washer type for steering arms on a early ford spindle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollingthunder

On the ford spindle I have bolt thru steering arms..when the backing plate goes onto the spindle the spindle come thru the backing plate and the washers cannot lay flat on the backing plate due to the spindle coming thru...is there a special washer..and what length should the bolts be to not interfere with the hub? Thanks guys

Mine is a 37 and I used the hoop style steering arm sold by Speedway. If I remember correctly the washers were cut to clear the fillet of the spindle and then the nut screwed on the ends of the hoop. I`ll tace the wheel off,check and let you know tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks man! I fiigured I need to take a tip of a circle out of the washers..I wasn't sure if tthere was a cone type washer to use..

Well I finally got the opportunity to check what I have. I was mistaken, I have the Speedway disc brake adaptors on mine and the adaptor clears the spindle and the hoop nuts just tighten down on the adaptor, the spindle doesn`t get in the way at all.:D

The stock Ford setup uses short, square headed bolts. There is a grease shield that goes inside the backing plate that levels up the mounting area so the head will lay flat. When you are using an aftermarket steering arm you have to get creative, and I have modified the grease shield so the head of a grade 8 bolt will fit in there, and you can still get a socket around it to tighten it up.

Wish I had a picture, but my brake drums are already on.

Don

Latest posts

Back