Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 07-12-2021, 08:18 AM
Old Iron's Avatar
Old Iron Old Iron is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Willard Mo.
Posts: 13,718
Default

Sometimes ya just have to move yourself to get back on the horse.
Looks great.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-12-2021, 08:48 PM
Couper Couper is offline
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Sometimes ya just have to move yourself to get back on the horse.
Looks great.
Yes! Thanks Old Iron.... Thanks guys! You guys help to motivate me. Once she's in primer I'm going to build a frame so I'll be snoop'in around here and asking some questions.

Couper
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-13-2021, 08:47 PM
Couper Couper is offline
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 297
Default

Once I have this baby in primer I'm going to start on a frame. I'm hoping you guys can give me some direction. I'm going to mock up a frame using some 2x4. I don't have a floor in the cab yet cause I don't know at what height the trans / drive shaft tunnel will be.... but I do know where the stock mounts were. I don't care much about frame weight and am thinking 2" x 4" x.188 and I would use inside "L" gussets for the rear kick up and and stack the motor frame on top of the cab frame. I'd like to drill a couple holes where the rocker will expose the frame and weld in some pipe to dress it up. I'm thinking one of those dropped axle single leaf spring front ends by total cost involved and not sure about the rear. I suppose I should have the front end / rear end on hand & tire diameters / wooden disc's to get the proper ride height? I would like to have some air bags so I can raise the ride height for driving. That's a lot of nonsense for 1 post but I'm open for idea's from you guys who have done this before. Thanks for reading guys.

Couper
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-18-2021, 07:09 PM
Couper Couper is offline
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 297
Default

Oh boy.....I must have over stepped
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-18-2021, 07:58 PM
bob w bob w is offline
Still crazy after all these years!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 11,616
Default

Sorry you didn't get any help here. Sometimes these posts go by so fast people forget. I'd suggest you look at several of the build threads here. Also look at Rat Rod Bob's most recent build on You Tube.

In my opinion 2" by 4" by .120 wall is enough but heavier is never a problem. I've never done air suspension but thousands have.

Just keep searching You Tube builds and build threads here on UDS.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 07-18-2021, 11:04 PM
zzrodder's Avatar
zzrodder zzrodder is offline
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beautiful B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,019
Default

I personally think the wood 2x4 mock up is a waste of time, but that's just me...
My fav method for frame layout is to do a full scale side view chalk drawing on the floor. First draw the profile of the cab then a line representing the ground level where you want it all full suspension drop if you are bagging it. Next draw a line representing the bottom edge of the frame rail. I usually put it a couple inches above the floor if you want to lay frame, this allows for tire squish. Now draw the engine/trans in profile, keep the oil pan at or above the bottom of the frame rail for safety. This all allows you to see where the engine sits in relation to the firewall, farther forward makes the trans tunnel smaller, something to consider in a small pickup cab. Now draw the wheels/tires where you want them, think about the front axle position in relation to the engine, you need room to fit the rad, lower and behind the axle looks better, but you also have to think about where the steering will be, tie rod, etc. and if you are using side steering or cross steering. Now you can draw the frame rails, leave some room between the rear kickup and the axle for snubbers. You can now figure out the suspension design, 4 link or ladder bar with Panhard rod, truck arm style, whatever - and where to put the bags and shocks, gas tank, battery, air tank, pump, so on. Easy to just rub it out and make changes 'till it looks right. I actually use the frame drawing as a template to lay the frame pieces on and tack them together, stack both rails together and clamp them so you can get them identically shaped.
This is what works for me, hope it helps..
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 07-19-2021, 08:40 AM
Couper Couper is offline
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob w View Post
Sorry you didn't get any help here. Sometimes these posts go by so fast people forget. I'd suggest you look at several of the build threads here. Also look at Rat Rod Bob's most recent build on You Tube.

In my opinion 2" by 4" by .120 wall is enough but heavier is never a problem. I've never done air suspension but thousands have.

Just keep searching You Tube builds and build threads here on UDS.
Thanks Bob.....I'll check out that Youtube and thanks for the tubing input.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 07-19-2021, 08:44 AM
Couper Couper is offline
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrodder View Post
I personally think the wood 2x4 mock up is a waste of time, but that's just me...
My fav method for frame layout is to do a full scale side view chalk drawing on the floor. First draw the profile of the cab then a line representing the ground level where you want it all full suspension drop if you are bagging it. Next draw a line representing the bottom edge of the frame rail. I usually put it a couple inches above the floor if you want to lay frame, this allows for tire squish. Now draw the engine/trans in profile, keep the oil pan at or above the bottom of the frame rail for safety. This all allows you to see where the engine sits in relation to the firewall, farther forward makes the trans tunnel smaller, something to consider in a small pickup cab. Now draw the wheels/tires where you want them, think about the front axle position in relation to the engine, you need room to fit the rad, lower and behind the axle looks better, but you also have to think about where the steering will be, tie rod, etc. and if you are using side steering or cross steering. Now you can draw the frame rails, leave some room between the rear kickup and the axle for snubbers. You can now figure out the suspension design, 4 link or ladder bar with Panhard rod, truck arm style, whatever - and where to put the bags and shocks, gas tank, battery, air tank, pump, so on. Easy to just rub it out and make changes 'till it looks right. I actually use the frame drawing as a template to lay the frame pieces on and tack them together, stack both rails together and clamp them so you can get them identically shaped.
This is what works for me, hope it helps..
Thanks ZZ. That's a lot of info to sink in. LOL. I'll go over this tonight when I can concentrate. Thank much!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 07-19-2021, 09:12 AM
bob w bob w is offline
Still crazy after all these years!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 11,616
Default

Very good information from zz. He's one of the best.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 07-19-2021, 10:17 AM
zzrodder's Avatar
zzrodder zzrodder is offline
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beautiful B.C. Canada
Posts: 3,019
Default

Tried to find a pic of one of my CAD frame drawings (chalk assisted design ) but all I could find was this one of one of my golf cart frames. Same basic rules apply, just overlay your body outline to it and so on.



Pencil is cheap so give it a shot at drawing your concept out on paper to scale. It can really save you some grief later on, finding out something doesn't fit or looks goofy. My drawings are kinda elementary school level but it gives some sort of an idea of how it could look. This one was a stillborn design, my original concept for my 36 Packard build, never say never......

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00893.jpg (47.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg nov 30 2012 new project.jpg (49.1 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Rat Rods Rule Inc.