Hole in the head project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another idea is to switch to manual brakes. With no booster, I could stick the clutch master next to the brake master right on he damn firewall. .....no crazy hacking of the body required.

Or hydroboost?

I think there were maybe some chevy vans that had a compact hydroboost unit. Anybody know what I might be halfway remembering?

Edit: tahoe's have them
Screenshot_20240906_130934_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240906_130956_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I couldn't make the trip to Dad's this weekend, I'm waiting on an alternator to show up for the Yaris.

Trying to nail down what I want for stance. I went to the Triple Crown of Rodding and confirmed that I only love low cars. Do I want to narrow the front suspension and tuck the wheels in the stock wheelwells? Like this chevy II?
FB_IMG_1725925320423.jpg

Or raise/reshape the wheel openings for clearance and leave the wheels where they are? Along the lines of this (not much different than a C5 corvette).
Screenshot_20240912_195118_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
I think I could narrow the arms a few inches if I move the shock inside the coil

s-l1200-12.jpg

I don't think I can tuck as hard as my truck, but maybe enough.

20230408_105840.jpg

Raising the wheelwell would probably be way easier. I'm thinking just getting rid of the flat top, and going round. It should give me 2-3 inches more room?

Last edited:
Slam it? Keep it current height (invisible mode)? Halfway between those?

Life would probably be easier close to stock height. I remember how hard it was to get in and out of this as a 20 year old. Basically had to crawl out.
20240713_105555.jpg

Rethinking stupid low stance. I drove the flatbed to a show this past weekend and drove on some rough interstate. I feel like someone beat the crap out of me. Stock ride height might not be so bad.

The 3 vehicles I built before this last one were all normal height. Those were a result of having built a couple low stance. haven a bit of extra ground clearance makes the drive more pleasurable. You don't have to keep watching the road surface for dips and protrusions and if you happen to miss one of those dips of protrusions, you don't feel something hitting hard as it bottoms out, you only feel the bump.

This last one I must have gotten stupid again, or forgotten what I've learned. Its not stupid low, but is low enough I get to hear tires rub on stuff when I hit those minor road imperfections. There sure seems to be a lot more of those road imperfections then there used to be.

Latest posts

Back