What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that it's kooled down here in Cantral Tejas I've been able to start tying up the last lil loose ends on the Rambler! Got it running right but still need to do a lil more wiring work. Wired the neutral safety switch on the shifter yesterday & still need to hook up the universal turn signal switch. Since I lowered the front end I also need to get some shorter shocks & I'm headed into town after I suck down an energy drink... haha! One of my fav car shows on Nov 10-11th & I can't wait!

BoB
What show Nov 10-11?

Mow the lawn, got our 302 powered air compressor running and then spent 8 hours under the hood of a sandblast mask. Also took the littles fishing!
IMG_20240629_183239093_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240630_101441173_HDR.jpg

I spent the beautiful day with my lovely wife. We started off with breakfast at one of our favorite restaurants. Then we cruised through our local park and went home and spent a couple hours on our porch swing. When the sun got to warm, we took a very nice back road 60 mile ride in our 49 Dodge pickup, enjoying the cool sunny summer day. Then we stopped for some ice cream. After that we cruised another 20 or so miles west to the Mississippi River at Dubuque Iowa. There we took the short jaunt north to the Eagle Point Park. Eagle Point Park is along the River bluffs just north of Dubuque and over looks a Mississippi River Lock and Dam. We happened to arrive about the time a tug pushing 15 barges up stream arrived to pass through the locks.

The locks can only handle 9 barges at a time, so the tug pushes the first 9 into the lock, they disconnect, and tie the 9 barges to the side of the lock and then the tug backs the remaining 6 out of the lock, and the down stream gates close. The river level is very high right now because of all the rain they got up in SD, so there isn't a big difference between the water level above the dam and below the dam. The water raised up to the upper water level, then the top gates opened. The lock is equipped with a pull mechanism that pulls the first 9 barges out of the upper level of the lock. Once the barges clear the upper gate, it closes and the water is pumped out of the lock so the water level matches the lower water level. Then the lower gate opens and the tug pushes the remaining 6 barges and itself into the lock and the barges are tied to the lock side. Then the lock is filled with water until the level matches the upper water level, the upper gate opens and the tug boat pushes the 6 barges up the the first 9, and then all the barges are reconnected. Once that is complete, the tug pushes the barges up river. The process takes about an hour. Normally, the water level difference between above the dam and below the dam are about 4'-6' different. today that difference was about 2'. The process is kind of cool to watch on a nice day like today was. Eagle Point Park is pretty high above the river, right at the lock & dam, so you are actually looking down from above. You can walk along the top of the bluff on a sidewalk with a viewing fence that extends from both ends of the lock and dam. It is a pretty cool place, but there is a $1 charge to enter the park.
After the tug boat got through the lock and dam, we cruised the 70 or so miles home.

All I got done today was eat food, cruise 140 + miles in the truck, watch the tug boat and barges go through the lock and dam, and spend a relaxing day with the wife. I'm calling that a win.

Mowed and bagged 3/4 acre with a 21" self propelled Honda. Sold some parts on Facebook. Gathered the parts, and ordered one, to replace the Holley electric fuel pump with a stock mechanical pump on the Fiat. Tried to start the 4.0 Jeep engine in the Crosley for the umpteenth time. Fail. Went to breakfast with two car buddies. Took the little woman for a short roadster ride. Her first time in a hot rod in many years.

Latest posts

Back