Start Of Fendered Modified

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigd4xman

Well, I'm a newbie here so I thought I'd post what I'm starting with. Going to use the back section of this, throw on a different cowl and build doors. Fenders are gone now, probably gonna throw on some trailer fenders and rework them, cuz I want to be different and build a modified with fenders. Going on a 29 A frame that will be stepped frame heighth in front and kicked up or stepped in the back, probably all using original frame material and some plate to plate it in and gusset it.

Attachments

• t_1[1].jpg
    t_1[1].jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 69
  • t_2[1].jpg
    t_2[1].jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 61
  • t_3[1].jpg
    t_3[1].jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 48
I have seen your project over at KB bigd. I've got to say that's the first time I've seen a roof section used as a cowl/firewall. I saw the cowls that you are replacing it with. It should look good when you are done. I'm just throwing this out there as another idea in reference to fenders. You could use smaller fenders and attach them to the axles/backing plates and not attach them to the body. Sort of like some of the earlier cars did. If I'm not making sense, let me know and I'll throw a pic or two up for ya.

Welcome to the forum. I like your idea, fenders would be different. It would be interesting to see this one come together, please keep posting progress shots. Don't be afraid to do that, if I put one bolt on my T I post pictures and an update. :eek::eek::D:D

Don

Thanks Gastrick, you made perfect sense, I'll have to keep that in mind. Donsrods, I've seen lots of your builds, you do awesome work, I've already got progress pics since I picked it up, but I have to figure out how to resize them or put them on a host site.:confused:

Welcome, looks a lot like the first mod. I built, used rear doors off a 4 dr. sedan, closed car cowl, and pickup back section. It was short not much leg room, looks like your body will have more room. I can't post pix. either but can email you one if you want. Keep us posted, and if you figure out the pic. thing let me know.

Pics, Maybe

Here you go guys more pics, these are the night I brought it home and did a rough mock up. Frame is getting stepped frame high in the front soon and have to decide what to do in the rear. Motor Mounts are made from Camaro leaf spring retainer plate cut down and angle iron for the engine side and 55 Chevy Truck lower shock mounts frame side. ENJOY!:cool:

Attachments

• 100_7583.jpg
    100_7583.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_7585.jpg
    100_7585.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_7602.jpg
    100_7602.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_7599.jpg
    100_7599.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_7595.jpg
    100_7595.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Rough Motor Mount Pics

More pics of the motor mounts, these were in the tough stage, welds unfinished, and marked where they were to be cut to be more symmetrical with the mounts going on the frame.

Attachments

• 100_7594.jpg
    100_7594.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_7540.jpg
    100_7540.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_7542.jpg
    100_7542.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_7545.jpg
    100_7545.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_7546.jpg
    100_7546.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 23
FOUND TREASURE! The hot rod kind that is.

Went out to check out a bulldozer my cuz was given and decided to check out the area, looked to be prime old car turf considering the dozer was from 40's or earlier. I ended up finding 2 FLATHEADS (one rebuildable) one CAST IRON POWERGLIDE (complete and rebuildable) another tranny which I don't recognize, and a couple oddball rear axles. This got me thinkin, WHAT ELSE could be out here? So I started snoopin around more and found an old truck frame:(, needless to say laying beside it was as rear axle(crispy) with the wishbone and spring I need:eek:, and on top of that a front axle with spring, spindles, one brake (complete minus the one brake drum/hub):eek::D. Needless to say I gotta figure out how to get it outta there! I'm seein a full mock up in the very near future right now.

Oh sure, rub it in...........you guys that live in the Mid West just WALK AROUND, and there is all this old stuff laying around !!! :D:D:D In the meantime us guys in Florida occasionally find a 1988 Citation, or something REAL EXCITING, like that !!! :rolleyes:

I gotta move.

Don

Got Front Axle!

Well, I ended up going and getting that front axle, leaf spring, spindles, and wishbone this afternoon. Let me tell ya though WALKING that out wasn't much fun through 200 yards or so of trees, brush, and weeds, that sucker was HEAVY:eek: but I think it was all worth it:D. Say, which front axles in the Ford family had the wide 5 bolt pattern, I'm hopin it's a heavy '32:confused:. I'll try and snag some pics tommorow for all of ya.:rolleyes: I still have to get the rear wishbone and spring, but there's no way I'm packin a rear axle out of there, especially since it seems to be shot anyway, anyone know how these unbolt/come off? It appears to be a match to the front axle.

Pics of FRONT AXLE

Here's my freebie :D front axle assembly I'm starting with. It's probably going to get drilled axle, maybe the bones as well, split wishbone, different spring hangers unless I figure out how to bend it after spreading the bones apart to get the shackles and spring to sit correctly, any ideas?:confused:. Anybody need a set of pretty nice juice brake backing plates? They are up for grabs, PM me with an offer if so.

Attachments

• 100_7613.jpg
    100_7613.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_7612.jpg
    100_7612.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_7611.jpg
    100_7611.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_7610.jpg
    100_7610.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_7609.jpg
    100_7609.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 21
More front axle pics

More pics of front axle. Any idea how to modify the front spring hangers to work with a split and widened to frame width wishbone?

Attachments

• 100_7608.jpg
    100_7608.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_7607.jpg
    100_7607.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_7606.jpg
    100_7606.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_7605.jpg
    100_7605.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 19
Got the frame almost done.

Well, I need to update and try to get some new pics up, I've stepped the model a frame I started with 4" in the front and z'd it about 18" in the rear. Got a disc brake kit installed on the front axle and got it all painted and powdercoated nice and split the bones. Also, on the engine and drivetrain end of things I got a turbo kit from Accel from the late 70's with brand new TO4 Turbonetics turbo I'm going to run and a race built Turbo 350 with around 2500 stall converter.

OMG!! It's like deja vu. I started my build with the same basic ideas, back half of a T touring, different cowl, make some doors, get it all to look like it belongs together. In my wildest dreams I couldn't have known what I was about to bite off. Even just using an A frame, boxing it and filling all the holes is incredibley labor intensive. I would like to be more encouraging but I would be lying and misleading you. I hope you are ambitous, and patient.

Well, I've had it for almost a year and a half and still gathering parts, got the frame togther finally, dropped about 400 bucks into the front axle for a disc brake setup and kingpins, machining, paint and powdercoat. Still gotta rebuild the rear axle, it's all been a blast though. Kinda thinking about a different body, we'll see how much money I get saved up this summer.

Mine has suffered through a few moves and some time in storage but it has been going on for I think around 4 years and isn't half done. The problem for me is my ideas change when something takes that long. It went from a flathead to a 425 caddy to a 429 Ford 4 speed to it present incarnation of a 260 Ford. Also maybe 5-6 different sets of headlights and almost that many grilles.

Latest posts

Back