1934 Cadillac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a day and a half I've been trying to come up with what to say about your flying eyeball hood ornament. All I can say is:[cl[cl and [dr.

Last couple days I've been making front bumper mounts and the bumper itself. It was a beauty day today so I got it outside for some fresh pics. To make it more photogenic, (and because I like playing with spray bombs...:rolleyes:) I bombed the ugly bare metal with various colours of Tremclad (Rustoleum).
I think the new lower head light position makes a real improvement, visually lowering the front end. Nice to see the grille in and step back to look at it - after making a center bar for it, I decided it looks cleaner without it, just a couple holes to weld up.

Attachments

• nov 13 11 34 cadillac 016.jpg
    nov 13 11 34 cadillac 016.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 150
  • nov 13 11 34 cadillac 021.jpg
    nov 13 11 34 cadillac 021.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 143
  • nov 13 11 34 cadillac 025.jpg
    nov 13 11 34 cadillac 025.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 133
  • nov 13 11 34 cadillac 042.jpg
    nov 13 11 34 cadillac 042.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 155
I was thinking no bumper. Do you have to have it by law, ZZ? Just seems a shame to hide that beautiful chin job.

Mr. Ball looks great by the way. No nutsack required. :D

Flipper, you're a madman!

Have you thought about finding an original 34 bumper? Hood ornament looks perfect.

The original bumper was a hideous biplane thing, I had it but it was mangled, plus it mounted through holes in the fenders - not happening in my version....:D

I was thinking no bumper. Do you have to have it by law, ZZ? Just seems a shame to hide that beautiful chin job.

Mr. Ball looks great by the way. No nutsack required. :D

Flipper, you're a madman!

It will need one to pass a safety inspection, plus it will keep people from stubbing their toes on the chin :). For me, it completes the look of the front end, adds that splash of chrome and makes it look lower.... also gives a place to mount the plate, a necessary evil here too.

Attachments

• 4207404-700-0z.jpg
    4207404-700-0z.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 80
I like it with the bumper. It shows how low this thing rally is. ...that and the fact that it looks really nice. :)

The car looks very elegant even ratted out.

Ouch! The 'biplane' bumper is one of my favorites - very light looking. To each his own, I guess. Carry on. [P

Even though the biplane bumper had spring loaded mounts, it was very easily bent and a source of many complaints when new - many were changed out to pacify unhappy customers - it was a one year only thing, in 1935 they went to a more conventional style. Maybe people were too used to spring style bumpers of the 20's that actually could take a hit and survive.....

Attachments

• nov 13 11 34 cadillac 004.jpg
    nov 13 11 34 cadillac 004.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 176
  • nov 13 11 34 cadillac 014.jpg
    nov 13 11 34 cadillac 014.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 169
  • nov 13 11 34 cadillac 027.jpg
    nov 13 11 34 cadillac 027.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 161
  • nov 13 11 34 cadillac 032.jpg
    nov 13 11 34 cadillac 032.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 165
  • nov 13 11 34 cadillac 045.jpg
    nov 13 11 34 cadillac 045.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 169
Personally I like it without the bumper, or maybe a shortened bumper with a peak in the middle to match the chin, or maybe even a couple of small vertical bumpers. As always the work you did looks great though. How did you make, or what did you use for ball part of the hood ornament?

I read that before about the bumper. May be wrong, but I'm thinking that was the first year Caddy that used the bullets too.

I dont care what anybody says, you could hang a pushbar on the front of that car and it would still look way bad.

WOW!

I love the hood ornament.
I love the bumper.
I love the big billet wheels(I am going to copy that on my next ride)
Car just keeps getting better and better.[dr
I am no good with a Mig or Tig welder,Doctors say I have something that makes my hands shake.I forgot what they call it.
I can stick weld heavy metal,but shake too bad to do the other.
Guess I will never be a sheet metal fabricator,but you guys constantly amaze me with your skills.[;)
Stunning car!

bumper

ZZ Is there a minimum width or height on the bumper to be legal? i also would like to know what it is made of. I REALLY love the rear bumper!! I would like to give a suggestion of making the ends higher than the chin somehow.[S[S If there was some way to incorporate bumper bullets of some sorts that would say Cadillac.[cl This car is awesome. You are a visionary. That hood ornament is the bomb!!!! Thanks for all the time spent to document your work for those of us aspiring to create something cool.

The golf cart build caught my daughters attention and she said "we should build one of those".
I had to be honest and told her I would not have any idea where to start. She answered "First we need a golf cart then said or a quad, that would go faster. Then just do what he did. Isn't great when your kids are young enough to believe My dad can do anything.

ZZ Is there a minimum width or height on the bumper to be legal? i also would like to know what it is made of. I REALLY love the rear bumper!! I would like to give a suggestion of making the ends higher than the chin somehow.[S[S If there was some way to incorporate bumper bullets of some sorts that would say Cadillac.[cl This car is awesome. You are a visionary. That hood ornament is the bomb!!!! Thanks for all the time spent to document your work for those of us aspiring to create something cool.

The golf cart build caught my daughters attention and she said "we should build one of those".
I had to be honest and told her I would not have any idea where to start. She answered "First we need a golf cart then said or a quad, that would go faster. Then just do what he did. Isn't great when your kids are young enough to believe My dad can do anything.

Nothing is cast in stone....dunno about specs or dimensions for legality - couldn't be more flimsy than the stocker I guess..[S. I made it from 3" exhaust tubing. The thing about changing the shape that bothers me is that it wouldn't match the rear and whether or not others think it works on this car, it works for me. Even though Cadillac used 'bullets' in the original bumper, I've never thought they work on 30's cars - definitely cool on late 40's and 50's but to me, they work better on customs than rods.

Latest posts

Back