more cooling questions?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geneo4116

have a 27 coupe no hood no fenders etc etc,put a 160 thermostat in, my elec fan was runnin all the time was like this when i got the car,so i installed a toggle to switch on as needed, but so far have never needed.:confused: the temp gauge has never went over 140, drove to farley iowa 250 miles round trip never turned on fan,checked temp gauge is working properly but never runs over 140, MY QUESTION FINALLY IS THIS NORMAL?

Attachments

• !Bn6gTz!CGk~$(KGrHqYH-EQEtu!hW!pMBLlZtqCNqw~~_12.jpg
    !Bn6gTz!CGk~$(KGrHqYH-EQEtu!hW!pMBLlZtqCNqw~~_12.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 13
I would double check my gauge,your thermostat would at least maintain 160 if your cooling system was better then expected. As long as your moving the fan may not be necessary but sitting it should be very noticable on the gauge that the fan wasnt running.

Well my friend had one of those thina magigees that you point at something and it tells you the temp and it was reading around 140 after we drove it for a while and then let it idle

Yeah, your lucky. If you want it to run warmer, put a higher range thermostat in. I'm guessing a 180 will run around 160, etc.

Where were you parked at Torquefest?!? I never saw it!

Mechanical or electrical temp gauge? Where is the sending unit/probe located on the engine? With a 160* thermo...water does not circulate until the thermo opens at 160*...something is wierd with this picture.....you sure you have water in the engine??? LOL

Mechanical or electrical temp gauge? Where is the sending unit/probe located on the engine? With a 160* thermo...water does not circulate until the thermo opens at 160*...something is wierd with this picture.....you sure you have water in the engine??? LOL

what he said and also is the radiator warm to the touch after running it.

And about the water in it. I always burp the motor when filling it up. I will leave a plug out in the top of the intake until the water/antifreeze starts coming out of the hole. put the plug in an finish filling. That way there is no guessing if the block is full or not.

140 is a little low for operating temps. I would try to get it up to at less 180.

Before you go through all of that I would hock up a second gauge to see if the first one is reading correct.

Sounds like the guage isn't working properly. Try installing another and see. I too would put a 180 thermostat and run the motor and check the temp. Good luck with it....CR

Had a '65 Chev 230 that wouldn't make heat in the winter. After many thermostats, we made a solid plate with a 1/8" hole in it and tried it. It heated up at idle, as soon as you went 40 mph or more, it cooled right down again. The air flowing past the engine will do a lot of cooling on a cold day!

well i live in wisconsin had it on the road since april, but really havent had a day much above 70, maily about 65, really no traffic jams up here yet, not untill june anyway.

Latest posts

Back