'29 Tudor - Rats-N-Rice Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
I got me another sedan. Just the body. Rusted out on the bottom 6"+, rust out on the sides of the cowl, but otherwise solid. Even still has an original piece of side glass (not that I'm gonna use it).

I plan to severely chop and section this one. Frame 4" off the ground. But, the problem with that is cramped with no leg room. So, I'm looking for a FWD drivetrain and front suspension out of a car to put in the rear for a mid engine setup. Then I can stretch the cabin area through the firewall. Which means I'll have to run a hood. Not sure about front suspension yet - the dynamics of a mid engine might require a IFS.

I had to cut it in half to get it in the garage. (any metal left outside will disappear)

Attachments

• IMGP4385a.jpg
    IMGP4385a.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 661
  • IMGP4390a.jpg
    IMGP4390a.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 649
  • IMGP4399a.jpg
    IMGP4399a.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 646
  • IMGP4403a.jpg
    IMGP4403a.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 647
Something like this. Except the grill and badly fitting hood.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Noble-heuter-1929-ford.jpg
    Noble-heuter-1929-ford.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 150
Mid engine is sick in a good way :D. How about a 79-80 Eldorado/Toronado FWD ? Then you could use a 500 Caddy or 455 Olds engine.... they are narrower than the earlier ones. Or if you're into the modern tech stuff, Caddy Northstar fwd....

Love this idea!!! Look for a busted up Civic Type R. They have a JDM engine in them making about 200hp. Would make for a fun ride!!! The other fun thing you could do, especially since there are so many of them floating around. GM 3.8L supercharged!! They had them in everything!!! You can probably pick up a good motor and trans like that for under a grand if you look! That would be an animal with one of those!!! Not to mention the tuning options! You could get that baby up to 3-400hp easy!! Holy crap my mind is about to blow! Oh the possibilities........... I think I need to go to the bathroom......... ohhhhhhhhhhh [dr

I'm using an Audi A4 transaxle in a mid engine project. I did't want the engine mounted transverse so I used the A4/VW Passat transaxle so the engine will be mounted inline. I'm using S-10 4X4 front spindles and bearing hubs to make the rest of the rear suspension. It's very compact and you can even use the cable shifter from a Porsche Boxter since they use the same transaxle.

IMG_1237.jpg

mid544.jpg

54meb006.jpg

Ok, I hafta ask. Rats-N-Rice? Are you thinking import power?

Yes I am. I want a manual trans preferably with a V6. So that narrows down the list of cars real quick. The Toronado style drivetrain is out - WAY too much motor/trans behind the axle - rear engine is incredibly hard to control in turns especially when the front wheels aren't even on the ground. :rolleyes:

I figure a car that has been rear-ended or T-boned would be a great donor - cheap, lower miles, and an entire drivetrain, electronics, and suspension system that isn't already wore out all in one package - available parts and even serviceable by most any mechanic. No minivans, etc. because of the high positioning of the drivetrain. I will replace the unibody framework with something of my own though.

PaulJ - what is the body you're putting that into? What's the length tip to tail? If I drop down to a 4cyl I think that'll open up my choices a lot more.

It's a 1954 VW beetle. I have the car up at my building North of town so I can't get the measurement just yet. The Passats and Audis come in V6 flavor too and it doesn't take up any more room!

Here is a picture of the engine and trans from the side. I just measured the engine (Still here at the house) and it is 18.25" from the front of the lower pulley to the back of the block where it bolts to the trans.

mid546.jpg

Last edited:
The length of the motor/trans was what I was asking for. Thanks! About 40" I would guess then. I had figured that setup would be too long, but that may be workable. It would also keep the weight centered better. I might have to do some mock up to see exactly what kind of dimensions I'll have to work with.

Do you plan to run staock VW front suspension, or something modified?

My car has an Art Morrison Mustang II based front end.

I had kicked around the idea of using that engine and trans in a sedan like yours. The rear of the trans axle would just stick out past the rear sheet metal. I thought it would look real cool to polish up the rear of the trans and make it the center piece of the back of the car kinda like an old quick change sticking out back there.

There is probably 18 or 19" From the axle center line to the back of the trans.

The car that really got me going to do a mid-engine build was Ferrambo being build by Tim Diver's Streetrods.

http://diversstreetrods.com/ferrambo/build.php

I know it's shinny but man this car was inspirational. I think the idea of a budget high tech rat sedan would be too cool. Looking in the back windows and seeing the engine just sitting there is something that has been racing through my mind for years.

Last edited:
Don't know if they're still available or not, but you used to be able to buy an adapter to bolt a SBC to the front of a Corvair transaxle. Saw one years ago, they had a plexiglass divider between the seats and engine.

Another one, I'll see at the next BA (buildaholics) meeting :eek: Even if you end up mounting the motor sideways for room you could weight the front end. A little trick I have seen done is add a coupe cross members (the same size as the frame rails) in the front and fill them with lead.

how about

Have you thought about a super charged 2000 Gran Prix GTP . Me and a friend was going to put it in the back seat of a VW, but he ran into money problems and sold the car. Would had been wild.

Sam,
I just read your Memorial Day post and then this. Just my opinion but running japenese power in a hot rod is like peein' on the graves of Pearl Harbor casualties. Bad enough I've seen toyota ads on the screens here. Might not be easy to find but a Fiero would give you v6 drivetrain as well as a usable IFS.

Blue

Latest posts

Back