1934 Cadillac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The jack stand and lumber picture looks really sketchy. Good to see it all worked out.

At least there wasnt any duct tape involved :D

zzrodder, I loathe your build (and I convey that in the nicest way). It makes me want to jump into a car like yours. Every time i look at it, my mouth waters a little more.

What a great job your doing with every aspect of the build!! This thing is going to be a show stopper once its on the streets!

The jack stand and lumber picture looks really sketchy. Good to see it all worked out.

Yeah, I know it's a bit nutso, kinda like Humpty Dumpty on a wall :eek:, but I've pulled this maneuver a few times and gotten away without having a great fall...

Body landed and shiny wheels back on, time for an outdoor photo op.

Attachments

• july 13 2012 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    july 13 2012 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 164
  • july 13 2012 34 cadillac 008.jpg
    july 13 2012 34 cadillac 008.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 155
  • july 13 2012 34 cadillac 018.jpg
    july 13 2012 34 cadillac 018.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 152
  • july 13 2012 34 cadillac 020.jpg
    july 13 2012 34 cadillac 020.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 145
Yeah, I know it's a bit nutso, kinda like Humpty Dumpty on a wall :eek:, but I've pulled this maneuver a few times and gotten away without having a great fall...

Body landed and shiny wheels back on, time for an outdoor photo op.

That is about the sexiest thing I think I have ever seen! Can't wait to see it all finished out.

I have been following your build from the start...this thing is amazing and I really like the black paint! Can't wait for you to get it far enough for the test drive.

Thanks guys !
Lotsa work to do on the interior, still painting things, buncha woodwork to prep for the interior and wiring do do also. Just made the glass patterns and have to take them to the glass shop tomorrow.

Attachments

• july 13 2012 34 cadillac 004.jpg
    july 13 2012 34 cadillac 004.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 69
  • july 13 2012 34 cadillac 012.jpg
    july 13 2012 34 cadillac 012.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 75
It's a bit of a letdown - when you get the body painted it feels like you should be done. But, far from it, there's always more to paint; more details to work on.

Glass has always been an issue for me. I broke the windshield on the '53, gave up and got a glass guy to install it and bought a new windshield. Good thing I did because I could never have gotten the rear corner windows in.

The F2stang, I took the patterns to the glass shop and had their glass guy come out and install - he broke the windshield and replaced it on his dime. Cheaper, I only had to pay once.

Can't wait to see your interior!

Found a cheap 78 Malibu ($300) and trailered it home today. It will be unlucky enough to donate it's front clip, power steering pump, master cylinder/booster, etc. I may even use the rear 4 link arms for the rear suspension, with a little reinforcing, they will save building my own. It even has a running 350 and 700R4 tranny that I'll save for a future project. It has the usual rear frame rot so it wouldn't have been able to pass a safety check anyway....

i have friends who would kill to get malibu sheetmetal like that to use to reskin their stock cars here, no one makes a malibu racing body like that do for monte's

It's a bit of a letdown - when you get the body painted it feels like you should be done. But, far from it, there's always more to paint; more details to work on.

Glass has always been an issue for me. I broke the windshield on the '53, gave up and got a glass guy to install it and bought a new windshield. Good thing I did because I could never have gotten the rear corner windows in.

The F2stang, I took the patterns to the glass shop and had their glass guy come out and install - he broke the windshield and replaced it on his dime. Cheaper, I only had to pay once.

Can't wait to see your interior!

I've been lucky with glass, but then it's all flat and I'm not messing with any rubber gaskets - they all get glued in place except for the door glass.

I've been lucky with glass, but then it's all flat and I'm not messing with any rubber gaskets - they all get glued in place except for the door glass.

You should take some pictures of your glued in glass. I was talking to a glass guy the other day and he seemed to think I was crazy for wanting to use ruber. He said he could install glass with their Urethane glue and trim it it and it would look just as good, and perform better.
Definitely interested.

You should take some pictures of your glued in glass. I was talking to a glass guy the other day and he seemed to think I was crazy for wanting to use ruber. He said he could install glass with their Urethane glue and trim it it and it would look just as good, and perform better.
Definitely interested.

Yeah, me too. I think even I could glue one in.

Yeah, me too. I think even I could glue one in.

Sure thing, I'll post some pics. I started using black silicone years ago, the only real drawback I've found is that it takes overnite to dry. I just use a razor knife to clean up after it is dry. Couple things I've learned is to mask off the paintwork and areas of glass you don't want to have to clean silicone off of !!
I tried some urethane years ago and had to heat it up, then it still set up too fast to work with so never tried it again. I talked to the glass shop guy about it and he said the stuff he uses is way better now and he'll give me the good stuff so I'll give it a whirl.

Started installing double foil backed jute insulation/heat barrier today to keep heat and noise out (or in depending on the weather), I use Lepage PL Premium construction adhesive - I've found that contact cement won't keep it stuck on the ceiling in a black car on a hot day.

Attachments

• july 17 2012 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    july 17 2012 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 87
  • july 17 2012 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    july 17 2012 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 80
  • july 17 2012 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    july 17 2012 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 90
Looking really good, ZZ. This came along at a perfect time as the insulation is falling off my Plymouth truck ceiling. Tomorrow, construction adhesive it will be.

Sure thing, I'll post some pics. I started using black silicone years ago, the only real drawback I've found is that it takes overnite to dry. I just use a razor knife to clean up after it is dry. Couple things I've learned is to mask off the paintwork and areas of glass you don't want to have to clean silicone off of !!
I tried some urethane years ago and had to heat it up, then it still set up too fast to work with so never tried it again. I talked to the glass shop guy about it and he said the stuff he uses is way better now and he'll give me the good stuff so I'll give it a whirl.

Started installing double foil backed jute insulation/heat barrier today to keep heat and noise out (or in depending on the weather), I use Lepage PL Premium construction adhesive - I've found that contact cement won't keep it stuck on the ceiling in a black car on a hot day.

You doing the floors too?! This thing is going to be a dream to drive!!!

Latest posts

Back