoat (thinner application) or the Shultz style (much thicker application). My 1 ton flat bed / plow truck survived 10 years in the northeast salt without any rust through. I just redid it this year as much of the outer layer had worn off.

I use the SEM Rustshield paint as a base. It's epoxy and an oxygen barrier like POR-15 and tough as nails. Then I undercoat over it eith with a EM spray undercoat (thinner application) or the Shultz style (much thicker application). My 1 ton flat bed / plow truck survived 10 years in the northeast salt without any rust through. I just redid it this year as much of the outer layer had worn off.

Thanks for the reply

I have spent the last couple days at work developing a robot buffing process for a company that makes mud flap hangers. I grabbed a couple scrap hangers for Big Don. I also found some LED Stop/Tail and Turn signals. Would like to mount them in the hanger. Not sold on the style of led. I like the Beehive LED's better.

Those lights look very similar to the ones I went to for my "Sheets & Giggles" altered build. Small but very bright.

Attachments

• Taillight.jpg
    Taillight.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back