No dumb questions...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOUGIEB59

Ok, i wanna do a drop axle in the front, have a nice rack and pinion unit, can a fella affix a rack and pinion to the axle, in between the bat wings for a precise steer, w/o bump steer?
I just cant seem to turn off whats left of my brain cell... D/b

Someone's making a special rack just for that now but they're not giving them away. Think I saw it in the Speedway catalog. [S

Beercan

It has been done successfully. Like mentioned above the steering shaft to the rack needs to have a slip joint to deal with the suspension movement. I would prefer something with splines but I put a lot of importance on that whole steering thing. The length of the rack will affect things as well. A short rack is better so the steering links stay as long as possible.

I've seen racks used on mud boggers, they used a slip joint to accommodate the suspension movement.
The other day I saw on the news a big rig crashed and on it's side and was surprised to see it had a rack and pinion mounted to the front axle. Didn't know they used them - obviously they can work well.

Latest posts

Back