50 International

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job Brent! Knew you could do it. Reminds me of the first, oh yeah, and only time I lapped valves. Nervous going in, but pleasantly surprised after.

It's fun following your build, proves a guy doesn't have to have years of experience, or have to know everything to get the job done.

Good job Brett! Knew you could do it. Reminds me of the first, oh yeah, and only time I lapped valves. Nervous going in, but pleasantly surprised after.

It's fun following your build, proves a guy doesn't have to have years of experience, or have to know everything to get the job done.

I tell ya what it has been a great experience. Like I said before this is the latgest build I have ever taken on. I am just approaching every situation with the mindset that I am going to get this done. I am having a ton of fun and learning a lot.

Keep up the good work. Just take your time and have fun with it as you go. I used to know nothin about engines or fabricating when I got my first racecar in 95. Now I'm a mechanic and Throttle and I used to build our own racecars. Now workin on my hotrod seems simple and fun,and I don't have to get it done by Fri nite so I can bend it all up, like the stockcar. You learn as you go and you'll learn something new everyday. Keep on wrenchin man!:)

Work done and a problem!

Thanks guys for the support! This has been a great journey so far.
I finished cleaning up the heads tonite and got them all put back together. I also picked up my block from the machine shop today. Here is the problem, so the machine shop that i have been using for a long time now calls this afternoon. I wasnt available to take the call so they left a message. I guess they cant remember what they bored my cylinders to. So no big deal right. Ill just take it in and have them tell me. Well I ordered my master kit today from northern. I really hope its .30 over because thats what I ordered. If not I hope they will exchange the parts without a hassle.

30 over sounds like the typical place to start, so probably a correct guess. If not, I'm quite certain Northern has had to make the piston exchange before. They're in Sioux City, IA-only an hour or so south of me...being in the midwest makes them pretty laid back/understanding and I've always had good experiences with their customer service, so no worries.

no problem at all! Whew, man what a way to make a guy worry a little! I took the block in this morning and had it mic'd its .30 over. Man I feel a whole lot better. I really didnt want to send all of those new parts back and have to wait longer, lol.

Well here it is. I finally got the motor out of my trunk and had a little while to work on it. I got the cam and lifters in. Tomorrow I hope to get most of it together.

Attachments

• Rat Rod 032.jpg
    Rat Rod 032.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Rat Rod 031.jpg
    Rat Rod 031.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 15
Well Im off to the machine shop Tuesday to get the new pistons pressed onto the connecting rods. I didnt think they were pressed on but I am unable to get them off. Plus I really dont want to screw anything up. I also got another update on my frame so Ill upload a lot of pics.

Attachments

• brentsframe4 001.jpg
    brentsframe4 001.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 49
  • brentsframe4 002.jpg
    brentsframe4 002.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 54
  • brentsframe4 003.jpg
    brentsframe4 003.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 38
  • brentsframe4 004.jpg
    brentsframe4 004.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 32
  • brentsframe4 006.jpg
    brentsframe4 006.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 37
Couple more

Attachments

• brentsframe4 008.jpg
    brentsframe4 008.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 31
  • brentsframe4 009.jpg
    brentsframe4 009.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 30
  • brentsframe4 010.jpg
    brentsframe4 010.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 31
  • brentsframe4 011.jpg
    brentsframe4 011.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 36
Yeah, the pins are press fit in the connecting rod. Not that hard to press the pins out but its easier to put them in with a torch and a pin press. You might want to get the rods checked for straightness and have the big ends resized while they are at the machine shop.

Nice looking frame. Are you welding the batwings to the axle or is there some bracket that I can see that bolts to the old spring perch on that axle?

Ya without the correct tools I just decided to drop them off at the machine shop to have them checked over and pressed there. That way I know it will be done right.

As for the frame I believe that they are going to be welded on. Im not making the frame my buddy DogPatch1 is building it up for me.

axle

yes the brackets will be welded on, i however am sending it out to have it done professionally, thru an old hot rodder who has made a many drop axle in his day. he has all the correct welding supplies to do it right. will post finished pic when i get it back. dp1

yes the brackets will be welded on, i however am sending it out to have it done professionally, thru an old hot rodder who has made a many drop axle in his day. he has all the correct welding supplies to do it right. will post finished pic when i get it back. dp1

Great! im excited to see how its gonna come out. I got some work done on the cab, nothing major bit its a start. I got the seat out, well most of it. The frame is a little frozen in there. I also took the dash out. Im thinking of getting it painted a metallic silver, but im not too sure yet. First I have to fit the gauges and fill all of the extra holes.

Attachments

• Rat Rod 033.jpg
    Rat Rod 033.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Rat Rod 035.jpg
    Rat Rod 035.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Rat Rod 036.jpg
    Rat Rod 036.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Rat Rod 034.jpg
    Rat Rod 034.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 20
dash

hell yeah! good job tear that sucker up. if ya want when i drop the frame i'll grab the dash and spray it with a crazy roth sivler flake and clear it and maybe pinstripe it too! fill in all the holes and get all the stuff done to it you want then i'll take it from there., george

hell yeah! good job tear that sucker up. if ya want when i drop the frame i'll grab the dash and spray it with a crazy roth sivler flake and clear it and maybe pinstripe it too! fill in all the holes and get all the stuff done to it you want then i'll take it from there., george

Dude for sure! that would be freaking awesome. Im gonna have to have most of the dash reworked for the new gauges and radio.

Got a little more done on the motor. I hope to have it all put back together tomorrow night. Hopefully?? I really want to start painting this thing.

Attachments

• Rat Rod 037.jpg
    Rat Rod 037.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Rat Rod 038.jpg
    Rat Rod 038.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Rat Rod 039.jpg
    Rat Rod 039.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Rat Rod 040.jpg
    Rat Rod 040.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 15
axles

your front and rear axles are over at the welders i should have them back by wed at the latest then its put together time.

got all the four link parts in yesterday from speedway. so ur axle will be able to go right in when its done.

i just have a few more small things to weld when my new trigger assemb gets here, like brake line tabs and a couple end caps on the front rails and then its done and ready to paint, gloss black.

i have put together some wheels n tires for rollers just give em back when ur done building (use these while ur putting it together so you dont hurt your new ones) so i can use em on the next frame,

give me a call later in the week im thinking next sunday if thats kool with you, george

your front and rear axles are over at the welders i should have them back by wed at the latest then its put together time.

got all the four link parts in yesterday from speedway. so ur axle will be able to go right in when its done.

i just have a few more small things to weld when my new trigger assemb gets here, like brake line tabs and a couple end caps on the front rails and then its done and ready to paint, gloss black.

i have put together some wheels n tires for rollers just give em back when ur done building (use these while ur putting it together so you dont hurt your new ones) so i can use em on the next frame,

give me a call later in the week im thinking next sunday if thats kool with you, george

Awesome! Would there be any way we could do it the following sunday? We have the blessing of the bikes on the 26th. If that works for you great if not Im cool with hangin around the house. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back