suicide front axle question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd don't care about the square tubing, but I sure like the looks of that BDS huffer out front! [dr[dr

You can see more pictures of that car and others at the Morbid Rodz link in my signature. There's some blog posts on the main site you might like, and if you hit the gallery link in the navigation bar you can find a bunch of pics in the "blown roadster" section.

so it is more about what people like than about strength...if the tubing is thick enuf and strong enuf to support the weight it will be holding, then either rectangle, square, or round all can work--but does a 2 x 3 3/16 tube compare in strength to a 3" round tube of 3/16 thickness? how about that you "engineers?" ;):D

The rectangular ones shown here are fine and in fact would attract my attention at a show because I would want to see how the builder made his home made brackets.

27chevy024-1.jpg

THIS IS ABOUT HALFWAY DONE

Almost every time I have seen square tube used, the ugly part was mostly in 'execution' and not so much that square tube is ugly. there are some good examples out there that did it right.

And I don't get this "wrong forum" bit, ain't it all about hot rods? Lighten up!

We have forums for specific types of questions which makes it easier for users to find answers if the question has already been answered. If it didn't matter we would only need one forum on this site for everything.

I appreciate all of the input guys. I have a bunch of square tubing and I don't mind the square front cross member look. However, the comment Krooser made about it being easier to adjust initial caster angle is likely sage advice for a first time builder of suicide set up. Thank you.

The heading said "Rat Rod...Talk" I wanted to talk about front cross members. This is the most feed back I've received on a post here. Good feed back and good "Talk".

A guy could be tempted to post in the wrong area just to get feedback in a hurry... sorta gets things going.

Feel free to relocate this to any area you wish... I just hope we can still talk there too.;)

gold03

FWIW square tubing is less prone to flex and distortion under load, but in terms of a front cross member, as long as the tube is heavy enough to support the load it shouldn't make a difference

This set up was built back in the late 60's, Works great!!!

Attachments

• 1` upload 047.jpg
    1` upload 047.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 1` upload 050.jpg
    1` upload 050.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1` upload 071.jpg
    1` upload 071.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back