50 International

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockb1

Built For Speed!
Well here is the project. I had been looking for a while and stumbled on this. I saw the pictures and thought I have to have this. It is a 50 International Cab 1 1/2 ton. I am told that it is an L series since it has the hidden hinges. I am not too sure if that is correct or not. I am trying to find a couple of nice doors but so far no luck. I also scored a 350 motor and trans. Great story... My neighbor just bought his parents house. He comes over one day and says he has a front end off of a Chevy truck just sitting there. He goes on to tell me that If I want it I should come take a look at it. So a few days go by and I start thinking maybe I should check this out. So in this guys garage sits a 71 C10 front clip, with that front clip is the motor and trans. He tells me he wants $100 for the whole thing. I couldnt get the cash out fast enough. The whole clip is in great shape, just a little surface rust. I sold it to put a little more cash into this project. I picked up the cab off of Ebay tor $50 and a 50 Ford drop axle for $35. Its what I have for now.

I am wanting a short truck no fenders and some sort of a flatbed. I have a couple of ideas in mind. I am not looking to spend thousands of dollars but I do want to have some fun with this. Hopefully I can meet a few good friends through this project. I have never done anything of this caliber and I am a little nervous. I have built many motors, and done a lot of body work. I have never welded in my life nor planned out a project this large. So hopefully with some help I will get this all put together and enjoy it. I am sure that this thread will be long with a ton of "how do you" questions. If anyone has parts, pieces or just whatever I may need laying around send me a PM. You see what I am starting with, its not a lot but it will be. Thanks for checking me out, I am sure that this will be a ton of fun!
:cool:

Nice cab.Gotta love those old binders.I've started on a 52 myself.Same idea too,make a cool rat truck with not spendin alot of $.Good luck on your project.:)

Well I havent done anything with the cab since i got it in the garage. I have been searching out steel in my area and I think i found a guy who is going to hook me up. 24' of 2x3 for $100 sounds fair to me what does everyone think? I have been buying up a lot of parts though. Surfin Craigslist and Ebay. I know I wont find everything there but until I can get out to the junk yard it will have to do.

I am hoping to get the doors off of the cab after Christmas and start getting them looking better. Then onto the frame build. I have a design on paper but i will have to get exact measurements to see if it will work.

I didnt want you guys t think that I ditched the project all ready.

International Harvester or International Farmall also a manufacturer of agricultural equipment made many types of farm impliments including corn harvesters or corn binders. Hence the nickname "Binder".

The first pickup I ever drove was a 51 L-120. Those are good old trucks. Those years should have a side hinged hood, open from either side or lift off. That is a great truck to start with, just a bit harder to chop with the curved windshield though.

As for gauges - seems to me, whatever you want to put in it! I don't remember what the IH dash looks like but if it has a flat panel type gauge cluster you could build your own from plain sheet metal and put a speedometer and tach in it by themselves. Then mount your others - volt meter, oil pressure, water temp., etc.. somewhere else. Or maybe mount all of them in the new panel if there's room? For me personally, a speedometer, oil, voltage, and water temp. are essential. The tach is always nice to have but you could get by without it.

1/8" wall minimum. Some folks here like to use 3/16" wall rectangular tubing for frame construction.

As for gauges - seems to me, whatever you want to put in it! I don't remember what the IH dash looks like but if it has a flat panel type gauge cluster you could build your own from plain sheet metal and put a speedometer and tach in it by themselves. Then mount your others - volt meter, oil pressure, water temp., etc.. somewhere else. Or maybe mount all of them in the new panel if there's room? For me personally, a speedometer, oil, voltage, and water temp. are essential. The tach is always nice to have but you could get by without it.

Thunder I was actually talking about the thickness of the steel I should be using for the frame.

Now that you have stepped up to the plate and are starting to head for the big leagues, you should join the "Binder Association". :eek:
It is a national IHC owners group and there are a great deal of us here on this forum already.:D I would personally like to shake your hand and pat you on the back for being a brave soul in building one of the best trucks ever made in our country. IHC trucks have ruled the roadways for as long as there have been trucks on the road.:rolleyes: OK, so Ford tried to take over.....who cares........lol....:p

Do check out the IHC.org place, you will find more information from there then anywhere else on the web.

Maximo

Latest posts

Back