Bamamav's 1947 Lincoln Club Coupe build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got a little warm weather last week end and this one too, so I got a little time in the old girl. Got the trans mount roughed out last weekend, sorry no pics yet. This weekend, I started on the engine mount cross member. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to try and drill the frame and cross bolt it in, or just weld it on. I'm thinking a single grade 8 3/8" bolt should be enough to hold the weight of the engine, might put two just for insurance.
Anyway, the angle plate goes on the outside of the frame, just in front of the steering box, the box tube runs between the oil filter and pittman arm. It will then have a piece of the same tube on the bottom side that will go under the oil pan, the engine mounts will be on this piece. Right side should mirror the left. Here is the rough tacked left side.

I will box the spacer in when I finish it. I meant for it to be on there with the open end against the flats, but somehow turned it wrong when I tacked it. Oh well, just a bit more cutting and welding.

Thanks Torchie, my time is severely limited anymore with the Grandson being here, so I've only been getting a hour here and there, weather permitting. Getting this crossmember finished is high on the priority list, I've been designing it in my head now for a couple of months. After it's complete, the engine has to come back out to find out why the trans won't pull all the way up.

Phil, I'm just using some stuff I have laying around that I have scavenged over time. The L brackets were cut from a piece of 4" box tubing, the 2" box tubing was a 8' long pipe stake I got on a load somewhere. About all I've had to buy new were bolts and welding rods. Yes, I'm stick welding it, I don't trust my flux core to do the job on this thicker material.

Great to see you back at it Bama.[cl
My 2 cents on the crossmember would be to bolt it in. Easier to remove if you ever have to.
Torchie

I agree with Torchie. Bolt it in or you'll cuss it on the next time trying to get the tranny out or motor out...

Thanks Torchie, my time is severely limited anymore with the Grandson being here, so I've only been getting a hour here and there, weather permitting. Getting this crossmember finished is high on the priority list, I've been designing it in my head now for a couple of months. After it's complete, the engine has to come back out to find out why the trans won't pull all the way up.

Phil, I'm just using some stuff I have laying around that I have scavenged over time. The L brackets were cut from a piece of 4" box tubing, the 2" box tubing was a 8' long pipe stake I got on a load somewhere. About all I've had to buy new were bolts and welding rods. Yes, I'm stick welding it, I don't trust my flux core to do the job on this thicker material.

I wasn't being critical of your metal. I'm using that kind of stuff and loving not having to buy it. I even got some free welding rods.

I see no reason to waste good steel just because it has already been something else. Most of our cars were something else once upon a time, too. :D

I didn't take it that you were Phil. Just giving a little background on it. Like Skip said, who knows where some of this stuff comes from. I recycle most of what I use, new stuff costs too much, I like free or cheap!

Well, another small update. Got both sides welded up today. I ended up cutting the block off and putting in one the way I wanted it to start with-open ends to the angle and box tube. Still have to mount these to the frame and then weld in the center piece, then build the motor mount stands off the center piece. Trying to decide if I want to use the single stud mounts I have now, or go with a set that take a long through bolt.

No pics, Grandson got the camera today and threw it against the wall, destroying it.:mad: Going to have to get another one. :mad:
Yes, he got a a$$ whipping!

A little update....

Finally got some more free time to get back on the cross member. Lots of measuring, looking, measuring again, cutting, fitting , tack welding, drilling. Now it's beginning to look like something. It will bolt in, then the mount stands will bolt to it, then the engine to the stands. Still have to finish welding it, ran out of rods and the store closed at lunch, so next week I'll get some and weld her up. Got to pick up some bolts to hold it together, too. And drill the frame to bolt it in. Seeing a little daylight on this thing now.

Got a new camera, so not sure how the pics are going to be sized this time, may have to adjust them.
EDIT: Looks like they are the same size as the old camera. Should be clearer, this is a 14 mp where the old one was a 10 I think.

Is that the cross member to go under the motor?

Yep. I had to build a cross member because the steering box was right where I need to put the motor mount on the frame. This mounts just in front of the steering box, and the mount stands are on the rear side of the member.
If it had of been a Chevy, I could have used a Hurst style front cradle mount, but Ford never used that kind of mount, so no unused holes in the block front, and I wanted to keep the late model serpentine belt system instead of having to hunt down pulleys. Ford pulleys are hard to match up, so many different variations, you just about have to get them all off the same engine.

It's easy to see why it took a lot of stand and look, measure, look again, measure, complicated mount! nice job.

Last edited:
Bamamav, I hear you talking (about Ford pulleys)!! I went through that nightmare on the 302 I got with no brackets or pulleys. I finally got custom brackets and a Gilmer-style pulley setup cheaper than I could find stock stuff. Good thinking on the crossmember! :)

Been knocking on it a little this week. Got the cross member welded, ground down, and rattle canned. Put it in the car, got the frame drilled and bolted it in. Went to put the engine stands on, and they don't fit. [S They fit before? :confused: Had to re drill one, going to have to weld some tube supports on the bottom of the other two, was planning on some anyway, just going to be in a different place. Decided I may put a cross brace between them too just for safety's sake. Not a big deal, just missed my holes about 3/8" or 1/2" somehow. And bought 2 of my bolts too short, thought I was getting them long enough, ended up about 1" short. Other than that, pretty happy with the fit, all things considered. Going to cross bolt it after I get it down off the ramps and get the tires off, bolted it top to bottom today.

Also ground the casting marks off my exhaust manifolds and got the gear off my distributor today. Got to order a steel gear for the roller cam, $80! Going to put the manifolds in the electro cleaner and de-rust them, then have some high heat paint to put on them.

No pics today, will take a few once the cross member is finalized. Just happy to make a little progress![cl

Shaft size is larger on the EFI engines, .531 vs .467 on old points distributors. That was my first thought too, but it won't work. I could get a Dura Spark distributor for a 85 Mustang with a carb, but I'd have to get a harness and a ignition box, so that option would probably be more dollars. I'm old school anyway and prefer the looks of the points distributor, might put a Pertronix in it later on if I feel the need.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back