50 International

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that you have stepped up to the plate and are starting to head for the big leagues, you should join the "Binder Association". :eek:
It is a national IHC owners group and there are a great deal of us here on this forum already.:D I would personally like to shake your hand and pat you on the back for being a brave soul in building one of the best trucks ever made in our country. IHC trucks have ruled the roadways for as long as there have been trucks on the road.:rolleyes: OK, so Ford tried to take over.....who cares........lol....:p

Do check out the IHC.org place, you will find more information from there then anywhere else on the web.

Maximo

hey thanks for the invite, Im always looking for more information.

Here are a few of the items I have scored so far.

RatRod001.jpg
[/IMG]

RatRod002.jpg
[/IMG]

RatRod003.jpg
[/IMG]

RatRod004.jpg
[/IMG]

I am most impressed with the fuel tank. Its my favorite purchase so far.
:cool:

Well here is the latest update on the project. I made a deal with dogpatch1. He is working on building me a custom roller in trade for the Buick. It will save me a ton of time and it will help me head in the right direction. Since I lost my job I have been looking at the things that I have to either sell or trade in order to finish this project. I also scored a set of headlights, ill post pics when I can.
:cool:

As for the headlights, they are chrome. I think with a little polish they might look really nice. The question I have is should I paint them. I think the overall color scheme on the truck is going to be a black on black, satin and gloss. So I am getting ideas on what to do??

Well I dont have any new pictures but I have been busy. We have had a few nice days so I made it out to a few junkyards. Man it is sad the things you see out there. Some of these places just dont care about their old stuff. They just pile it up in the back and bury it with more junk. Im sure that some of that stuff would have made great usable parts is now a twisted pile of rust. I was really bummed to see that happening.

Anyhow I am currently going through all of the things in my garage that I no longer have a need for and selling it off to fund this project. If all goes well I will have the cash tomorrow to purchase my master kit. DP1 is working on my frame and Im excited to see it come together.

I just wanted to let everyone know what I had going on.

Progress!

Well I started breaking down the motor. It looks like it has been rebuild before or had parts replaced. I could be wrong but the push rods and rocker arms have very little wear on them. Well here are the pictures. What do you think? I know its a mess now but im sure it will turn out great. I have to say I was a little worried when I first opened it up. Hopefully all of the carbonation and garbage cleans up and turns out.

Attachments

• Rat Rod 010.jpg
    Rat Rod 010.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Rat Rod 011.jpg
    Rat Rod 011.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Rat Rod 012.jpg
    Rat Rod 012.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Rat Rod 013.jpg
    Rat Rod 013.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 21
  • Rat Rod 015.jpg
    Rat Rod 015.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 24
Do your best to scrape out as much carbon as possible before cooking it. Judging by the caked on oil it looks like they were using Quaker State or Pennzoil.

What are the last three casting #s on the heads? Are you using the 2bbl intake?

I've used a block that was taken out of Massey Fergusson 510 combine that looked much worse than that, but after rebuild ran at least 100 races...and it's still around for my truck (needs new rings though).

Do your best to scrape out as much carbon as possible before cooking it. Judging by the caked on oil it looks like they were using Quaker State or Pennzoil.

What are the last three casting #s on the heads? Are you using the 2bbl intake?

I've used a block that was taken out of Massey Fergusson 510 combine that looked much worse than that, but after rebuild ran at least 100 races...and it's still around for my truck (needs new rings though).

Ya I scraped a lot of gunk out of it today. Man that stuff is thick! as for the casting # it reads 3884520 j206. As for the intake I am not going to use it. Do ya want it? So whats with the head #'s

If the last 3 didits on the casting # are 441,487,487X,993. Those are the top 4 I can think of, They are a really good head to rebuild. We used to run those numbered heads racin and they flow well. If intake last 3 didgits are 313, and its non egr, they are a good intake as well.

Any thoughts??

Well I put in an hour or so today before I got frustrated. I have a bolt with a rounded head. I rounded the head dang rusty bolts. Anyhow I turned the thing over and started on the bottom side. I have to ask does this cam look stock to you? Is there a way to run the #'s on it to see. I mean for the top end looking so crappy the bottom end sure looks nice. The bearings arnt really worn at all. It makes me wonder if the bottom end was rebuilt. Do people do that really?? Now if I get this thing cleaned up can I re use these parts? would it be advisable? The pistons dont even look stock. Take a look at the pictures and maybe someone will think the same thing??

Well after I wasnt getting anywhere on the motor I starting taking the doors off of the cab. I really need to find a buddy that can weld soon. I dont know how to weld and these doors need some help. I am still looking for another set but so far no luck. I guess we shall see what happens next.

Attachments

• Rat Rod 016.jpg
    Rat Rod 016.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Rat Rod 017.jpg
    Rat Rod 017.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Rat Rod 018.jpg
    Rat Rod 018.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Rat Rod 019.jpg
    Rat Rod 019.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Rat Rod 020.jpg
    Rat Rod 020.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 18
Your engine has a road draft tube & probably didn't have a PCV valve. They tend to get a lot of sludge in them. Pistons look stock. Looks like carbon buildup betweed the first and second ring and the second ring and oil rings. I would say the rings weren't sealing well anymore. Check for the amount of ridge at the top of the cylinders to get an idea of cylinder wear. Run your thumbnail across the rod and main journals on the crank. You should feel no roughness.
You really need to mic the bores and check for taper. Also mic the crank journals. I wouldn't take the chance on putting an engine together without measuring everything. For sure it will at least need the cylinders honed.
Looks like small valve heads which are fine but not anything special. Don't put a ton of money in them.
Good luck with your project.

Your engine has a road draft tube & probably didn't have a PCV valve. They tend to get a lot of sludge in them. Pistons look stock. Looks like carbon buildup betweed the first and second ring and the second ring and oil rings. I would say the rings weren't sealing well anymore. Check for the amount of ridge at the top of the cylinders to get an idea of cylinder wear. Run your thumbnail across the rod and main journals on the crank. You should feel no roughness.
You really need to mic the bores and check for taper. Also mic the crank journals. I wouldn't take the chance on putting an engine together without measuring everything. For sure it will at least need the cylinders honed.
Looks like small valve heads which are fine but not anything special. Don't put a ton of money in them.
Good luck with your project.

Ya on the heads I think i may just clean them up. I am going to mic everything once I get it all apart. It just looked very clean compared to everything else. I have torn little 4 bangers down and noticed how things all looked worn or burnt. But then these motors were beaten on really bad.

Latest posts

Back