On the road

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a Toyota 22RE engine.

Is yours fuel-injected? I farted around with some [carburetted] Celicas and pickups back in the late '80s and, for non-fuel injection, aftermarket Webers made a night and day difference over the crappy oem carbs! I used a 32/36 progressive the first time and a 38 "outlaw" another time. I bought both carbs used out of the classifieds ($75 and $100, respectively, I believe). Best money I ever spent.

My biggest problem was the lack of a stall converter for the Toyota auto (or my lack of fabrication skills at the time for adding a clutch pedal and swapping the auto for a 5-speed). The one '77 Celica (20R) with the progressive Weber, a Crane Cams rally cam, JC Whitney header and Monza muffler ran decent for an automatic import (back then). Zero-to-sixty time was an amazing 13 seconds though! D'oh! You just couldn't get the tranny to lock up and go. I lost probably 4 or 5 seconds just going from zero to 5mph, and the shifts were far from firm. Still, it was fun at the time. And those Toyota motors were reliable and fuel efficient even with the Webers.

Fred B.

Yes it's fuel injected. I have been driving Toyota trucks for years and loved the reliability so that's why I went with it. It's a standard so no trans issues here.
I too had a 77 Celica, mine was 5 speed. Used to smack the gears so hard the pinion would hit the floor pan.

Lightspeed Mike

Mike, your truck turned out really nice! Kudos on using something different for drivetrain. Your proportions are "right on" and I dig that you used the hood. Are those Prelude or Civic Si seats in there? Bet they're comfy! I see you've got "old" Ontario plates too! :D Enjoy the ride, dude!:cool: Would be cool to see ya at Autofest this year, if you feel like the drive to The Durty 'Shwa.;)

Regards,
Shea:)

The seats are out of an Acura, cheap, comfy and easy. They don't really fit the theme 100% but they do fit my butt. :D
I couldn't use the old plates unfortunately so I had to buy new truck plates.
The rear bumper I built for another project, I still have but haven't finished it. I looked at it when I was taking the fuel tank out of the same vehicle for the Mercury and said I wonder how that would look on the truck?
Yes I plan to go to Autofest this year among other shows, I hope to see some of you guys there.

Lightspeed Mike

COOL! I'll look for the truck (and YOU!) there, Mike! I'll be the ugly bald guy with the red goatee and earrings.:D

Can't wait to see this in person. I saw a '34 Ford roadster there several years back-fenderless, tall skinny tires and wheels, with a DOHC Toyota 4 banger of some kind running 2x2's. All ratty and beat down looking (keep in mind, this was BEFORE the whole rat rod thing).

Anyhoo, see ya there!:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back